Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Front Wheel Drive Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Front Wheel Drive Conversion

Not alot of thought put into it but has anyone ever thought of this? I mean FWD cars track straighter and could launch a hell of alot faster with the use of a beefier sway bar and traction bar. Plus you could get rid of alot of things in the car that weigh it down more. I would only think about this for serious people in drag racing. Just food for thought. What do you all think?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

FWD cars do not launch better than a RWD car.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

I think this has the potential to get ugly. FYI a properly set up RWD car should outlaunch pretty much anything.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RWD>FWD
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

now way in hell an FWD car will launch better, at the track they have worse traction than RWD cars...i have yet to see a decent HP FWD car not shake the tires...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

that's a GREAT IDEA!!!!

must be why NHRA Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock all are FWD........ wait, huh?

I'm gonna subscribe to this one, should be entertaining
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
that's a GREAT IDEA!!!!

must be why NHRA Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock all are FWD........ wait, huh?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

While you are at it once you convert to FWD keep the skinnies up front cause having a smaller tire on the drive tires mean more pounds per square inch so you'll get better traction. But down the road if you ever put a stroker kit in your car you may want to change tires. Since its a bigger motor it will weight more and you may bog with skinnies. -Mark
Old 03-01-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think this is just a joke
Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not alot of thought put into it but has anyone ever thought of this?
No

I mean FWD cars track straighter and could launch a hell of alot faster with the use of a beefier sway bar and traction bar.
No

Plus you could get rid of alot of things in the car that weigh it down more.
So would putting the engine in the rear but I dout that would do any good either.

I would only think about this for serious people in drag racing.
No

Just food for thought. What do you all think?
No
Old 03-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

Maybe FWD technoogy just hasn't caught up yet. It could have some advantages. I've seen some pretty fast Hondas running around here, from a roll in a light street car I would say they could have an advantage.....I don't have any track experience so I can't talk about big time drag racing.....but you guys shouldn't be so mean.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
While you are at it once you convert to FWD keep the skinnies up front cause having a smaller tire on the drive tires mean more pounds per square inch so you'll get better traction. But down the road if you ever put a stroker kit in your car you may want to change tires. Since its a bigger motor it will weight more and you may bog with skinnies. -Mark
Thanks for that post. It was actually worth something in this thread.

Honestly I think FWD cars launch a hell of alot faster if prepared/setup right. IMO...I think that if you take the time to engineer every detail of a FWD setup you can really make one hell of a drag car. But you all think I'm crazy. Thats fine.

I think RWD cars are waay overrated. First off...unless you take bricks and put them in the trunk...how in the hell can you use all of that rwhp you guys have? Half the time you are breaking traction as you leave the line until the car hits a point where the weight transfer/kinetic energy pulls the cars weight back and makes everything contact for full traction. Even then you are still loosing some wheel spin and the use of a traction bar is needed. Sway bars are also a big piece of the pie. Alot of guys think they are useless on a drag car...how and why would they think this? Seriously I feel that the car is designed from the factory to transfer much more power to the rear (even though they aren't fast stock) and in stock trim you have one hell of a chassis for racing. Do some weight loss and gain in places it's needed as well as convert it to FWD and i'm pretty sure you could run with any RWD car (of the same model/rwhp) out there. But thats IMO. No one's ever really went headfirst into a fast FWD car because I feel that they are scared to do all the R&D it takes to make a fast FWD car. I driven FWD cars all my life and they can be a nusiance sometimes. But once you learn where the power hits and you can control the power until you come under "positive traction" than you can really get there in a hurry. You guys are loosing sooo much "negative traction" or in other words wheel spin and you dont even know it or see it. Of course you guys are already moving too fast in the first place...but if you were to use a slow motion camera view you would definitly be surprised at what you see. The power should hit in the midrange area but at the same time down low becuase you will want the car to be on the verge of "negative traction" until you get the kinetic energy to a such level that it can take the full power of a car. Of course all of this is nonsense in a car that makes less than 400rwhp because you wont have enough power to get put into "negative traction" no matter how hard you launch it...regardless of FWD or RWD.

But what do I know...I'm a stupid wagon guy with 7 posts. ah well..food for thought. take it for what its worth I suppose. I feel its simple physics/engineering.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White_Liberty
Thanks for that post. It was actually worth something in this thread.

Honestly I think FWD cars launch a hell of alot faster if prepared/setup right. IMO...I think that if you take the time to engineer every detail of a FWD setup you can really make one hell of a drag car. But you all think I'm crazy. Thats fine.

I think RWD cars are waay overrated. First off...unless you take bricks and put them in the trunk...how in the hell can you use all of that rwhp you guys have? Half the time you are breaking traction as you leave the line until the car hits a point where the weight transfer/kinetic energy pulls the cars weight back and makes everything contact for full traction. Even then you are still loosing some wheel spin and the use of a traction bar is needed. Sway bars are also a big piece of the pie. Alot of guys think they are useless on a drag car...how and why would they think this? Seriously I feel that the car is designed from the factory to transfer much more power to the rear (even though they aren't fast stock) and in stock trim you have one hell of a chassis for racing. Do some weight loss and gain in places it's needed as well as convert it to FWD and i'm pretty sure you could run with any RWD car (of the same model/rwhp) out there. But thats IMO. No one's ever really went headfirst into a fast FWD car because I feel that they are scared to do all the R&D it takes to make a fast FWD car. I driven FWD cars all my life and they can be a nusiance sometimes. But once you learn where the power hits and you can control the power until you come under "positive traction" than you can really get there in a hurry. You guys are loosing sooo much "negative traction" or in other words wheel spin and you dont even know it or see it. Of course you guys are already moving too fast in the first place...but if you were to use a slow motion camera view you would definitly be surprised at what you see. The power should hit in the midrange area but at the same time down low becuase you will want the car to be on the verge of "negative traction" until you get the kinetic energy to a such level that it can take the full power of a car. Of course all of this is nonsense in a car that makes less than 400rwhp because you wont have enough power to get put into "negative traction" no matter how hard you launch it...regardless of FWD or RWD.

But what do I know...I'm a stupid wagon guy with 7 posts. ah well..food for thought. take it for what its worth I suppose. I feel its simple physics/engineering.
Damn, I think your on to something. I'll see if I can get John Force's number and see if he'll convert his car to FWD so he runs better times and launches harder.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
LC
TECH Resident

I would do a LS1 FWD conversion and put it on the back of a Fiero.. that would be a cool car...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Banned

Black00ssFL..hey why dont you ask for some tips while your at it...its kinda said since you're running 12s and all...

Hey man...you warned me once and wanted to break up another thread I was in...I'm trying to post here. Quit following me around and responding worthlessly to my threads/posts. No one cares what you think. Thank you...have a ncie day.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:45 AM
***Repost Police***

What a ****** troll
Old 03-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
What a ****** troll
Listen here post *****...go get off to your # of posts since thats all you seem to do...post worthless info about other people. You sound like your 9.

Stay the hell out of my thread...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Luis Castellanos
I would do a LS1 FWD conversion and put it on the back of a Fiero.. that would be a cool car...
That would definately be sweet....btw for the record...this was originally in one of the newb forums but was moved
Old 03-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by White_Liberty
I think RWD cars are waay overrated. First off...unless you take bricks and put them in the trunk...how in the hell can you use all of that rwhp you guys have? Half the time you are breaking traction as you leave the line until the car hits a point where the weight transfer/kinetic energy pulls the cars weight back and makes everything contact for full traction. Even then you are still loosing some wheel spin and the use of a traction bar is needed. Sway bars are also a big piece of the pie. Alot of guys think they are useless on a drag car...how and why would they think this?
I'm not trying to flame you for your questions/comments, so before you attack me as well, let me tell you what I know. I know a lot about suspension/drivetrain setups as I have tried a lot of combinations in different cars. I had a 00 Camaro Z28. Cam only, it made 365hp to the wheels. I ran consistent 10.80s on "not so prepped" tracks. The car wasn't gutted, it weighed about 3300 with me in it. I did not have ANY sway bars on the car. None. No bricks. No ladder bars either. All I had for suspension was $90 tubular non adjustable LCAs, $ 300 torque arm set at only -2*, $40 50/50 shocks in back, and a $40 airbag in the right rear spring set at 10 p.s.i. On a MT drag radial, I cut 1.46 60 fts all day long. Show me ONE FWD car that is making the same amount of power, with the same amount (or lack there of) suspension work that runs the same number for the same cost. You won't be able to. RWD has been proven to be superior to FWD. That is why performance cars are built that way. Automobile manufacturers have done a lot more R&D than I have and they have come to the same conclusion. Should you not try it? No. You are more than welcome to try anything you would like. I'm just letting you know that it will take a lot more power, more time, more parts, and ultimately more money to produce the same results. I wish you the best of luck in your quest.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Matt D...I appreciate your contribution to this thread. I dont want anyone to think that I'm out to "attack" anyone...because I'm not. I'm just trying to convey ideas and share "tech" info. I understand many will take my words w/ a grain of sand. Thats fine...I'm sure I sound crazy.

But I do have to ask...what was your reasoning for ditching the sway bars? Apparently you weren't concerned with weight loss since you already said that the care weighed 3300 with you in it.

lol...to be honest...I'm not sure where my quest will take me. But I do like to share ideas/opinions as well as other technical info to help me better my knowledge on certain concepts/ideas. I do appreciate those posts that aren't aimed at flaming me or my car as well as my ideas. Thanks

Quick Reply: LS1 Front Wheel Drive Conversion