Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To those running mufflers off of the headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default To those running mufflers off of the headers

My car is stock internals and has 3" true duals with an x pipe, Sweet Thunders, and then dumps before the axle. I am looking to run the 18" total length (12" installed length) stainless Moroso Spiral Flows off of the 3" collectors (with no extensions), then either a 9" or 12" turndown after the mufflers. With the recent gains I have been seeing among the top SI cars, is there any reason why I shouldn't do it other than the noise increase? I plan on keeping it stock internals for quite some time, but do daily drive it, & will be taking it on the long haul for Power Tour. Let me know your thoughts guys, thanks!

Matt

Last edited by Matt D; 03-11-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im doin it...they look nice...and shave a lotta weight
Old 03-11-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im doin the set up you got now matt. the x pipe with dumped bullets. ure car sounds badass
Old 03-11-2007, 03:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

be sure to load up a sound clip when your done.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
im doin the set up you got now matt. the x pipe with dumped bullets. ure car sounds badass
Thanks man. I do like the sound of it with the Sweet Thunders, but I can't run a chassis mounted torque arm w/ a driveshaft loop, they are heavy, and are always in the way when I am working under there. Daily driving it should be no problem but I might get sick of it on Power Tour.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

look for the mufflers SUX2BU ran. Those magnaflow's that are a "full body" muffler instead of a bullet, are a straight through design, but they definitely kept the noise down compared to the bullets that were on it.
i ran them off the mufflers and never got hassled. do a search in this section for that
Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

I run bullets and turndowns off the headers and picked up 3tenths and 3mph over a Hooker y with a bullet and turndown. H/C though.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the benefit of running this setup compared to a X pipe?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
Whats the benefit of running this setup compared to a X pipe?
lighter
less trouble with ground clearance
less trouble with drivetrain/chassis clearance
more HP in most cases IMO
Old 03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am looking to do the same except with a set of dynatech mufflers, here is a pic of them and a link to buy them!!

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...50918_-1_10265
Attached Thumbnails To those running mufflers off of the headers-dynatech-muffler.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
Look for the mufflers SUX2BU ran. Those Magnaflow's that are a "full body" muffler instead of a bullet, are a straight through design, but they definitely kept the noise down compared to the bullets that were on it.
i ran them off the mufflers and never got hassled. do a search in this section for that
Search is being a pain in the ***, that's why I posted this. He had to beat his floor in pretty good if I'm not mistaken. I am not looking to do that. I talked to Magnus, and he told me to run about 18" of piping after the O2s if I am keeping the car in closed loop mode, which I am. I figure with the installed length of the muffler (12") and a 9" turndown, hopefully that should be enough. The Spiral Flows should deaden the sound more than a regular bullet muffler. The sound itself isn't keeping me on the fence, it is the power to be gained/lost that I am wondering. If anyone has examples of their setups, I would appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Retired Street Racer

look for the mufflers SUX2BU ran. Those magnaflow's that are a "full body" muffler instead of a bullet, are a straight through design, but they definitely kept the noise down compared to the bullets that were on it.
Hmmmm. After reading some of the stuff SlowZ28 & SUX2BU said, I think I am gonna go with the Magnaflows. Which ones do you think would be better. http://store.summitracing.com/Compar...eSKU=MPE-14319
Old 03-11-2007, 03:46 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I put the Spiral Flows on like you're describing. Just clamped them to my headers and put dumps on them. The ground clearance on the DS is really bad. I am going to run some pipe to put the muffler in a better spot. The passenger side fits great.

BTW, didn't you used to run the same setup on the black car?

Its loud, not unbearable, but I don't think I'd DD it. Everyone is different though. I kept my 3" TD system with super turbos in one piece, I can swap exhausts in 20 or 30 minutes. The added room is nice though with the short system, I know that.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

you'll have to bang either way... when i ran the single chamber flowmasters i had to on my old car as well

mine are the ones that SUX2BU got. they are like 9" wide, 4" tall, and 16 or 18" long, forgot which.

i didn't bang my floor at all, but then again they aren't tucked up like his were in the photos. mine were pointed down at an angle on the driver's side so it dind't mess with the seat re-inforcement area.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by TS6
I put the Spiral Flows on like you're describing. Just clamped them to my headers and put dumps on them. The ground clearance on the DS is really bad. I am going to run some pipe to put the muffler in a better spot. The passenger side fits great.

BTW, didn't you used to run the same setup on the black car?

Its loud, not unbearable, but I don't think I'd DD it. Everyone is different though. I kept my 3" TD system with super turbos in one piece, I can swap exhausts in 20 or 30 minutes. The added room is nice though with the short system, I know that.
Yeah, I had a similar setup on my black car, but I had the TSP MS3 cam & Flow Pro Twisters. It was fuggin loud! The passenger side was fine, but the driver side hung pretty low.

I wonder if I am going to have clearance issues with the oval Magnaflows...
Old 03-11-2007, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

i was planning on running this same setup. Was just going to hang dynomax bullets off the pacesetters, then put a turn down pointed towards the outside of the car, kinda at a 45* angle towards the outside. I know it will be loud, but after all, i like that sound :-)
Old 03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you'll have to bang either way... when i ran the single chamber flowmasters i had to on my old car as well

mine are the ones that SUX2BU got. they are like 9" wide, 4" tall, and 16 or 18" long, forgot which.

i didn't bang my floor at all, but then again they aren't tucked up like his were in the photos. mine were pointed down at an angle on the driver's side so it dind't mess with the seat re-inforcement area.

How did the 1 Chambers fit off the headers, I was wondering if they would. I started a thread and got no replies!! Did they sound good?

Also does anyone have Pics of there off the header setups

Dan
Old 03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Matt its quite loud but my car is what it is.You might pull it off with the stocker,BTW why are you still running o2s put that thing in sd mode and be done with it.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by tuff
Matt its quite loud but my car is what it is.You might pull it off with the stocker,BTW why are you still running o2s put that thing in sd mode and be done with it.
I daily drive it, including the winter time. I had thought about going SD, but I doubt I would see that much of an increase. I don't feel like messing with the tune after each pass. I just want to run the car and have fun without a hassle.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by Matt D
I daily drive it, including the winter time. I had thought about going SD, but I doubt I would see that much of an increase. I don't feel like messing with the tune after each pass. I just want to run the car and have fun without a hassle.
Then throw a bullet at it and let it rip!!!

Quick Reply: To those running mufflers off of the headers