Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose a tire size!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me choose a tire size!

Well I've been doing a lot of research and wanted to get some opinions for my car specifically.

My first dilemma is tire height. Its a tossup between 26'' and 27''. I don't really want to go with a 28'' tire because a.) My car will not be trapping in the 140s and b.) My car is lowered on the eibach pro-kit. But I want to do the least amount of working to make the tire fit, so keep that in mind throughout my post. I am using 7/16'' spacers as well. I guess I should still be using the 7.5'' backspace on a 10'' wheel.

I don't know what my car will trap honestly. I'm guessing low to mid 120s. Mind you it is basically a full weight car, making the power numbers in my sig. With a gear and tire size calculator, It says I will be doing 129 mph w/ the 26'' tires (3.89 gear). With the 27'' tire, at 6500 rpm I'll be doing 134 mph. I think I should be ok with the 26s, but I want to know what you guys think.

Onto my second size dilemma, width. I've pretty much decided on a 15''x10'' wheel for the rear. I want the most tire that I can fit under there because my suspension is not totally setup for drag racing. Yeah I've got nice LCAs, relo. brackets, a nice torque, and all that, but my spring/shock combo isn't the best for drag racing. I've got eibach pro-kit springs and Koni SA shocks. I know those aren't the best for drag racing, but that isn't the only thing I do with this car. I wanted it to be fun to drive on the street as well, and have a nice stance, so please don't recommend that I should go with a different shock. It's a compromise I'm willing to live with.

Anyways... The most common width I'm seeing used is the 11.5'' tire. That's what I'm leaning toward because that's what I've seen used the most often. If you have any input on that, let me know what you think.

I know my car isn't gonna be cutting the best 60 foots due to the suspension I have in place, but I hope to cut some 1.6x with the best tire I can put on the car.

Thanks for any and all input you can offer, it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my car on stock rear springs w/bump stops removed & a little grinding in the bump stops mount area, a 28x11.50-15 on a 9.75 Bogart does not rub the wheel wells. As far as diameter is concerned I would go taller 1st if you think they will fit. With the 27s & since it's lowered you may have to adjust the rear fender openings a bit.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

if yur car is lowered, then 26 in. definitly!
Old 03-21-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far it looks like I'm going with a 26x11.5x15...

Bump for more opinions!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:27 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the spring rubbers removed, and I used a piece of fuel hose to isolate the springs, lowering the rear about 3/4 of an inch roughly... and the hoosier 27x11x15 qtp's fit with no modding the wheel well at all.

I'll be swapping a set of 28's on though becaues the hoosiers aren't enough tire to get my car to dead hook... so they will be for sale soon. There's 10 passes on them.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

What is the gear ratio you are running? I assume 3.89 from your post. What is the limiter at and where does the car make peak hp? With a full weighted car I'd go with a smaller tire (26"). The car will be more stable on the top end, able to get and keep you in your powerband quicker out the hole, and less problems with fitment. -Mark

Quick Reply: Help me choose a tire size!