Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best non weld in torque arm set up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default best non weld in torque arm set up.

links and 60's please.. im worried about my stocker with the new power on the 2 step

if there is one that was a driveshaft loop combo that relocated the torque arm off of the transmission that would be really what i'm looking for.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2003, 05:45 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best non weld in torque arm set up.

Didnt know a weld in ta was even available,never heard of one.Anyway I have a Spohn ta that mounts to crossmember not tranny its adjustable but kinda heavy.Think BMR makes one also.I hogged out the top holes on 2 factory tas, after putting in the beefy Spohn no problems.With the power your making you will definitely need to upgrade.When pinion angle is set at -3 degrees will improve launch at track.Has built in loop also
Old 05-07-2003, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

The spohn sounds like the best bet. It is kinda heavy but it's very rugged. You can get it with a loop too.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Spohn adjustable TA. I highly recommend it. It is a quality piece. Works very well on my lowered TA (after some slight modifications). There are 2 issues to be aware of if your vehicle is lowered:

1. The rear arm mount on the 12 bolt touches the tunnel. We had to notch out a 5x5 piece and make a recessed sheet metal cover, welded from inside the car.

2. The cross member has an area designed for exhaust clearance. This hangs a mere 2 inches off the ground on a car with the Eibach Pro Kit. I had to hack the "dip" out and weld in straight tubing.

Steve is aware of these issues and informed me of them BEFORE I ordered it. Give him a call. He has been very helpful and informative everytime I have called to research and order parts.

www.spohn.net

With an SY3500, lowered, full interior (3700#), on Nitto DR's the car has cut a 1.66 best 60'. It is consistant in the 1.7's though.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:04 PM
Teching In

I also have the Spohn Adjustable Torque arm. The crossmember does hang low. But my car is not lowered so no problems except speed bumps. None of those down the strip so Im not worried. All of my suspension add ons are Spohn high quality stout stuff. Going to the strip this friday to see if my efforts are rewarded with some nice 60'times. It's nice to see the shiney red powdercoated pieces peeking out from under the car starring down the lowered all bling and no go Tunersalads out there.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

well it looks pretty overwhelming.. ill have to check into it! thanks fellas. i'll call them tomorrow.

so will this actually slap on to my moser 12bolt with no grinding etc.

think its worth getting chromoly? i really dont want to add any weight to the car with the 12bolt and turbo allready loading it down.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

what about the LG TA? I hear it is very nice.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Didnt know a weld in ta was even available,never heard of one.
FWIW, what he's referring to is the crossmember, not actually the torque arm... For instance, my Madman torque arm has a crossmember that bolts to two pairs of tabs that are welded to the subframe connectors...
Old 05-08-2003, 07:56 AM
7 Second Club

Mightymouse I have moser 12-bolt also,didnt have to grind anything.Spohn is kinda pricey but worth it IMO.You up and running yet,I know you had problems with LS1MS kit mine will be installed real soon.Dyno # track times?
Old 05-08-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, for the Moser 12 bolt guys, is your Spohn TA bar aligned with the driveshaft? My Moser 12 bolt and spohn were way off plus the large bracket was almost touching my tunnel! I made sure my axle was centered. I had to use the second set of bolt holes which meant I had to grind the spohn TA bracket where it mounts to the axle. I talked to Steve about this and he said to grind it and use the second set of holes. Does anyone have pictures of their Spohn installed on a Moser 12 bolt?? After installing it and driving it, I can say that it makes some thudding noise with a M6. I was told this is a normal sound from the shackle design in the front.

pics of my Spohn TA using the 2nd set of holes:
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...ts/spohnta.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta2.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta3.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta4.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta5.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta6.jpg

The pics aren't that great. I still had to put the nuts a few bolts when I snapped these but it gives you a good idea.

Here's my post on ls1.com a while back about my install:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=237316
Old 05-08-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

well my car is 1" low now and squats very low on launches.. ill have to talk with steve and see his perspective.. i will not grind anything off the rear thats for sure!
Old 05-08-2003, 09:22 PM
7 Second Club

Rodent I installed mine a year ago and dont remember grinding anything.I did have to take a BFH to the tunnel.It didnt show on the inside so it didnt matter to me.
Old 05-08-2003, 11:22 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just pulled my Spohn TA off as I'm doing some overhauling at the moment. It does align right down the center. As far as weight and the cross bar, there is now a new design where the cross bar is significantly smaller and you can get it in chromoly!
Old 05-09-2003, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Rodent I installed mine a year ago and dont remember grinding anything.I did have to take a BFH to the tunnel.It didnt show on the inside so it didnt matter to me.
There was no way I was going to pound the tunnel for the Spohn TA. I just think Spohn didn't do their homework on this piece and it should be easier to install (no grinding, no hammers).