Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding Calipers 101

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Grinding Calipers 101

Are you thinking about running some Weld rims? BE PREPARED TO GRIND!!
You can run skinnies up front without having to grind anything as long as you run a big enough spacer. So, what size spacer is needed? People run different sizes so I wouldn't be able to say you HAVE to run (x) size. However, the common sizes are 5/16,7/16, 1/2" spacers. Personally, I run the 1/2" spacers. A lot of people run the Mr Gaskets spacer, which is ok and they're cheap. I went with a more durable spacers that fits great.
Edit: A lot of people have asked where I get these spacers from. Here's a link: http://www.racecareng.com/RCE1/item_...rt_no=ALL44121 *Part Number: ALL44121*
Not the best picture since I have paint all over the rotor (I'll take a better picture later when I get my car back.)

Now for the fun part, the rear calipers.

1) Make sure that you wear SAFETY GOGGLES. Sunglasses will NOT work. I had about 20 slivers of metal stuck to my contacts when I got done and I was wearing a set of sunglasses that I figured would be adequate.
2) Get a GOOD grinder. If you don't own one, then borrow one from a friend. I started with a cheap grinder and it took TWICE as long. Trust me, this is a very important step.
3) Set aside the appropriate amount of time to do the job correctly. Don't think you're going to whip it out in an hour and be ready to hit the strip.
4) Become familiar with the phrase, "KEEP GRINDING". When you think that you're done.....KEEP GRINDING! Put the rim on, check for clearance, take the rim off....... starts to become old fairly quickly.
5) Before you think you're done make sure to tighten the rim on and see if it will spin. I put the rim on, pushed hard, spun the rim and thought I was all set. Tightened the lug nuts on, tried to spin....no dice. Wouldn't even budge. Also, make sure that both wheels are off the ground when trying to spin the rim. My jack slowly creeped down on me once putting the other tire on the ground...couldn't figure out why the clearance got worse and I could no longer spin the rim.
6) Make sure that you have some way to mark the calipers for rubbing. In my case it was easy because I have painted calipers. Grind, paint, check to see where it's rubbing. If you're not going to paint your calipers (which would be odd since you just were grinding on them) you can use masking tape to mark the calipers.

Here's how they start: (Notice how deep the grooves are...I told you there was going to be a lot of grinding)

You're not even close yet....refer back to step 4.

Notice the little bit of red where the deep groove use to be? You guessed it, still not there yet, KEEP GRINDING!!

Don't worry, you'll eventually get there

A couple more pictures for you:

This is just a picture of the amount of metal shavings from one caliper that I was easily able to sweep up.

I know that I was looking for something like this when I was getting ready to grind my calipers. I hope that it helps. If anyone has anything to add, please feel free to do so and post any pictures that you have.

Last edited by 01_ram-air; 06-22-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Also, I would recommend that you switch to a longer wheel stud:
I went with ARP

More then likely, you're going to have to remove the bump stops also.

All of the grinding and banging in the above picture was unnecessary with a 275/50/15 tire on a 10" rim
Old 07-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad I have Convo Pros.

I had prostars on my '00 and hated grinding them. I actually had a caliper break in two places which caused me to crash the car and total it. It was due to all of the drag racing I did and lack of metal. I would go to drag brakes before I would have to grind again.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt D
I actually had a caliper break in two places which caused me to crash the car and total it. It was due to all of the drag racing I did and lack of metal.
Damn! Well, how much did You grind them?
I just had to take of maybe 1/5 inch. Doesn't seem like it would break. It's not that thin!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by CRZYPWR
Damn! Well, how much did You grind them?
I just had to take of maybe 1/5 inch. Doesn't seem like it would break. It's not that thin!
I took off less than 01_Ram-Air did.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its fine for track cars and cars that never see anything but nice summer days but on a True daily driver (rain, sleet, snow hail, everything) no way I'd be on calipers grinded like that. With less material the calipers will heat up more... then splash some water on them from a puddle which cools the calipers down violently quick and stresses the material. After that happens enough I can easily see something going wrong.

I'l be getting convo pros or Bogarts for the rear of my car when I go 15's. I want little to no grinding because I car still sees the elements.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Banned

01_ramair:

That was an excellent write up! I'm sure a lot of guys will appreciate it. I ran ground calipers for a long time with no issues.

I think this topic deserves a sticky! With a WARNING maybe??
Old 07-08-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Buy the right offset wheels. Don't blame the wheels.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by STOCK1090

Doesn't have anything to do with offset.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jantzer98SS
01_ramair:

That was an excellent write up! I'm sure a lot of guys will appreciate it. I ran ground calipers for a long time with no issues.

I think this topic deserves a sticky! With a WARNING maybe??
Thanks!

If it helps at least one person then it was worth the time I spent taking pictures and writing it all up.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by STOCK1090
As was previously stated, it has nothing to do with offset. These cars come stock with 17" rims. The brakes are big but had plenty of clearance on a 17" rim. You can put a 16" rim on also with no issues. However, the 15" rim is too small to clearance the brakes.

You did bring up a good point that I left out and that was backspacing...

15x8 rim you want to run a 5.5" backspacing
15x10 rim you want to run a 7.5" backspacing

15x3.5 rim you want to run a 1.75" backspacing

If you get a narrowed rearend then you have different options for backspacing.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Yeah mine have been ground like that since 2000/2001.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished grinding my calipers about a month ago. What a PITA. Test fitting the rims so many times was the worst part of the whole thing. Put them on..takem off over and over. Thank God that day is over.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With the amount of work that takes and with the decreased strenth of the caliper.... I seriously question at what point is it just sparter to buy drag brakes, or get bogarts so the grinding isn't nessassary

(I personally went the route of buying bogarts, but will also be doing drag brakes over the winter)
Old 07-13-2007, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
With the amount of work that takes and with the decreased strenth of the caliper.... I seriously question at what point is it just sparter to buy drag brakes, or get bogarts so the grinding isn't nessassary

(I personally went the route of buying bogarts, but will also be doing drag brakes over the winter)
For most of us it just comes down to money. Grinding calipers is way cheaper then buying new brakes.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
For most of us it just comes down to money. Grinding calipers is way cheaper then buying new brakes.

I personally know of 3 F-Bodies with the calipers ground and NONE of them has ever experienced any problems what so ever.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air

I sorta understand... I mean the rear drag brakes are not cheap at about 500 for strange ones, and neither are the bogarts at whatever they are going or a pair these days.... but after seeign a caliper or 2 crack, it just worries me, and with the amount of work it took to get them ground down enough, at some point I ask if all the labor is worth the $ saved.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I sorta understand... I mean the rear drag brakes are not cheap at about 500 for strange ones, and neither are the bogarts at whatever they are going or a pair these days.... but after seeign a caliper or 2 crack, it just worries me, and with the amount of work it took to get them ground down enough, at some point I ask if all the labor is worth the $ saved.
My labor is cheap....it's free.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:01 AM
Race your car!

So is mine, if I were gonna go that route I'd do it myself, I even have the needed grinder..... But, time is $ LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Slopo99 (12-31-2023)
Old 07-14-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just grinded my front calipers after getting new brake pads. It was pretty easy just time consuming.

Quick Reply: Grinding Calipers 101