Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a lil weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Default a lil weight reduction

Hey guys I have the bumper cover off of my Z. I was thinking of doing a file 13 on the absorber and a serious swiss cheese job on the actual bumper support(just so I can keep my fogs). Have any of you guys had any trouble with the bumper keeping it's form after removing the black plastic absorber?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all of the foam and steel removed from both my front and rear bumpers. They still have their original form and do not sag. You should just take them out and leave them out instead of swiss cheesing them.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just gonna swiss cheese the metal support because I wanted to keep my fog lights, they bolt to the support so I gotta have it.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

hey matt d how much does your car weigh? I'm looking to getting into the stock internal game a little bit..
Old 08-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

What I did to keep my fog lights when I removed the bumper support and the foam was I cut the support, leaving 2 small brackets that are attached to the car in the stock bumper support holes, and I left just enough metal to hold the foglights in place. I don't have a lic, but look @ where the support bolts to the frame, just leave the 2 bottom bolts, and leave a little strip (leave some of the bend in place for rigidity) to run to where the foglights mount......

It pulled about 25 lbs off the nost of my transam that way. I know alot of people remove the whole support and the foglights, but I hate the way it looks with a couple gaping holes in the cover, having an intercooler behind there is cool, but just empty holes looks hack IMO.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I removed the rear bumper and support on my Formula this week and made some real simple brackets out of aluminum. I'll be doing the same with the front. I think the bumper is sturdier now than it was before I remove the bumper.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
What I did to keep my fog lights when I removed the bumper support and the foam was I cut the support, leaving 2 small brackets that are attached to the car in the stock bumper support holes, and I left just enough metal to hold the foglights in place. I don't have a lic, but look @ where the support bolts to the frame, just leave the 2 bottom bolts, and leave a little strip (leave some of the bend in place for rigidity) to run to where the foglights mount......

It pulled about 25 lbs off the nost of my transam that way. I know alot of people remove the whole support and the foglights, but I hate the way it looks with a couple gaping holes in the cover, having an intercooler behind there is cool, but just empty holes looks hack IMO.
Word, plus I really like my fogs, without em you can hardly see.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnet
hey matt d how much does your car weigh? I'm looking to getting into the stock internal game a little bit..
It weighs 3050 right now on the drag radials. I am throwing a 26x8.5 ET Drag on them next week and still have to pull the HVAC, ABS, airbags, and replace the seats, brakes, k-member, a-arms, and rear end with lightweight stuff.

Quick Reply: a lil weight reduction