Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire rubbing probs w/ 12 bolt & relocation bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire rubbing probs w/ 12 bolt & relocation bracket

My buddy who has a 9" rear and myself who has a 12 bolt rear are both having rear tire rubbing issues with our LCA relocation brackets.

His relocation brackets moved his 9" a lot farther forward than my 12 bolt moved forward when I added the relocation brackets.

My car rubs when I make a hard turn, his upon hard acceleration.

I'm not sure if my 315's in back are causing this problem, but its pretty annoying.

Any way to cure this w/o tubbing the car?
Old 05-16-2003, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tire rubbing probs w/ 12 bolt & relocation bracket

Where is it rubbing? If they moved your 12 bolt further forward then adjustable LCAs would cure that.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Ditto... An adjustable LCA would let you re-center the tire into the wheel opening.

I wouldn't think it would be a problem though, since the holes in the relocation brackets should be drilled slightly offset to prevent this from happening...
Old 05-17-2003, 02:38 AM
TECH Junkie

There were 2 holes in the relocation brackets...one for a more aggressive angle...which of course is the one I took, which makes the LCAs point more downward than the less aggressive hold. Maybe it'd be best if they pointed more parallel to the ground. I'll have to switch holes and see.

I think I'll try that before I get adjustable LCA's.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:39 AM
TECH Junkie

not sure where on the rear where its rubbing. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. It feels like its hitting the wheel well somewhere.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my guess would be that the brackets were not in the correct position when they were welded on. they should not change the position of the rearend any at all. were they home made brackets?

the spohn and bmr brackets as George mentioned, have the holes drilled in the correct arc so that the LCA will bolt up without changing the rearend position
Old 05-17-2003, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yank a wheel and get under there and take a look. If its in the wheel well....smack dat sumbitch with a 15# sledge for added clearance.

If that doesnt work, then try the other LCA mounting hole.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

my guess would be that the brackets were not in the correct position when they were welded on. they should not change the position of the rearend any at all. were they home made brackets?

the spohn and bmr brackets as George mentioned, have the holes drilled in the correct arc so that the LCA will bolt up without changing the rearend position
I got the Spohn 12 bolt specific LCA relocation brackets. Maybe they weren't welded on properly ???

They had to move my rear end forward an inch or so to get it to fit. I questioned it too, but they said the last 9" they did had to go forward even more
Old 05-17-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the moser specific LCA relocation brackets on from Spohn. I put the rear end up in the car, bolted the LCA's into the stock location to make sure that was right. Then I pulled loose the LCA's and put the Bolt that spohn provided to bolt the LCA relocation bracket to the mounting spot on the axle. Then I bolted in the LCA to the bottom hole on the LCA relocation bracket. We welded it up in that exact positition and I have no rubbing issues whatsoever with my car.

I've run 315/35's on 17x11 ZR1's and 26x8 ET Drags on draglites on the car both at stock ride height and lowered 1.25" with Hotchkis lowering springs, no problems ever.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

hmf...something must not have been done right. I tightened up the rear sway bar a bit and that helped, but on really tight turns I still rub.