Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide on which shocks to get

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide on which shocks to get

Ok, I'm looking tog et some new shocks as I'm over 40,000 miles now and I feel everything is starting to get a bit soft. I'm already planning on replacing the front and rear swaybar endlinks and bushings with poly bushings, I already have lca's, phr, and torque arm. The car will not be lowered as I have SLP LT's. The car is my Daily driver, the only racing it sees is in a straight line, but I definately am not drag race only. Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated
Old 06-05-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Help me decide on which shocks to get

TTT, at this point I am considering HAL QA1 12-way adjustables all the way around, anyone have any comments?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

QA1's are the best. Use your stock spring on the rear, and Hal Springs up front. These shocks rock, and are worth the money if your serious about drag racing. It fascinates me how so many people by all top notch parts for thier motors and tranny's and totally neglect one of the key components for traction (besides tires) SHOCKS AND SPRINGS!!!!

Get the QA1's. I got mine with springs and spanner wrench from Raging Motorsports. He had the best price of any of the sponsors.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

What is the difference between the HAL springs and the stock ones, I was just considering modifying mine to work with the hal's.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the front its spring rate. But I'm only repeating what I was told. If you buy the shocks, why not spend the extra coin on the springs. Its a matched set.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for the rears i would get the Strange 10 way shocks. just as good as the QA1s im my opinion, and way cheaper ($60 each, compared to ~$150 each for the QA1s). both adjust with an external ****, both cover all the adjustment range that you would want to use, both are rebuildable, and although the Strange has a steel body instead of aluminum like the QA1s, they felt to be the same weight, or possibly that the Strange shock was even a little lighter.

i would recommend AFCOs for the front, but they are very expensive compared to the QA1s. the Afcos allow you to take a the nose dive out of the braking at the track, and keep the front end from bouncing so much after launching.

fwiw i have the Afco/Strange combo on my car, with the QA1 springs up front and stock springs in the rear, cut one coil. last year i had QA1s front and rear.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

With the savings on the Strange rear shocks I might consider the Afco front shocks, I saw somewhere that welding was required for them, any clue what sort of welding we are talking about here?
Old 06-07-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh, forgot to ask, what is the part # for the strange shock
Old 06-07-2003, 06:21 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Afco's front and rear. No welding required, but you will have to drill out the bushings to fit. You will also have to drill through the wheel well into the engine bay so you can make the shock adjustments up front. Very easy to do. The shocks ride great on the street. I use the QA1 springs up front and stock in the rear.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

any chance I could get some pictures of these babies installed?
Old 06-07-2003, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would get the HAL's, they are the best, I had bilsteins on my car before with eibachs and they didn't do well at all for the track, they were good on the street, but that was about it, good for handling...

The hals are good for drag racing and good for handling and every day driving...

I would get them...
Old 06-07-2003, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the Afco setup Madman sells requires welding because he gives you a common coil over top mount to use so that you can choose from the wide range of coil over springs that are available to use from various companies. i got my Afcos from Billingsley and used the stock upper mount, which as was said just requires some drilling, not a big deal. i am using the QA1 springs with them. check out http://www.billingsleyracing.biz/index.htm. he sells the Strange rears for $60 each, and has good prices on the QA1s and Afcos
Old 06-07-2003, 11:01 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry about the blurry one, but that gives you a rough idea as to what the upper shock mount looks like.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

also whether you get QA1s or Afcos, do yourself a favor and get a set of bearing plates for them. they go between the spring and the shock nut and makes adjusting the spring height quite a bit easier
Old 06-08-2003, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

also whether you get QA1s or Afcos, do yourself a favor and get a set of bearing plates for them. they go between the spring and the shock nut and makes adjusting the spring height quite a bit easier
bearing plate? Never heard of this before, I'm kinda guessing what it is, but where can they be purchased?
Old 06-08-2003, 03:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, and thanks a lot for all the imforation you guys have been a great help, I'm going to call Billingsley Monday morning and talk w/ him and find out the details a little bit. I'm definately considering the Afco front/Strange Rear combo. My only last consideration is the front spring, stick w/ stock or go for the QA1 spring or the such.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

the "bearing plate" chevyguy3 is referring to is a torrington bearing, do you know what that is?

if not, do a search on google for torrington bearing. Its like a very thin roller bearing that sits between to help with friction
Old 06-08-2003, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just ask Billingsley about the bearings when you talk to him, he can get them for you. its not listed on his or any of the other sponsors' sites but Afco sells a set that will fit their shocks, and i know QA1 carries a set also. it was $24 for a pair of them and the shims when i got them
Old 06-09-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the help... Just left a message for Bilinglsey to call me back so I can order them. Ordering the Afco front double adjustables, Bearing plates to go w/ them, QA1 Hal springs, and the Strange rear shocks.