Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about insurance (for a race car)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about insurance (for a race car)

I know it isn't techincal, BUT, how many here insure their vehicle as a race car, and how many just take a chance running down the 1320 insured as a normal car?? I have had some run in's with my truck as far as accidents go and I am worried that if I screw up at the track with the SS and something bad happens to the car, the insurance co will be super pissed and drop my coverage (I have USAA, the BESt insurance IMO) and not pay for ****!

Thanks a lot

Erik
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No insurance will do anything while the car is actually going down the track (unless you lie to them and move the car somewhere else). Race car insurance will cover the car in the pits, staging and return road though, at least mine does anyway. If you tell your regular insurance that car is at a dragstrip, has a roll bar or is being raceing most likely they will drop you.

Its a touchy situation, race car coverage will not let you register the car for street use, regular car insurance wants nothing to do with dragstrips. Lot of collector and specialty companies will insure a 'pro street' full tube chassied car for street use but will not cover the car if it is actually raced.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

very good info thanks...
Yeah I am just not sure....I am worried about losing control and slamming into a wall or some dumb **** like that and just wasting the car.
I mean I have gone down the track countless times with no problem so I am not THAT worried about it, I am just asking that's all. Nothing will keep me from racing that's for sure!

Erik
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Like I said NO insurance will cover your car if you smash it making a pass. I'm sure you could have Lloyd's or something to underwrite it but the yearly premium would most likely be more than the car is worth.

Its a big risk every time you point that car down a dragstrip, lot of medical policies are excluding motorsports so crashing your 50K race car is nothing comapred to 200K in medical bills if your health insurance doesnt cover you at the track. Not to mention there is always the guy next to you that can ruin your whole day, thats why the NHRA rules and other safety junk are kinda nice..

If you look at the big picture drag racing is a pretty silly endeavor overall but that doesnt stop thousands of people from doing it every week - including myself
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My previous insurance company, I asked them if my car was covered while it was on the trailer. they asked why was it on the trailer. I told them I raced it and they said now that you told me that I can't insure that car at all. I told them I don't car if its not insured at the track and they said well how do we know you won't move the car if you wreck it? Then he said also now we can't provide you with life insurance either.
I changed to a new company after that and kept my mouth shut. Now the car should be covered while its not racing or if it gets stolen, I hope at least.

I would suggest to never tell them if you don't won't them to drop you.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 PM
7 Second Club

KP nailed every aspect of the insurance and racing deal.I have insurance on my race car that covers everything except street driving and racing.I have no coverage from the time I pull in the water box till I get to the return road.

If I get hit by an golfcart or quad in the pits I'm covered but I'm on my own going down the track.Insurance is available for when you're making a pass but it is really expensive,like $5,000 a day expensive.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

A few topics on this if you search and a few people posted some links to the companies.

There IS one company that insures you going down the track however their site is kinda iffy and I am sure they charge you an arm and a leg.

Most companies only insure you for when the ignition is off, some insure you on the return road.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

good to know, I will read up on the subject some more!

THANKS!
Erik