Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end travel, ride height, pinion angle, shock settings, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front end travel, ride height, pinion angle, shock settings, etc.

Does lowering the front end of the car with coil overs (QA1 Hal R series fronts) transfer less or more weight?

Moving the spanner nut down, which decompresses the springs, does that lower or raise the car?

My lower control arms have rod ends on both ends and my panhard bar has rod and poly. What should I run the pinion angle at? -X?

If my driveshaft is bolted in, could I use the bottom flat surface on the torque arm mount to take the measurement? I would think so if it's perpendicular.

If I have a 26" tall front tire and a 30" tall rear tire, then how do I properly set the ride height since the rear tire is going to fill in the fender well more and make it higher in the rear?

How do I properly measure and adjust front end travel? At what points do you take your measurements?

Good starting point for QA1 R series fronts and Strange double adjustable rears?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moving the spanne nut down lowers the car (unloads the spring).

-3* is a good starting point on the pinion angle.

Use the flat surface of the rearend/TA to measure the pinion angle

Measure from the ground up to the lip of the fender with the car sitting on a flat surface then raise the car from the K-Member until the lower control arms extend to their fullest distance. That's usually either when the travel limiters are tight or the wheels are just off the ground. Measure at the same distance again and the difference is the front end travel.

LOL. I hope I worded that right.

That's a lot of questions for one thread,but still good questions that might help someone else.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

I also forgot to ask, more pinion angle (lower the pinion), does that hit the tires harder or softer? I thought one of the things that determined pinion angle was what type of bushings you have. With solid/rod ends, you want less pinion angle because it will flex less.

Yes, that's how I did it, but it was different when I did it the 2nd time around and I'm guessing that's because the suspension isn't settled anymore.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
I also forgot to ask, more pinion angle (lower the pinion), does that hit the tires harder or softer? I thought one of the things that determined pinion angle was what type of bushings you have. With solid/rod ends, you want less pinion angle because it will flex less.

Yes, that's how I did it, but it was different when I did it the 2nd time around and I'm guessing that's because the suspension isn't settled anymore.
More pinion angle hits softer, to compare a poly/poly LCA would run like -3 compared to a rod/rod LCA would run like -1.5.

Too much pinion angle really stresses the u-joints. In our cars I would never run over -3

What's the main issue, wheel standing?

Like I said before if it is hooking hard leave it alone and limit the front end and then stiffen the front shock until you get it to leave how you like.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=Dragaholic;8251382]Does lowering the front end of the car with coil overs (QA1 Hal R series fronts) transfer less or more weight?

I would think starting with the car lower in the front would give more suspension travel to transfer weight.

But if you have travel limiters the lower front end will have a lower center of gravity which should transfer weight less.

Moving the spanner nut down, which decompresses the springs, does that lower or raise the car?

Will lower the car.

My lower control arms have rod ends on both ends and my panhard bar has rod and poly. What should I run the pinion angle at? I would start at -2.

If my driveshaft is bolted in, could I use the bottom flat surface on the torque arm mount to take the measurement? I would think so if it's perpendicular.

Either the yoke or flat spot on the rear end.

If I have a 26" tall front tire and a 30" tall rear tire, then how do I properly set the ride height since the rear tire is going to fill in the fender well more and make it higher in the rear?

Misread this question, I would measure the car under the body on the sides on the door and have the front , measured from behind the front tire 1" lower than the rear measured just in front of the rear tire on the body.

Obviously you'll have to lower it a bit to do this, or you could lower it less but personally I don't like the way it looks riding high in the back.

How do I properly measure and adjust front end travel? At what points do you take your measurements?

ground to center of fender , jack the car in the center until there is no more suspension travel and you can see the weight starting to come off the tire. That's when you have no more travel, the rest is just the tire itself uncompressing.

Good starting point for QA1 R series fronts and Strange double adjustable rears?

If the car wheel stands I would start with at least #6, If not number 2 or 3, in the rear #5/#5 to start
Old 12-06-2007, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club NA

Ok, I have a rod ends on both of my LCAs and running -3 degrees (down) on the rear end. I need to put it -1.5 to -2. But this is actually going to make it hit the tires harder?

Yes, main issue is wheel stands.

I believe my shocks (QA1 R series) technically have 15 settings, but aren't intended to go over 12. Would I be crazy to put them at 12 and work my way down?

So if lowering the spanner nut lowers the car and decompresses the spring, shouldn't that mean it will help with weight transfer because the it will have less momentum? I say this because the spring isn't compressed as much thus storing more energy, then if it's a little lower and the travel is limited, then there should be less energy to transfer.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Ok, I have a rod ends on both of my LCAs and running -3 degrees (down) on the rear end. I need to put it -1.5 to -2. But this is actually going to make it hit the tires harder?

Yes, main issue is wheel stands.

I believe my shocks (QA1 R series) technically have 15 settings, but aren't intended to go over 12. Would I be crazy to put them at 12 and work my way down?

So if lowering the spanner nut lowers the car and decompresses the spring, shouldn't that mean it will help with weight transfer because the it will have less momentum? I say this because the spring isn't compressed as much thus storing more energy, then if it's a little lower and the travel is limited, then there should be less energy to transfer.
I'd do -2 to start. 1 degree isn't going to make a HUGE difference but it could be noticeable.

It wouldn't be crazy to set the fronts at 12, worst case it will spin the tire.

I'd set the front travel at 2.5-3" to start.

I don't think lowering the spring will technically decompress it, you're simple lowering the base of the spring, if you raise the base it isn't compressing the spring more it will raise the car. The amount of weight on the spring should be the very close to the same, yes you can lower the hight of the spring and raise it, but weight on the car is the main factor in the amount the spring is compressed.

Technically I would think the lower the car gets in the front the more the spring will compress because the weight of the car will be shifted forward.

But lowering the front down some will lower the center of gravity and having the travel limiters set to 2-3" it should in theory wheelie less.

I would leave all of the chassis settings as is and start by tuning the front with the limiters and shocks, then after you see the effects you can try playing with the pinion angle a little. I'd run whatever pinion angle is between -1 to -3 and use which one produces the fastest 60 ft.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

This is why you should be nice to Madman, Jerami, he'd have you squared away in all of fifteen minutes.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
This is why you should be nice to Madman, Jerami, he'd have you squared away in all of fifteen minutes.
Thats exactly what i was thinking!lol
Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club NA

When was I ever not nice? I sent him a PM, but he hasn't been on since yesterday afternoon. So he hasn't seen this thread or read my PM.

According from the measurements I took yesterday, I saw only 2" of travel. I wouldn't want to increase that if I was already wheeling.

My pinion angle (rear end only) was at -3 degrees.

I rechecked the front shock settings and they were at 4, so I should probably tighten up on them. I didn't recheck the rears.

I suppose I could run less air pressure to get more flex in the tire so that it won't react as fast.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

I checked the rears (Strange double adjustable). Both the compression and extension were set on 6. Not sure how many total clicks there are, I didn't want to try it and ruin the shock.

The limiters are where they need to be. 2" of travel. I just want to know if I should lower the car to help with the wheelies. The pinion angle is around -2 to 2.5 degrees (shitty angle finder).

I went ahead and put the front shocks at 8 just to be safe.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone know how many clicks/setting the Strange double adjustable shocks have?

Does lowering the car help or hurt the car? Will it reduce or increase wheel stands?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

lowering the entire car will lower the center of gravity and should decrease the liklyhood of a wheelstand, but you have to lower the entire car, not just the front or back. And I'm sure you're in the same boat as most, if you lower the back you will hvae to cut and reweld in a portion of the rear flooring to clear the rear, redo all the rear suspenion geometry, etc.etc.

With a 2 step and travel limiters you should be able to keep the nose down, it's not like you have 2000 hp in the car.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Does anyone know the ratio on the QA1 R series coil overs for ride height? In other words, you move the spanner nut X amount, then it will lower the front end X amount.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would turning your adjuster ***** one way and then the other to check the number of clicks hurt them? I don't see how that makes any sense at all. They are made to go all the way both ways.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

I could be wrong with what I said about center of gravity hight changing with lowering, but I have a feeling this scientific formula and calculator will prove other wise.

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22
Old 12-07-2007, 02:53 PM
9 Second Club NA

I've been out of it for so long, I have forgotten a lot of things. I could of swore I read that it has X amount of clicks, but not to turn it past x amount of clicks. It may be for the QA1 shocks. I just wanted to make sure.

I called Strange and they said 9 clicks on the Strange rear double adjustables.

What I really want to know is on the front QA1 coil overs, if I lower it X amount, how much is it actually going to lower the car? Is it a 1 to 1 ratio? For instance, if I lower the nut 1", is it going to lower the car 1"?
Old 12-07-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

I recently raised my car some in the front on the coil over 1/2-5/8" and it came out closer to 1" at the fender.

Then I also took weight off the car about 140 pounds and now the front is even higher so I have to lower it again

I would go out and lower the car and measure it but my spanner wrench is at my buddy's house and he works shifts.

I won't be able to get it till Monday but if you want I'll measure how much lowering it 1/2", 3/4 and 1" at the coil over lowers it and take a measurement at each one if you can wait till then.

My car looks around the same hight in the front as yours I think, I want to lower mine more but I may just run a taller tire then lower it a bit so I don't lose so much ground clearance, gotta be easy on the headers

BTW my front tire is very close to 24 3/4" tall.
Attached Thumbnails Front end travel, ride height, pinion angle, shock settings, etc.-0187186-r1-e023-s.jpg  
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

QA1 = right tighty, 12 settings.

Get the car down, and pretty even. Madman also has some specific points about torque arms and lower control arm settings, but you'll have to ask him I forget them already DOH.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
QA1 = right tighty, 12 settings.

Get the car down, and pretty even. Madman also has some specific points about torque arms and lower control arm settings, but you'll have to ask him I forget them already DOH.
Does he have any posts with these settings or is it an ask as needed basis?

Quick Reply: Front end travel, ride height, pinion angle, shock settings, etc.