Sponsored by:

Laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Laptops?

alright guys,

Things are finally getting serious with my car as far as racing goes next summer.

I'm thinking about getting a laptop to monitor everything and record with HPTuners.

Also, NOS has a new controller out there that can be adjusted on the fly with a laptop.

I was thinking a small one, since its only going to be running 2 programs...long battery life would be nice, but chances are I'll have to get a 12VDC to 110VAC convertor.

Plus I don't want to drop hardly any cash into this...any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM
12 Second Club

Ebay a cheapo computer. Or you can just buy a nice new one and enjoy it as your everyday computer..
Old 12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

first thing to consider if you haven't already bought your HPT, the NHRA put in rules about 2 years ago to disallow open laptops in the car during a pass. so look for a laptop that can operate closed or can still data log by editing the sleep mode options.
also there is always the option of getting the stand alone data logger that HPT sells. it collects all the same data as you could get with the laptop, just in a tape recorder sized box that you can DL to your laptop in a few seconds after the run.
as far as powering it, go to your local radio shack. they sell AC/DC invertor/adaptors that are very compact and have universal connsctions for jsut about any laptop on the market with interchangable connectors.they are called Juice by iGo and include conectors for home, auto, and even airline power sources.
you don't need a fancy laptop. more RAM does mean better data logging usually, so keep that in mind

good luck
Old 12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

I'll have to do some searchin on ebay
Old 12-09-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The rule they get us for is NO DATA LOGGING during competion. As long as the LT is secured we are good. Just do not get caught with it running and logging durring eliminations

I went to small plug in "Launch" Crecorders

Originally Posted by NJSPDER
first thing to consider if you haven't already bought your HPT, the NHRA put in rules about 2 years ago to disallow open laptops in the car during a pass. so look for a laptop that can operate closed or can still data log by editing the sleep mode options.
also there is always the option of getting the stand alone data logger that HPT sells. it collects all the same data as you could get with the laptop, just in a tape recorder sized box that you can DL to your laptop in a few seconds after the run.
as far as powering it, go to your local radio shack. they sell AC/DC invertor/adaptors that are very compact and have universal connsctions for jsut about any laptop on the market with interchangable connectors.they are called Juice by iGo and include conectors for home, auto, and even airline power sources.
you don't need a fancy laptop. more RAM does mean better data logging usually, so keep that in mind

good luck