Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX specific or custom fabricated valley baffle? Vacuum pump & oil don't mix.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LSX specific or custom fabricated valley baffle? Vacuum pump & oil don't mix.

I attemped to make 2 passes last night and after the FIRST run, I started it up to make the 2nd pass and I heard a ticking noise. I thought it was coming from the motor. I turned it off, then back on, and listened closer. It was the pump. I took the belt off and sure enough the noise went away.

When I got home from the track, I spun the pulley on the pump and it spinned freely, not making the clicking noise it did when it was new. So I put the belt back on and revved it to 3500 rpms where I had set it at 4". It was not making any vacuum.

Well, I called Star and he explained to me that I had pulled too much oil in the pump. I built a baffle under the hole for the intake of the vacuum. It's obviously not good enough.

So I was wondering if anyone made a LSX (LS1 style) valley baffle and if not, let's see some pics of your custom fabricated one. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats why in the other thread I said to use a catch can between the valley cover and the pump.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:49 PM
9 Second Club NA

Do you mean oil/air separator?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, he does.

The Oil/Air Seperator is that piece I told you to buy but you said you didn't need.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club NA

The local speed shop has it in stock, gonna stop by there tomorrow and pick it up. Damn, that means I'm going to need 2 more fittings. Those bad boys are expensive. Man...this race car is a money pit.

By the way, I wasn't asking, I was correcting him. There's a difference between a catch can (overflow/puke tank) and oil/separator tank.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Why did you not hook the vacum pump to the valve covers like most people do?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club NA

I didn't want to drill the valve covers. I would have to drill a pretty big hole in the valve covers to weld on a -12AN fitting.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club NA

So does it matter how good of a baffle is installed/fabricated, does it still need an oil/air separator?
Old 12-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Race your car!

why not run 2 -8's off the valve covers and Y it into a -12... I'm sure that would be plenty
Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I saw one at PRI. It was one of the guys from hardcore thats starting his own work.
Looked like a nice piece, had a inernal baffle down the middle form the front to the rear. I donno if it clears the gen4 block.
sorry that Ill the into I have.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:26 PM
9 Second Club NA

Is there something wrong with pulling (1) -12AN from the valley cover? Is it doing the same job and as efficient?
Old 12-13-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Is there something wrong with pulling (1) -12AN from the valley cover? Is it doing the same job and as efficient?
Problem with where you have it now is that the cam and lifters are throwing oil right at your fitting. If you had it welded on to the valve cover (not the top of the valve cover obviously) there isn't a lot of oil being throw towards your fitting.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:31 PM
9 Second Club NA

The hole/fitting is not completely exposed though, it's covered with a box (homemade baffle). Basically it's just a box with holes drilled on the side of it. I figured for sure it wouldn't be a problem, it obviously is. I figured it would be easier and cheaper to just modified the baffle I have in there now or make a new one as opposed to buying more fittings, welding up the hole on the valley, drilling the valve covers, welding on the fittings, etc.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:55 PM
9 Second Club

I tried what your describing on my valley also and all your doing is band-aiding a location problem. I had a air/oil separator and sure it'll catch the oil, but your gonna have to drain the cannister after EVERY pass. Just trying to save you some wasted track time...... get it plumbed to the front of the covers and go racing.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

Phill99vette, I was looking at some pics that you posted back when we were discussing vacuum pumps and I noticed that you have the setup I do. You're pulling the vacuum off the valley cover. I didn't see a oil/air separator in between. Have you ran the car yet? I ask because all it took was 1 run for the pump to stop working because it sucked up so much oil.

Do you have a baffle under the valley? If so, was it a pre-fabricated piece or was it something you made yourself? Pics?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Race your car!

put it on the damn valve covers like you're supposed to, and stop having problems. Or, keep doing what you're doing if it makes you happy. I dunno why you put it on the valley cover in the first place, who told you that was a good idea?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

No one told me to put it on there. It was easier to plumb and I figured the vacuum pulled would be more balanced. In order to reverse what I've done and do it the way you're say is to take the intake back off, remove the valley cover, cut off the fitting, weld up the hole, drill the valve cover, weld on the bung, etc. I'm not saying I won't do it, but I just figured since I went through the trouble of doing it the way I have it now, to just modify the baffle or make a new one.

Oil is still going to be pulled with it at the valve cover because oil is being slung around there too.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:57 PM
Race your car!

What I would do, is get another valley cover plate and just change it, it would save you a ton of work that way, put a stock one on there, start with that. Then, if you are running shet metal valve covers which I assume you are, put -10 bung on both covers, run both together to a T fitting and run a big -12 line to your pump. Inside the valve cover where the bung is, try to make a small shield of some sort to help prevent some of the oil from splashing up to the fittings. I would put an oil seperator on the -12 line still that goes to the pump, or put 2 small ones in the -10 lines that run together, that way you can see if there's oil only coming from one side, etc.etc. and make a change as needed.

I have seen a few cars that have connected the 2 valve covers together with a good sized line (-10 maybe a -12) and run the hookup for the vacum pump right off the oil fill cap, that way the vacum is being pulled equeally thru the top of the motor and with the vacum inlet at the oil fill cap, it's high enough so there's not too much splashing up there.

I understand why you ran the single line off the valley cover, it's easy to do that way.... but when building a serious race setup, which IMO anything that has a vacum pump on it is, a corner cut/easy route usually ends up causing trouble, as you've already found out.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand your logic with coming out of the valley cover. I gave that a thought when I was putting mine together. I ended up coming out of the pass. side valve cover ($500! valve covers) with a -12 directly into an Aerospace pump. It stilll sucks some oil "sludge" and moisture from condensation into the catch can. I smoked my Aerospace pump after only about 25-30 passes. I could never get the motor to seal good enough to get a vac. reading, even with playing with the Morrison adjust reg. on the dyno. I'm not even going to run a vac pump this season.

We only spin her to 8,500 anyway!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

If you don't wanna drill/weld on the valve covers, get this filler cap from GZ Motorsports - mine works great. Put the vacuum breaker in the back of the opposite valve cover since the pic though... now I get just enough oil to lube the pump, but not too much...
Attached Thumbnails LSX specific or custom fabricated valley baffle? Vacuum pump & oil don't mix.-vacuum-pump-small.jpg  

Quick Reply: LSX specific or custom fabricated valley baffle? Vacuum pump & oil don't mix.