Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another T56 Down!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Another T56 Down!!!

Yup, 2nd round of EFI eliminations at the NMCA event this weekend. Pulled a .550 light, front end came up like it usually does then BANG!!!! The driveshaft is intact. The car rolls freely in any gear which eliminates the ring and pinion. I can fire the engine up and let the clutch out, absolutely no noise at all.

Anyway, I don't have the time to do the tear down till next weekend. My thoughts are that the input shaft or output shaft broke during the launch. The funny thing with this is that there is absolutely no noise at all!!! Puzzling.... Oh well.

I can tell you that the tracked hooked harder than NPR did for the Thunder Shootout! I've never seen anything like it, it was awesome!! BTW, the track was US 131 in Martin, MI just south of Grand Rapids. It might possibly be a candidate track to consider for the northern shootout if it hooks as consistent as it did Fri, Sat and Sun!!
Old 06-29-2003, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Another T56 Down!!!

Sorry to hear that....I've broken several input shafts (T45). Sometimes they make noise...sometimes they do nothing at all. I suspect output shafts are the same.

Of note, I recently read that G-Force is putting together an upgrade kit for the T56, similar to what they do with the T5 now (rated at 600 HP - yes....T5). Might want to give them a call. Their page is at www.g-forcetransmissions.com.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine did that with his T56 last night too. Broke the main / output shaft. Snapped it off about 6" in. Took out the tranny case too.

His yoke went out the side to the right, driveshaft spun in the loop a little, but the car was OK. Had to pull the shaft to get the car to roll tho.

Good luck...

-Andrew
Old 06-29-2003, 09:01 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The link to G-Force is a little off, it's http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/default.htm

I had originally thought about going clutchless once, but OEM transmission rules would prevent that at most of the races!
Old 06-29-2003, 09:49 PM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derty,

i am sorry to hear that
when i broke my output shaft that is exactly what happened. now is the time to go auto if you want to go fast...if so i know someone (possibly) selling everything you would need, i mean everything! th400, convertor, shifter, lines, cooler, dipstick, etc....

best of luck whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:18 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Derty,

got your PM, check your pm box