Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a quick question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a quick question.

Do you need a rollbar or cage to have 5 points? I ask, because I need both for the track, but I don't have the money for both yet. I'd rather do one at a time, and right now, I'd rather get the 5 points first. So, can you put 5 points in without a cage?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Got a quick question.

im lost here? roll bar or cage? Roll bar is just a single bar most verts need to run at the track if you are quicker than 12.99 or 13.99(cant remember which)

a roll cage is usually 6 point. You need a roll cage to run 11.99 and quicker at NHRA tracks.. 11.49 at IHRA tracks

but im confused as to what you mean? A roll bar is really just the top of a roll cage

maybe I missed something though?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

I was told by a buddy of mine that you need a roll bar OR cage to secure a set of five points to. My question is, can I put a set of five points (seat restraints) in my car without having a roll bar to connect them to. Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

all i know is that most cars just have a roll cage. That ties all the points in the car together Im not sure what he was talking about... but then again I dont have a cage yet.. HAHAHAH

but im pretty sure you just need a 6point cage or so. That will make the car plenty solid
Old 07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

What he's asking is how to mount a 5 pt racing harness. I don't have a cage or a roll bar yet, but I recommend going with a cage. If you have a hardtop, a rollbar by itself isn't going to help you much. You will need a cage down the line, and you probably won't be able to use the old roll bar as an integral part of it.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, you got what I was asking. Can I have a five point harness without a roll cage to hook them to. Ya know, could I just go tomorrow and put a 5 point harness in my car?
Old 07-02-2003, 08:29 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick,
You can mount a 5-point harness in your car without having a roll-bar to mount it to. Most mount them directly to the floor, and I've heard it's not good to do that b/c if you get in a wreck, it can have serious bad effects on your back. I'll say a roll bar is much better than a full cage with the halo and front drop bars (a big PITA getting in and out of) plus the bar is MUCH cheaper on both cost and install charges than a cage. Also, unless you tub the car or alter the firewall and/or floorpans in any way, roll bars are legal to 10 seconds flat in NHRA. So unless you plan on hitting 9s in the near future, use a bar.

Derek
Old 07-02-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Cool.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Yes, you got what I was asking. Can I have a five point harness without a roll cage to hook them to. Ya know, could I just go tomorrow and put a 5 point harness in my car?
no wonder i was so friggin confused... sorry bout that Nick I misread the post
Old 07-03-2003, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

That's alright man. **** happens. I probably could have worded it all differently.