Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling out ALL Bolt-on Stock Internal Cars

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling out ALL Bolt-on Stock Internal Cars

For those of you who like me have done most if not all the bolt-ons and for those of you just starting out, there is a class at the Thunder Racing Southern Shootout just for us this year. Go to www.thundershootout.com and click on "race info" and then select Street Stock Auto/Manual. This should be a really fun & competetive class for the budget racer. I was a spectator at this event last year and it was a blast, and there should be even more people this year. People are coming from all over the U.S. to run at this event. This will be the one and only true way to find out how all our cars with similar mods stack up against each other because we will all be running at the same DA (weather conditions & track)as well as the same raceweight(unlike the bolt on list where alot of people are below 3300lbs). All you have to do is get your car to hook up on Drag Radials. If Cam cars did it last year at this event I know a stock internal car should be able to. Plus this track (No Problem Raceway) hooks very well So for you people just starting out you have plenty of time (July-end of October) to get your cars setup for this event. Lets fill these Street Stock classes up this year. For more info on the event there is a link on this site uner "events" for the Southern Shootout. Hope to see you all there ready to race and party
Old 07-02-2003, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Calling out ALL Bolt-on Stock Internal Cars

damnit.. i need to go back to stock internals and nittos for this one HAHAHAH

wonder if those et street boys and girls can hook on real drag radials
Old 07-02-2003, 01:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car currently would work well in this class..
I'm sure getting a BFG DR setup together wouldn't be that hard.. but, would not want buy a set of tires for only one race.

Good chance I'll be there... but not running this class.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

John, what the heck you up to now..

you would do damn good in this class though
Old 07-02-2003, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm sure getting a BFG DR setup together wouldn't be that hard.. but, would not want buy a set of tires for only one race.
Please don't let this discourage you from running this class. I plan to buy a set of BFG's a few months before the event to make sure I can hook up, and if it all works out then I will just keep them and run them instead of the Hoosiers from now on. I got the impression that DR's are better at the top end any ways Maybe you can find someone to let you borrow a pair, or buy and then sell them once the event is over, people are always looking for a good set of used DR's
Think about it some more, i mean you are going to be there anyways right? maybe you can bring some money back home with you. Spectating was fun last year but I sure did feel left out.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Looks fun! Too bad it is F-body only.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
9 Second Club

If truly trying to be a "bolt-on" class, why in the world would you have a minimum weight, let alone a minimum weight of 3,400# !!! Heck, removing the spare/jack, putting headers & a light cat-back on, and a set of big & skinnies will get you down close to or below 3,400 in a hurry.

I say no minimum weight, just say no tin-can interiors. If not, you will get either a bunch of much slower cars or people will dangerously add "ballast" to the rear well area...tool boxes, weights from the home gym, etc.

Also, whatever weight you would call out, if you do, regardless of class, then 1) weigh during tech AND AFTER each run, and 2) make sure, for safety, the ballast method is legal. If not, it's just wasting people's time prepping their cars for any extra weight needed, and it also scares a lot of folks from running as they fall below a minimum weight. I know of a number of cars (including me) that did not prepare to run at the North vs. South shootout because of what some (not all) thought were unrealistic weight minimums and breaks for bigger inch cars. In the end, nobody got weighed at any point and the toolboxes, etc., came flying out of the hatch wells...luckily in the pits as people realized they were not going to be checked.

How many "bolt-on" cars that are deep in the 11's are truly 3,400#'s? I mean ones that have been weighed on a good certified scale and not just a guestimate. Just my thoughts for a more exciting class. Take care.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:49 PM
9 Second Club

Just checked the Stock Internals list, and if everyone's weights were "correct", there is only a handful of folks in the top 30 or so +/- to 3,400#'s. Not trying to upset the apple cart, just trying to help make the event down south a good one.

Just have peer tech for the bolt-on class and let folks go to town, especially if nobody is getting an engine tear down...it's the honor system 99% of the time anyways. Take care.
Old 07-02-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

RUQWIKR: ive alays been for the rule where if you have carpet and dash/radio in the car it was fine. I mean some guys are light already. But I can yank all the seats and everything outta mine and im still above the 3400pounds... DAMN TA's

the no bare metal rule works for me
Old 07-02-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not going to complain about the weight because I know if I can get my stripper Z to weigh 3400 lbs without ballast then no one else should have problems. Just keep your full interior and maybe leave your spare tire/jack in and put 1/2 tank of gas instead of 1/4. But you have to remember not all of us bought a light weight car to begin with. If they just made us follow the interior rules of carpet, two front seats and a dash then I think it would discourage a lot of people from wanting to run in the class because all those TA's and Heavy weight f-bodies out there wouldn't think they had a chance, and setting a weight minimum gives them that chance to be competetive. Plus I think it will be cool to see how all the cars stack up with similar mods in the same coniditions. After the event is over we can pull the weight back out at our local track and try for some records, I know I will be
Old 07-04-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool class but if you want it to be a real bolt on shootout then you need to lower the weight break to 3200# and allow ET streets/slicks. That is what all the quick bolt on cars are running. With your rules it will be a whos who of low 12 second bolt on cars, vs. the mid 11 second crowd you'd like to attract. Just IMHO.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Resident Grump

You people are assuming alot... Some of you must not have been at last years event. All cars are required to cross the scales after all qualifying runs and elimination runs. If your car does not meet the minimum weight in qualifying the run will not count. In eliminations you will be
DQ'ed and your opponent will be reinstated. For those of you that did not attend last years event every car after every pass of qualifying and eliminations was weighed. If your minimum weight is 3400lbs and you pull on the scales at 3399lbs you're disqualified.

As for engine teardowns... winners and runnerups at the descression of the tech staff will be checked so be prepared to remove a minimum of intake, valve cover, two rocker arms and all spark plugs. There will be no honor system and the minimum weight will not change.

And if some of you have a few tricks in mind we do mean stock internals. If oil touches it must be original equipment.

We will use bore scopes, P&G guages and other means to insure all pieces are stock.

We have the specs on all the oem cams L98, LT1 and LS1's so if you're thinking about sliding a LS6 cam in don't try it... you'll get caught. If your thinking about SLP 1.8 rockers it won't work... you'll get caught.

The Street Stock classes will be watched more closely than any of the other classes.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm sure someone will think of a good way to cheat....
Old 07-04-2003, 05:31 PM
Resident Grump

I'm sure someone will think of a good way to cheat....

But Terry that's why Angie let's me hang around.... I'm an old Stock and Super Stock racer from the 60's and 70's.... We invented creative rules interpretation. Don't think that we won't ask someone to pull a piston out if we think there getting inventive.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL..

Now I have another reason not to go. Not going to drive 1200 miles (one way) with any chance of tearing my car apart! Valve covers have never been off.. I'll be damn if it's happening 1200 miles from home!

My car is a driver.. Which I'm sure 99% of the SI cars are. Not dedicated race cars.

But, that goes back to the original discussions about a stock internals class. It would need to be a trophy class.. to keep the class on the honor system. That way there wouldn't be much need to cheat.

Old 07-04-2003, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cool class but if you want it to be a real bolt on shootout then you need to lower the weight break to 3200# and allow ET streets/slicks. That is what all the quick bolt on cars are running. With your rules it will be a whos who of low 12 second bolt on cars, vs. the mid 11 second crowd you'd like to attract. Just IMHO.
WOW.. for once I completely agree with Terry
Old 07-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Resident Grump

WOW.. for once I completely agree with Terry
Terry the class is for the entre level cars hence bolt on's. Once you start putting on the better tires it will then require better rearends and clutches for the stick cars. The class is meant for the person that drives his car every day then bolts his drag radials on and goes racing. As for the 3200lb class there is one.... It's called Pro Stock... And you get to run slicks.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
Resident Grump

LOL..

Now I have another reason not to go. Not going to drive 1200 miles (one way) with any chance of tearing my car apart! Valve covers have never been off.. I'll be damn if it's happening 1200 miles from home!

My car is a driver.. Which I'm sure 99% of the SI cars are. Not dedicated race cars.

But, that goes back to the original discussions about a stock internals class. It would need to be a trophy class.. to keep the class on the honor system. That way there wouldn't be much need to cheat.

If you have a class with rules you have to enforce them. When you say stock internals how else do you confirm that without at least checking valve lift, intake ports, cubic inches and do a visual of the rocker arms etc.... I'm sorry you feel like you do about not coming to the race... You can always come and run the bracket race with no teardown.

Ask anyone that went to last years race... It's a blast.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

[...The class is meant for the person that drives his car every day then bolts his drag radials on and goes racing.
Substitute DOT Slick for Drag Radial and you have a perfect discription of my car
Old 07-04-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Fist off I didn't make this post to hear complaints about the classes, I was just putting the information out there for people that were interested. You people can continue to "internet race" forever and strip your cars down as low as you can and try to beat others records. But the only real true way to see how you stack up against other bolt-on cars is to run them heads up. You can go by the SI List all you want, but if you really think about it some of those people were just lucky to run on a good day with some awesome weather and pulled a bunch of weight out to get the best time out of their car possible, some going to much extreme to do so. They also run on different tracks with different elevation. There are tons of people out there running their cars at 1500 or more above sea level and they can barely get an 11 sec timeslip, some of them still hoping for one because they see that others have done it. But now it's all fair, no complaining, no excuses and no about anything.
You must have checked out the SI List too and yeah the faster cars are lighter weight, hell I am one of them, but am I complaining? Plust 50% of the names on that list are no longer SI anymore. Yeah I will admit it would be nice to be able to run slicks, I know my Hoosiers hook up well and produce awesome times and 60' but if you go by those rules you will have like 5-7 people max show up for these classes.
Substitute DOT Slick for Drag Radial and you have a perfect discription of my car
that makes two of us :p