Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth it to change out from my Spohn Drag bar to a Wolfe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to change out from my Spohn Drag bar to a Wolfe?

I am just wondering if anyone here can give a good answer on if changing from my Spohn 1" Drag/Anti Roll bar to a Wolfe Anti Roll would be worth the effort and money.
I have no problems with the Spohn and the car leaves straight, I am just wondering if the Wolfe is that much better?
TIA
Old 01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your car a drag car? The wolfe is a weld in.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering your best ET is 11.44, I don't think it's cost effective, down the road if you were running 8's sure I'd be all over their double anti roll bar.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

The car is a street/strip car, more strip than street. The Spohn is also a weld in bar.

The car went 11.44 on motor with the 347 and a 4L60 at 3650 lbs.

This year I am going with a TH350 w/ a brake and losing some weight. I also plan to spray the car this year, planning on a 250 shot, well see how it works out.

I am also planning/building a 447 CI engine that will go in next winter. My hope at that time is to be able to get into the 9's on motor. Nitrous is a possibility than, depends on how I do on motor.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Banned

The rest of my suspension/ drivetrain includes 9" w/ Spool, Spohn rod ended control arms and panard rod, QA1's all the way around (R series in the front with 300 LB springs). Spohn adjustable Trans mounted TQ arm w/ relo bracket.

I hope to do Kmember and a arms before this season starts
Old 01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Check out the new ARB assembly from TRZ. It is mostly a bolt in deal (except for the tabs on the rear end) and it works very well. It is on a mid seven second car already also.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not worth changing. the spohn is very similar to the BMR and both are good for 1.3 60'

also, the wolfe, billingsley, etc (all welded anti roll bars) are nasty on teh street.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:00 AM
8 Second Club

I don't see the need for any change. My car 60's between 1.27 and 1.29 and has been as quick as 8.76 with a spohn bar on it. The car should be capable of 8.50's or better this year and will still be running the same bar. I would spend the money elsewhere as what you have now is maore than adequate for what you're doing.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No...
Steves tq arm is fine....
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

Thanks guys. I am going to stick with it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I've been 1.24 with the Spohn and except for it being 10lbs heavier than the wolfe I dont see any reason to change it.

Only thing I dont like about the Spohn is the way the bar is bent i cant put aftermarket shocks on the car larger than stock diameter, mine is four years old and maybe they changed the way they bend them now..
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
I've been 1.24 with the Spohn and except for it being 10lbs heavier than the wolfe I dont see any reason to change it.

Only thing I dont like about the Spohn is the way the bar is bent i cant put aftermarket shocks on the car larger than stock diameter, mine is four years old and maybe they changed the way they bend them now..
Hey KP.... where is that write up on your car that was in your sig.? Just wanting to check it out. Your car is F'n nice.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Its back up, I have limited bandwidth and they turn it off after it exceeds their limit.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kp

I did notice that the clearance there was very small. Almost thought I was going to have an issue there when I was lining everything up to install it.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wonderbread
I did notice that the clearance there was very small. Almost thought I was going to have an issue there when I was lining everything up to install it.
I have tried to put Afco and Strange shocks on and I cant do it. I think mine might have been bent a little off since it even hits stock shocks if I let the rear drop some and the bar is as far forward as it can go. If I could bend the ends in 1" total it would fit any shock but I cant see bending that bar lol. But I'm getting to need some better shocks than these CE 3 ways so i'll have to either switch sway bars or relocate the bottom shock mount a little.

If you look at the BMR bar it has a curve bent around the shocks, if I was to buy a new one thats what I would buy unless Spohn changed theirs.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I have tried to put Afco and Strange shocks on and I cant do it. I think mine might have been bent a little off since it even hits stock shocks if I let the rear drop some and the bar is as far forward as it can go. If I could bend the ends in 1" total it would fit any shock but I cant see bending that bar lol. But I'm getting to need some better shocks than these CE 3 ways so i'll have to either switch sway bars or relocate the bottom shock mount a little.

If you look at the BMR bar it has a curve bent around the shocks, if I was to buy a new one thats what I would buy unless Spohn changed theirs.
I had the same issues with mine.I milled a little off the lower mount on the strange shocks to get them to fit. They will still just rub if I let the rear hang down all the way. I may machine up some slightly offset lower shock studs to fix that although it isn't a problem.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by rtk434
I had the same issues with mine.I milled a little off the lower mount on the strange shocks to get them to fit. They will still just rub if I let the rear hang down all the way. I may machine up some slightly offset lower shock studs to fix that although it isn't a problem.
I didnt feel like taking a chunk out of these 700.00 Afcos I have laying here I had a set of the older style Afcos on the car a while back and got them to fit making an offset spacer to put the bolts at a 45 degree angle but these new ones are bigger on the bottom and wont go at all.

I called Spohn about it years ago and they said no one else ever complained so it must have been just me. I'll probably just get a set of those madman brackets that turn them 90 degrees and weld them off center. These cheapie CE shocks have been working fine but I'd like to have a little more control over the rear..
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

I would say no, ramairws6 has a spohn and I have the wolfe and it does the same thing just differenet mounts.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by kp

You are correct our bar was bent to help with shock clearance issues.

Another advantage is our bar is 1.25" versus 1.0" the Spohn bar. This bar has proven itself to run well into the 7 second range.
If you have any other questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask.

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
You are correct our bar was bent to help with shock clearance issues.

Another advantage is our bar is 1.25" versus 1.0" the Spohn bar. This bar has proven itself to run well into the 7 second range.
If you have any other questions regarding our product line please feel free to ask.
Do you know if your BMR bar would bolt in using the Spohn mounts. They use a smaller mount than you guys that use and it replaces the stock mount for the stock sway bar. The tabs are welded in, but any idea if the eyelets would be the same on the joints?