Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring? What can go and what needs to stay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring? What can go and what needs to stay?

I picked up a roller formula up a couple weeks ago and have started stripping it down to get ready for the cage. Im having trouble finding a decent wiring diagram so that i can see what i can do away with. Basically I'm trying to keep basic stuff like the brake lights, head lights, and what not. I'm not interested in keeping the radio, speakers, alarm, and all the b.s. you dont have to have when driving. Any direction is greatly appreciated. And if anyone has a unmolested 6.0 block pm me with a price.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I just got done with this project, and it stucked. I still have to do the wiring in the engine bay, but I'll do that when the motor it out, alot easier to deal with at that point.

I started with the radio wires in the back, pull them out, and just cut them off, then snake oen wire at a time out until you have them all out. Next was the HVAC wires, did the same with all that. Airbag stuff was next, same thing. Once you have all that out, you've got probably 90% of what doesn't need to be there. I still have all the wires in the engine bay for the abs, once I have that stuff out I will attempt to get any related wiring out of the inside from that, but I don't know what there is inside the car for that. Tranny wiring is also gonna go when the tranny is out, mainly because it's easier to get to with the motor out of the car.

Get that stupid rubber mat off the firewall, it's a PITA to get off and you will be cutting it in little pieces to remove it, but that thing weigh's over 20 lbs, so it's worth the time.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 AM
LC
TECH Resident

I did the same as JL, but im trying to find wire diagrams to remove uneeded dash cluster wiring too, if anyone has wiring diagrams for a 2000 camaro please let me know...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here I just followed each wire to a system that I was removing and pulled it all the way back to either the fuse box, or other termination point, it got a lot of it out of there, but like JL I haven't done anything under the hood yet, and I was planning on pulling the un needed under hood stuff before this spring...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Get that stupid rubber mat off the firewall, it's a PITA to get off and you will be cutting it in little pieces to remove it, but that thing weigh's over 20 lbs, so it's worth the time.
No kidding! That thing is a major pain! I still haven't got it all cut out in behind the steering column. A loose hacksaw blade and a box cutter will help out a lot.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Race your car!

hacksaw blade, I never thought to use that. I used a good pair of dikes and just snipped my way along Was certainly not the most fun task.

I have to yank the ABS block and all the wiring associated with that, that's not gonna be a whole bunch of fun. I think I'm gonna just lop the wires off @ the connector (battery unhooked on that one LOL) and leave it alone until I get the motor out, which at that point the K frame and a arms will come out, and I'll just get a chair, sit down in the engine bay, and unloom and snip until it hurts

I have to make room for the burkhart k member and the motor plate, so I'm gonna try to get started this week. Damn race cars, too much work.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

We just got done removing the complele mess in my car.Ill take pics and post tomarrow and give a low down of what was removed.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Definately not fun. I did get the fuse box back where it belonged though.

I have done part of the engine harness but decided to wait until I have the engine out again to finish it.

I am using the Factory manual for wiring.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Definately sucks. I was disappointed with all the work and little weight the wires added up to. The carpet backing and dash mat added up though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

It's not about weight savings doing this mod. I just want to clean up under the hood and thin out what isn't being used under the dash. Less loose wires less chance of something shorting out. I'm even goin to try and get the relay fuse box mounted under the dash where the heater was.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Race your car!

That's why I did it as well. The less wires in the car that aren't needed the less chance of a problem IMO.

I do have one question, I was told there's a seperate ABS computer, where/what does it look like? I wanna remove that as well, and the TCS **** too.

One other question, where is there a good switched ignition source I can use to hook up my guages? I have them wired into the pink wire off the tcs right now, but if I get rid of that I need another place to hook that stuff up to.....
Old 01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LT1 ABS is under the dash mounted to the Heat box. Not sure about LS1s
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

That's why I did it as well. The less wires in the car that aren't needed the less chance of a problem IMO.
and if you do have a problem, it makes it easier to troubleshoot...
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Race your car!

Pretty much. I still have some stuff left to remove then I will relooom the wire up, so it will be somewhat protected. I wanna turn the vats off so the little sensor in the back can go away, and if I relocate the line lock to the shifter handle and put the transbrake on the steering wheel like I want, the center console may go away as well.

I just need to find a ignition switched power source for the guages, and then I'll be good to go.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
LC
TECH Resident

What sensor in the back?

If you are talking about the one near the amp, thats a shock sensor.. it was the first thing i ever removed from the car because alarm would go when a open header car passed by..
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Race your car!

Yeah, that thing. I left it there because I figured it was part of the VATS nonsense. I'm surprised I haven't removed anything that set that off already LOL. With the dash out, the car will still start and stay running, so I assume I haven't gotten anything out that I shouldn't have LOL.

Now, that switched ignition source, is there one that isn't involved with the radio/hvac/airbags somewhere I can tap into? There's got to be something that is that goes to the body control module that controls the windows and whatnot (little black box that was mounted over near the passenger's air bag)
Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Yeah, that thing. I left it there because I figured it was part of the VATS nonsense. I'm surprised I haven't removed anything that set that off already LOL. With the dash out, the car will still start and stay running, so I assume I haven't gotten anything out that I shouldn't have LOL.

Now, that switched ignition source, is there one that isn't involved with the radio/hvac/airbags somewhere I can tap into? There's got to be something that is that goes to the body control module that controls the windows and whatnot (little black box that was mounted over near the passenger's air bag)
I would use one from the ignition harness in the steering column.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Race your car!

That's what i"m thinking. I know Pink wires are all switched ignition source wires, I just need to find one that I can add a little load to and not have a problem. This project never ends
Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Launching!

You shouldnt have a problem if you are just hooking up gauges. Ive hooked up things that draw more amps than that with no problem
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Teching In

not meaning to hijack the thread but has anyone installed one of the 18 circuit paineless wiring kits?