Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper support removal help. Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper support removal help. Trans Am

I was trying to pull off the front bumper support of of my trans am, I think I got all the bolt's off of it but seems like I have to take off the bumper to remove it. The foam sits all the way to the front of the bumper and looks like I need to pull it foward to remove. Anybody know how to take the front bumper support off of a Trans Am? Does the bumper have to come off?
I already tried the search.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You have to remove the bumper cover first, it's never gonna come out without removing the bumper cover.

I have done this to a couple cars, and I tried it the way you are the first time, after about 15 min of messing with it, I spent the next 15 min taking the bumper cover off and then it became very very easy.

A small alum brace from the center lower clip hole to the hood latch lower brace will stop the bottom from sagging, worked really good for me anyway. I have also heard of people just cutting that center flap off, I've always wanted to try that, but I haven't found a junk front bumper cover to test it with and see if it looks o.k./doesn't sag.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same thing he said remove the front cover, I trimmed the lower part of the bumper on my camaro to remove some of the weight under the bottom, it doesn't sag, also I made a small frame out of some small tubing that fits right behind the bumper skin to keep it from caving in at high speed.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
I made a small frame out of some small tubing that fits right behind the bumper skin to keep it from caving in at high speed.

Although I haven't had a problem at 138 to 139 mph, this is something that intrests me. I have to put a bar around the 2 gal. fuel cell I am gonna put in front of the radiator for nhra tech, but a small bar to hold the nose up in proper postion, that I like the sound of.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can make something like this behind the nose and tie it into the radiator support.

You can make it out of thin wall tubing, or even aluminum to save weight, adding a frame period will help a lot from the nose pushing in.

1st one I made was out of 1/2" thin wall tubing.
Attached Thumbnails Front Bumper support removal help. Trans Am-mod123.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Race your car!

I made a couple straps out of alum stock to hold up the bottom of the bumper cover so it didn't sag, and it worked perfectly. I'm going to be putting a fuel cell in front of the radiator right in front of the hood latch, so I have to put a bar in front of that per nhra, probably something simple that can be bolted to the bumper support brakcets, I'll have a couple tabs put on it to hang my fog lights off of as well ( cut a couple pieces off the bumper support to hold them in place) When that brakect gets made, I'll try to either have it coem put to a V enough to hold up teh support, or weld another bar onto it to do solidify it.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper support removal help. Trans Am