Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 5.xx gear too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a 5.xx gear too much?

Well I really decided my car needs to be all it can this year. I had an unfortunate incident popping a motor early last year and kinda kept me back. Buying a 9 inch later this week. Car is going to be all motor so this is all its gonna have. Heres a list of what the car is. Car will be lightened a bit here and there also.

28 in tall MT DR 275 wide...
MS4 cam only motor with rodbolts and a Melling oil pump and double roller (regular exhaust, header, ls6, lid bolt ons)
Stock suspension (I wanna see how fast I can go on stock suspension) besides tubular LCAs and comp engineering rear shocks
Willing to take the motor up to like 6900...
Built 6 speed with a centerforce clutch thats working great...

Anyone have a suggestion on gear? I did the calculator and it told me in the 5.xx neighbor hood. Anyone have past experience?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4.56 IMO

I think a 5.XX would be too much with the 6 speed. If you were running a Powerglide I'd say go for it but that much gear with a stick would be a pain in the *** to drive unless you had a clutchless setup.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:48 PM
12 Second Club

Was even considering like a 4.88. Right now I'm running 4:10 with a 26... If i move to a 28 and a 4:56 that will be like a lateral move. Car is definately not at the top of 4th at the traps...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run a 5.13 with one of our cars using a power glide. We shift about 8200.

Depending on how the car leaves it is hard to say, If you leave wheels up and it's a pretty fast car you're talking about shifting mid air which may be a little tricky.

Also if the car hooks really good it may be hard keeping the front down with that much 1st gear ratio.

It's nothing new old school super stock guys ran 4 speeds with 5.xx gears with small blocks forever like that.

I'd personally run the tallest tire you can fit, then throw as much gear as you need in it.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

sounds like a plan... I was planning on trying to run a 28 tire... Really up in the air. I guess I need to find out what hp the car is making and the definite weight before i make any irrational decisions.