Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY 11's: GO Ram Air!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default FINALLY 11's: GO Ram Air!!!

Below is from another post ... all-in-all I made nice MPH/ET gains by ONLY improving the ram air effect of the car. For the ram air nay-sayers who say ram air effect has little or no effect and is not worth the effort, I say read below, see my timeslips, and draw your own conclusions. It put me from a 12.03x to 11.89x's with a slightly worse 60' time than before.

Results are in.

Changes:

1. K&N filter removed

2. Swapped SLP lid to a 85 mm lid

3. Added JAAM air plate

4. Bottom snorkel holes I cut from the nose of the hood.

Slightly worse 60' foot times

MPH gain: 1.8
ET gain: .14

If 60' launches were identical, MPH gain would have been 1.5 and ET gain would be 2 MPH.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 01-26-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that mph could be attributed to a slightly worse 60 and nice weather. to get a true comparison u would need to do back to back runs w/ and w/o the filter. also looks like .14 gain in et not 1.4. which again is very miniscule and could be weather attributed. congrats on the 11's but dont get too excited yet thinking it was all in the ram air mods. u will need some more runs and be able to consistantly run those numbers.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you need to compare da conditions...and have better controls when performing a test or comparison...
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
that mph could be attributed to a slightly worse 60 and nice weather. to get a true comparison u would need to do back to back runs w/ and w/o the filter. also looks like .14 gain in et not 1.4. which again is very miniscule and could be weather attributed. congrats on the 11's but dont get too excited yet thinking it was all in the ram air mods. u will need some more runs and be able to consistantly run those numbers.

LOL!!! Yeah, sorry ... made a typo. I only wish I could have went 1.4 faster ... corrected.

Originally Posted by chrs1313
you need to compare da conditions...and have better controls when performing a test or comparison...
Do the math.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...q_statename=NA

More back-to-back testing to follow, as planned.

Last edited by JEB99TA; 01-26-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats....knew it was only a matter of time

-brandon
Old 01-26-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Brandon. I only stalled it to 2000 and rolled into it easy ... as I crossed the 60' mark, I had that feeling of, 'F***! Why didn't you nail it harder ... dammit!!?'

I'm not arguing with some of these folks, because, there will always be people who, no matter what you do or say, will argue for argument's sake. That's why I said in Post #1:

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
For the ram air nay-sayers who say ram air effect has little or no effect and is not worth the effort, I say read below, see my timeslips, and draw your own conclusions.
Stronger air charge = more %volumetric efficiency per cylinder = better performance.

Install University proven.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM
10 Second Club

First day DA +18 ft on Dec 22....

Second time you went with ram air DA was -645 ft... on my car around 800 ft is about 10hp, 1 tenth, or 1mph which ever way you wanna look at it...so just due to weather you gained around .82 mph

i am a firm believer in ram air too just make sure you do the comparison right and state all conditions...
Old 01-27-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have gained 2 full tenhs from nothing but cooler weather.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by mike c.
I have gained 2 full tenhs from nothing but cooler weather.
when i had my automatic car i could gain nearly a half second between summer and winter months. this car doesnt seem to care as much. no more then 2 tenths usually.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

lol ... check this ductwork out I did this weekend:

Old 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

man that hood is cut up now...would have just went with a ftra...better performance with the bottom feeding ram air...i like the idea though
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

I had an old 78 Z28 w/ 383, AFR heads, etc. that would run 11.9 @ 112 all day long no matter the weather until I put in a pan that sealed the carb to the scoop on the hood. With the pan it would run 11.7 and 114. I told many a person about it and always got the usual you're bs'ing or whatever reply. Then I would remove and show them.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrs1313
man that hood is cut up now...would have just went with a ftra...better performance with the bottom feeding ram air...i like the idea though

I had the FTRA for about 6 months and from the time I installed it, I kept taking it back to NLP because I thought the motor overheating was an issue with the new forged motor. I took the FTRA off and the overheating stopped. I'm now getting a direct air charge from cooler air up top instead of scooping it a couple inches fROm the hot Florida asphalt. The air charge goes DIRECTLY into the intake.

The hood isn't 'cut up'. It's highly modified and wide open. It's also working for me at the track I haven't even had it to the track since I did the ductwork. I'll post you up some 11.7's next time I gte to the dragstrip.

Motor now runs cool (worth some ponies) and the air charge is at WAAAAY more volumetric efficiency than the FTRA (more power).

Are you saying that a cooler air charge at A much greater velocity makes no difference?

Friday night proved to me it works and very well. I'll post up my next timeslips as soon as weather permits. Of course, I could run 10's and some folks would still attribute the gains to weather and everything under the sun. Regardless, more back-to-back runs need to be made. Friday, my mph and ET improvements were nice ... been trying to break 11's for a very long time now. I made the changes and they worked for me. :-)
Old 01-28-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Pics with the hood closed ... airtight seal between the hood and airbox ... no gap whatsoever:

Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

looks really good!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM
9 Second Club

not to dis as i like the idea but if u look at that car in a wind tunnel u actually get more air pressure at the area in front of the radiator. the bulk of tha ir goes either under/ over the car.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah the da was more the 650 ft difference look at my post you gained around 1mph which is good but you got a different lid, and larger maf too...so the power gains could be related to that not just the ram air...

you are wrong about "air charge is at WAAAAY more volumetric efficiency than the FTRA (more power)."

this would be true if our cars werent bottom breathers...i have made around 20rwhp with my ram air intake over stock...i dont think you are going to get that with your holes in the hood...

why dont people see this that the best place to get air for our cars with minimal modifications is from below...the majority of the air that hits the nose goes over the hood or below (like already posted)...think about why a prostock car has their hood scoops off of the car around 10 inches...it isnt becasue that is where they liked it but because the air that goes over the hood wants to keep doing that travel over the hood...hince the around 10 in intake above the hood to receive fresh undisturbed air...

i like the idea though so dont get me wrong anything is better than nothing

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I had the FTRA for about 6 months and from the time I installed it, I kept taking it back to NLP because I thought the motor overheating was an issue with the new forged motor. I took the FTRA off and the overheating stopped. I'm now getting a direct air charge from cooler air up top instead of scooping it a couple inches fROm the hot Florida asphalt. The air charge goes DIRECTLY into the intake.

The hood isn't 'cut up'. It's highly modified and wide open. It's also working for me at the track I haven't even had it to the track since I did the ductwork. I'll post you up some 11.7's next time I gte to the dragstrip.

Motor now runs cool (worth some ponies) and the air charge is at WAAAAY more volumetric efficiency than the FTRA (more power).

Are you saying that a cooler air charge at A much greater velocity makes no difference?

Friday night proved to me it works and very well. I'll post up my next timeslips as soon as weather permits. Of course, I could run 10's and some folks would still attribute the gains to weather and everything under the sun. Regardless, more back-to-back runs need to be made. Friday, my mph and ET improvements were nice ... been trying to break 11's for a very long time now. I made the changes and they worked for me. :-)
Old 01-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Nice times keep up the great improvements coming - hope you don't think this is a flame.

My old habit when I tried to confirm that I was making more hp with a change was to read the 1/8 mile to the traps. If I was making more power it made sense it would show there. My experience told me many things happen in the first 1/8. Track conditions change etc.etc.

Not going to try and bust your bubble. You ran the numbers, it's OK to BRAG. It's looks like your change made a difference but.. Even in Florida the friggen weather conditions might account for this much change.

An old man and his dog!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah .... and this old man is 50 ... LOL!!!! While agree-ing with much of what is being said ... whether it is a pro or a con ... makes sense. I just have to do more back-to-back runs. I've riveted some ductwork in to eliminateair from going up under the hood and casuing more drag. This was done since my runs Friday night, so, I'll have to start over with the testing.

It's a lot of fun, though. I'll start looking at the 1/8th-mile-to-traps times, as well ... makes good sense ... didn't think of that. Thanks for all the input and keep it coming.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

Great results. How come you did the custom hood sealing instead of going with the complete JAAM Kit?