Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the TRZ ARB setup yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone using the TRZ ARB setup yet?

I really like the idea (and weight) of their new ARB/PHB assembly, just wondering if anyone has been using it and how it did for you? This is promarily a street car that sees the track occasionally, I'm just looking to lighten it up a bit. I plan to disconnect one of the links for street driving too. I'm mainly concerned with it being mounted in the factory PHB location, I'm afraid extended street use will tear the mounts up.

I currently have the Spohn drag bar, it is nice but heavy. The weight is in a good place I guess though...
Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Retired Street Racer

I know chris has it on his Camaro, but I don't think he has ran the car yet. His screen name is Z8's.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THAT STUFF IS JUNK!!!! J/K

I want to see how it works too, someone post up some info.

I have this really stupid idea, how about TRZ puts a video on their site!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RAGENZ28
THAT STUFF IS JUNK!!!! J/K

I want to see how it works too, someone post up some info.

I have this really stupid idea, how about TRZ puts a video on their site!!!!
you be carefull. you might get shot thinking logical like that
Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

No one? I know Chris has one. He's probably still mad at me for buying Alphas Bogarts when he wanted them.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TS6, there aren't a lot of them out there yet as this is brand new (only about 2 - 3 months). For some reason, most of the ones we've sold so far have gone up North to the Chicago area! And I know the weather up there isn't 'ideal' for racing yet, so they're probably not driving around w/ em yet.

Below is a video of 1 of the 2 kits we have on a car down here in FL.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...fb013d34ce.htm

Ragen, this is the only vid. we have so far of it... but I will use your idea and put a few better vids up on our site once we get a chance to get em. Thanks! We do our own website so suggestions are always welcome!

Also, we do recommend putting a few weld beads on the factory monting points and seams once its all installed and set. Bolting it in makes it nice for locating it and takes the work out of centering it, but for the quicker guys we are recommending welding the mounting points just for insurance. We haven't seen any instances yet... but if it were my car, Id still put a few welds on the seams and such.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hey guys. The pictures that TRZ has on their website are from our 95 Firebird shop car. The car is primarily a street car, and we do not unhook the ARB for use on the street. We do have the advantage of the roads around Gainesville here being really flat so that is nice. If you have some harsh angles to drive over like a driveway or store entrance then it would definitely be better to unhook the bar for street use. When I first installed the kit I pried around on the piece to see if anything flexed and it was very solid. On the more serious stuff, like TRZ said, we put a couple small welds on the side that bolts to the car. The one on our 95 is not welded and it has been working fine and keeps the car perfectly flat on the street, even without the front sway bar on it.

On our car, we have already run some high 10s with this setup, and it has been 4.88 @ 151 mph in the 1/8th on another car that we are testing it on.

I have another car coming in next week that I will be putting this kit on as well and it should be a good runner at the strip. Its a 408/TH400/12 bolt setup that we are adding a T6 frame 76mm S400 turbo to along with some other suspension/roll cage upgrades. The goal with this car is mid to low 9s and eventually a trip into the 8s once the owner gets used to the power that the 76mm turbo makes.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Not to be picky but when you can get them how about a car leaving off a transbrake or side stepping a clutch at high rpm.

Not trying to be a dick but I'd like to see it ran on something besides a foot braked pass.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am just wondering why the ARB is bolted to the PHB support, is this needed for adjustability or anything else?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
I am just wondering why the ARB is bolted to the PHB support, is this needed for adjustability or anything else?
It's just an existing bolt hole location so the bar is 100% bolt in, with the exception of having to weld the tabs to the rear end for the ARB rod ends.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Uhhhhmmmm, Ragen did you read my entire post????

and it has been 4.88 @ 151 mph in the 1/8th on another car that we are testing it on.
That car was off of the trans brake and went into the 1.20s in 60ft.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

1slowformula, I believe the reasoning behind the ARB bolting to the panhard rod support was just to ease the installation of this piece for the average guy at his house. I installed the one on our 95 Firebird in about an hour, taking pics of each step as I went along. Adding everything together like that also allows for the entire unit to be light also. This entire kit weighs 17 pounds.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Banned

yes..Z8's has one which we will be installing shortly. We probably won't see track time until mid. April here though.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Ragen, I understand. Once we get some more vids available with various combo's and launches, we can and will post them and put them on our website. Thats all we have right now though. I don't have a vid of it on the quicker 1/8 mile pass that Cutlassracer is talking about yet.

We made it to be a bolt-in using the existing mounts for ease of installation and quickness too. There are no adjustments needed besides the adjuster lengths that will vary depending on ride heights, but thats just a simple turn of the adjusters. By doing it that way it takes all the guesswork out of installing it correctly and being centered... it does all that itself. We do have custom ARB kits available at any length and desired adjuster length needed, but that would be a complete weld-in unit and on these cars would require the removal of at least the fuel tank and possibly the after-axle portion of the exhaust.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
yes..Z8's has one which we will be installing shortly. We probably won't see track time until mid. April here though.

Larry, as an impartial third party, I'd love to hear your opinion of how this will work and what you think of the product for a 9 or 10 second street driven car.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

My comment was from a business/marketing stand point, I know It would be more appealing to the market if there were videos of faster cars.

Seeing is believing, you make a 1.2x 60ft pass and a 4 sec 1/8th mile, using a bolt-on product you produce, I would think you'd be all over pimping that fact out.

Videos are a great way to do that.

Good luck on the sales moving on now.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

are there any concerns with driving this bar on the street, like with the wolfe bar? Or do the bolt in parts of the bar allow enough flex to not even worry about it? I'm only talking like 500-1000 miles a year.

Also, I already have stock type swaybar mounts welded on my 12 bolt, are these going to get in the way of the endlink brackets that need to be welded on?

thanks,
Steve
Old 02-02-2008, 10:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They should not be in the way of the stock style swap bar mounts as the new tabs weld on the top/rear part of the axle tube.

Like I mentioned earlier, the TRZ bar on our 95 has already seen a ton of street time. I personally think if you use your head when you drive and try to take any major angle changes as straight on as possible then you shouldnt have any issues. The shop that I work at has put many TRZ ARBs on different cars (G-Bodies, A-Bodies, Mustangs) and have yet to have a customer hurt one from street driving.

Ragen, I was doing my best to get a video of the car I mentioned, but I was only able to go to the first test session where we ended up with a really poor track surface so we did not get any worthwhile results. The engine from this particular car is about to come out to be freshened and once he gets everything back together I think the plan is to do some more testing with the old setup, then the TRZ setup and better document the results. We were in such a rush installing it and testing last time where we didnt get this information, although the car did record its quickest and fastest 1/8 mile ever, but in all honesty that was due to air conditions and not only the ARB.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the TRZ ARB setup yet?