Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took a little weight out of the TA tonite

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Took a little weight out of the TA tonite

Well since I was bored after work today, I decided to put the TA on the lift and start poking around as to what I could possibly get rid of. With a 1/4 tank of fuel, no front sway bar, Prostars on the front, 17" Z06 replicas on the rear and some lighter front seats, it tipped the scales at 3215 w/out me in it.

I removed the sway bar brackets that attached to the frame, heat shield on the driver side which ran from the trans crossmember to the front frame rail, the shield on the pass. side where the factory exhaust is run and the fuel tank shield. On the interior I finally pulled the rear seat and belts so I can build a light weight delete next week. I'm figuring I may have pulled 20 or so pounds out of it.

Has anyone else removed those heat shields on their daily driver and if so, have you experienced any problems with the brake lines the driver side shield covered?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I pulled every heat shield off except the one that protected the clutch line and the fuel lines on the drivers side when I put the headers on the car, never had a problem. Way I figure it, those shields were designed to work with the stock exhaust, once you change it all, they're not doing what they should anymore, at least not to the level of effeciency they once were.

Leave them off you will be fine. Good move on the brackets too, if the swaybar is off, that stuff isn't needed.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Twotonefreak
Has anyone else removed those heat shields on their daily driver and if so, have you experienced any problems with the brake lines the driver side shield covered?
I removed all mine several years ago when I was putting long tubes on my then daily driver '00 'bird. I've never had any problems.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really figured it would all be okay, but I've seen crazier things happen. Now the bug is starting to bite and I'm thinking of more things to get rid, yet not make it a tin can since its my DD.