Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out, car won't 60'!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me out, car won't 60'!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alrighty. Mods in sig. I'm getting very frustrated with this damn car. So far of all my passes, trying everything I can with tire psi, launch rpm, brake stalling anywhere from 1500-2200ish, flat footin it, its best is 1.72. BEFORE the BMR lower control arms. It honestly feels like a turd when launching. Most of the 60's are in the 1.74-1.8 range. It doesn't seem to be spinning, b/c on the runs where I know for a fact its spinning, its sliding the tail around. I know the converter isn't the greatest for launching hard, but I see a lot of other folks using the same one and having good results. HELP ME OUT GURU's. Gimme some tips on launching this pig.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:51 PM
12 Second Club

I have same issues. I am trying shocks this year. I am running out of things to throw at it that will help 60'
Old 03-04-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who tuned the tranny??

Any wheel hop?

Car lowered?

I have been using a 255/50/16 on a stock 16" wheel. Nittos are not the best for the drag strip, I would lookinto getting some MT DR's.

I have cheap autozones shocks.. I would not completely blame it on that as my 60's are pretty good.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That gearing are you running, what does the car weigh, and what is it making for power? If you have a 2nd set of track wheels, don't mess around, get a slick, bias ply slick on there, so the traction is no longer a problem. A set of 26x10 et drag's will suit you fine, should provide all the traction you will need, and being a bias ply they are very forgiving to the suspension setup.

If you are on stock gearing, making I'm gonna guess about 380rwhp, and are at 3700 lbs, you aren't doing that bad. Ya just dont' have a light enough car/big enough converter/enough power to 60 foot that much better to be honest. You should be able to get into the mid to low 1.7's consistantly, maybe a high 1.6, but that's probably about the best you can hope for, without removing a good bit of weight, adding power, or changing to a more aggressive gear/converter setup.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Who tuned the tranny??

Any wheel hop?

Car lowered?

I have been using a 255/50/16 on a stock 16" wheel. Nittos are not the best for the drag strip, I would lookinto getting some MT DR's.

I have cheap autozones shocks.. I would not completely blame it on that as my 60's are pretty good.
Wheel hop is gone since I added the BMR lowers.

Stone stock suspension aside from the front sway bar gone, bmr lowers, and edelbrock adj. panhard bar. I know the nittos aren't the best in the world, but I really would have figured them to hook a lil better.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
That gearing are you running, what does the car weigh, and what is it making for power? If you have a 2nd set of track wheels, don't mess around, get a slick, bias ply slick on there, so the traction is no longer a problem. A set of 26x10 et drag's will suit you fine, should provide all the traction you will need, and being a bias ply they are very forgiving to the suspension setup.

If you are on stock gearing, making I'm gonna guess about 380rwhp, and are at 3700 lbs, you aren't doing that bad. Ya just dont' have a light enough car/big enough converter/enough power to 60 foot that much better to be honest. You should be able to get into the mid to low 1.7's consistantly, maybe a high 1.6, but that's probably about the best you can hope for, without removing a good bit of weight, adding power, or changing to a more aggressive gear/converter setup.

With a half tank of fuel and w/out me in it, the skinny's on the front, lighter front seats and no rear seats or belts. It weighs 3300 if I remember correctly. On the dyno w/ a unlocked 'verter, it made 353/347 and I think there was maybe a lil more left in it. I'm running a 3.73 with the 315/35/17's.

Like I said, its been 1.72 on a couple occasions, consistently in the 1.74-76 range with decent prep.

15" rears to match the front Prostars are on the way. I was thinking 26x10's would be a good way to go also, just wasn't sure on what tire.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I was more worried that something was wrong with the car its self. So I guess its right on par for my mods and power level.