Sponsored by:

W2W 25.5 cage pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default W2W 25.5 cage pics

The guys at W2W are moving along pretty good on this, car hasnt been there that long. I was going to tackle doing this myself, I did the old 8.50 Wolfe jig notched cage myself, but just too many bars to make for a 25.5. Investing in a bender and decent tubing notcher for one car plus not having a whole lot of room to work made me take it somewhere else, and after seeing their work and how they take of the car in the process made me drag the car 600 miles to get it done there.

Since the car was complete and running its a little more work then if I just sent a roller in and worked around the cage after it was installed, especially underneath the car. Few pics of the progress so far, I dont really even plan on getting to 8.50 this year but I'll just feel a little safer with the main hoop attached to something solid and not a sheet metal floor, plus being a T-top car I'd rather have a couple bars over my head. Plus now I can add some power without having to sweat the cage cert down the road. So far it looks pretty good IMO, couple pics of the old 10pt right before it was cut out also..

Last edited by kp; 12-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks really good. Quality work there.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great looking cage, your definitely in good hands with Kurt and his staff.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Looks great Kevin! Can't wait to see it up close.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:13 PM

any pics of the under the car bars? or have they not gotten that far yet?

so your old wolfe was cut completely out and they started all over?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forgive me for asking. but what is the difference b/w 25.5 and 25.2?

is it veh weight restriction? and how fast do you plan on going kp? nice work!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...06/ai_n9237212

The SFI Foundation has released four new specifications designed specifically for the roll-cage design on full-bodied cars. The specifications contain requirements that will affect at least some of the cars that compete in NHRA events (national, divisional, sport compact, and local series) and the events of alternative sanctioning bodies. The significant new and/or modified requirements are noted below:

SFI 25.1E

Application: Pro Stock-type tube-chassis roll cage; 7.49 seconds and quicker; 2,800-pound maximum

Implementation date: on all new chassis or next scheduled recertification, beginning Jan. 1, 2004

SFI Spec 25.1E is an updated revision to the current SFI Spec 25.1D with a few small modifications. The new spec limits the maximum total ballast to 250 pounds and implements minimum bolt and tab/mount requirements. The spec also provides the interpretation for the 2,800-pound maximum weight requirement. The other change is the addition of a 1 1/4-inch driver-side kidney bar that has been added in three of the four roll-cage configurations.

SFI 25.2

Application: Pro Stock-type tube chassis roll cage; 6.00 to 7.49 seconds; 3,200-pound maximum

Implementation date: on all new chassis or next scheduled recertification, beginning Jan. 1, 2004

SFI Spec 25.2 primarily affects cars that compete with alternative sanctioning bodies. The SFI 25.2 roll cage contains several upgraded components in the floor, roof, sides, and dash. These specifications were developed so that an SFI 25.1D roll cage may be upgraded by replacing several components of one-inch outside diameter (OD) or less with larger components and adding some new components in order to retain some of the other components that are larger than one-inch OD.
advertisement

SFI 25.4

Application: Pro Stock-type mild-steel or chromoly tube-chassis roll cage; 7.50 to 8.49 seconds; 180.00 mph or faster; 3,600-pound maximum

Implementation date: on all new chassis or next scheduled recertification, beginning Jan. 1, 2005

This specification will affect many of the slower full-bodied cars in Comp, E.T. cars, and those that compete with alternative sanctioning bodies. The specification is quite similar to SFI 25.1D with a mild-steel option for the material. The sizes of some components are slightly downsized from SFI 25.1D. It also permits rectangular tubing for the floor components. The major changes are the Funny Car cage, floor, and cage-support requirements.

SFI 25.5

Application: mild steel or chromoly; full-bodied car, stock or modified/OEM floor pan and firewall with OEM frame or uni-body construction; 7.50 to 8.49 seconds; 180.00 mph or faster; 3,600-pound maximum

Implementation date: on all new chassis or next scheduled recertification, beginning Jan. 1, 2005

This specification will affect some of the slower full-bodied cars in Comp, some cars in Super Stock, many E.T. cars, and those that compete with alternative sanctioning bodies. This specification is quite complex but is similar to how SFI 25.1D has been executed for many of the cars in alternative sanctioning bodies that require an OEM floor, firewall, etc. The spec has a mild-steel option for the material, and it permits rectangular tubing for the floor components. The sizes of some components are slightly downsized from SFI 25.1D. Based on retention of OEM floors, rockers, firewall, etc., some of the SFI 25.1D components are not required. Other major changes are the Funny Car cage, floor, and cage-support requirements.

Fire system requirements for 2004: Beginning with the 2004 season, all nitro Funny Car and Top Fuel applications where the driver sits behind the engine (nostalgia) and on rear-engine cars with an enclosed cockpit will be required to have a fire-extinguisher system that meets SFI Spec 17.1. NHRA and SFI Foundation implemented this program to develop guidelines for all of the available systems and to set uniform test procedures and minimum standards for evaluating and determining performance capabilities for systems designed specifically for a drag racing application. For 2005, all additional vehicles that are required to have a fire-extinguisher system must meet SFI Spec 17.1.

Revision to SFI Spec 2.3K: As a result of recent field experience, SFI Foundation has determined that the use of a single back brace in SFI Spec 2.3K will not be permitted on cars built after Jan. 1, 2004. Beginning with that date, all SFI 2.3K vehicles are required to be of a two-back-brace-support design. The specification amendment, which impacts dragsters in Top Fuel and Top Alcohol Dragster, affects all cars built after Jan. 1, 2004, and all existing cars at the next scheduled chassis recertification. For information regarding SFI Spec 2.3K, call SFI Foundation, (858) 451-8868.

Weight addition to TF, FC planned: For the 2004 season, the NHRA Competition Committee will increase the minimum weight for Top Fuel and Funny Car by at least 25 pounds. The increase in weight is based on rules amendments in place for these two categories that will add additional weight to the vehicle. "As a committee, we have decided that we need to put some more weight on these vehicles to compensate for changes in the rules," said Ray Alley, NHRA's director of Top Fuel and Funny Car racing. "As far as exactly how much, that has yet to be determined, but it will be at least 25 pounds. The final weight increase will be released prior to the end of the 2003 season."

Copyright National Hot Rod Association Jun 27, 2003
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28
any pics of the under the car bars? or have they not gotten that far yet?

so your old wolfe was cut completely out and they started all over?
The old cage was cut out completely, the wolfe really wasnt tucked against the roof enough and I need all the room I can get. They are doing it so I can get as much room as possible since I'm tall.

They havent started the bars under the car yet, or they may have but thats all the pics I have.

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
forgive me for asking. but what is the difference b/w 25.5 and 25.2?

is it veh weight restriction? and how fast do you plan on going kp? nice work!
25.2 is good to 6.0 ET, 3200lbs max and has more bars/gussets, especially under the car. Look at Big Mikes, 25.5 will only have a couple bars under the car but nothing like Mike has.

25.5 is good to 7.50 ET, 3600lbs.

Supposedly SFI is going to come out with a 6.0 ET 3600lb cert pretty soon sice a lot of cars cant do the 3200lb minimum.

I dont plan on going much faster this year, its mostly a safety move but you never know. Easy enough to hang a 91mm turbo on it and and an A2W..
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM

can you post some more pics of your old wolfe? i would like to see them.

i just had a 10 point finally put in and will post some pics once i get the car home and paint the cage and put the interior back in.... so like 5 months haha
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM
kp
8 Second Club

can you post some more pics of your old wolfe? i would like to see them.

i just had a 10 point finally put in and will post some pics once i get the car home and paint the cage and put the interior back in.... so like 5 months haha
Here are some, I have quite a few but these the almost done and done pics. I'm not really that proud of it, it was the middle of summer and I was in a hurry to make a couple races. But it did certify fine and I swore I would never TIG weld another cage in a 2 car garage on a 100 degree weekend, I'm too old a fat for that ****..

Last edited by kp; 12-12-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 PM

i almost went with a wolfe but decided not to last minute... glad i didn't the guy did a great job on my cage. But honestly these cars are so odd its prety hard to make the cages tight...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Coal Mining Director

Killer looking cage Kevin. Kurt's a good guy.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
kp
8 Second Club

i almost went with a wolfe but decided not to last minute... glad i didn't the guy did a great job on my cage. But honestly these cars are so odd its prety hard to make the cages tight...
Yea these cars arent like a 68 nova for a roll cage, I just couldnt find anyone around here to do one so I just ordered a Wolfe and welded it in. It was a decent cage, the notching was perfect but with a T-top car I just wanted a funny car cage. I was going to add a FC cage onto the wolfe but figured I''d spend the money for the 25.5.

Originally Posted by onfire
Killer looking cage Kevin. Kurt's a good guy.
Yes he is, and they have one hell of a shop there and do some outstanding work. I usually dont let anyone touch my car but me (not sure if thats good or bad), but some things you just cant do at home with limited room.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Looks awesome Kevin. You steppin' it up again this year? I know how you are.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Looks awesome Kevin. You steppin' it up again this year? I know how you are.
When you run 8.9x or better I'll step it up - hows that

But for now all I'm stepping up is extra weight, about 50-60lbs
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM

oh snap
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Yea these cars arent like a 68 nova for a roll cage....
I take offense to that

Looking good man! You gonna have her done in time to make the trip south to Florida next month?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I take offense to that

Looking good man! You gonna have her done in time to make the trip south to Florida next month?
OK, I' should have said 68 Camaro

I should make it, just have to paint the cage and put the interior back in when I get it back. Should be done in a couple weeks, if everything goes OK I should have plenty of time.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

oh snap psj he called u out bigtime...

It's coming Mister P.... It's coming.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
oh snap psj he called u out bigtime...

It's coming Mister P.... It's coming.
Well kick er sideways as they say here..

Quick Reply: W2W 25.5 cage pics