Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the track for the first time and have a few ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the track for the first time and have a few ???

I'm going to go to the track for the first time within the next few weeks. I know that I need a helmet for sure. I plan to run on nitto 555r DR in the back so I might (doubt it but possible) hit high 12's. I believe I will need a DSL then to do another run if I hit 12's correct?

My questions are would I need anything else to run 12's?

After converter and some more bolt-ons I may hit 11's next summer. What do I need to add for 11's to be eligable to run down a 1/4 mile track?

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with the waterbox and burnouts before a run?

Thanks for the advice

Old 07-25-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Going to the track for the first time and have a few ???

You only need a helmet and DSL until you run 11.999 or faster or unless you have a convertible.

If you break into the 11's or fast you will need atleast a 5 point roll cage, 5 point harness and a fire jacket.

The sucky part is if you just break into the 11's and you add a cage it will somestimes put back to 12.0 hehe

About the lauching with nittos.. drive around the water box and line up your car, you may have to back up some but don't back up into the water.

Watch the car in front of you when you see him launch on the green light it is ok to do your burnout unless a staging director tells you other wise. Put your car in 1st, push the brake with your left foot as hard as you can then stomp the gas. Your rear tires will break loose and spin, watch your rpm's try to keep them at like 5000, once the tires spin count to 3 then release the brake with your left foot. To heat up the nittos you really only need a quick 3 second burnout.

When you pull up to stage, try to line your wheels up with the "groove" you can see down the track there will be 2 strips of rubber where everyone launches from. Thats where you wanna line you tires up to get a little better grip.

Thats about it, have fun man!

Let us know how you run.

Lee

Old 07-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bro. I'll let you know my times as soon as I go. Gonna do some shopping now for helmet and DSL.

Old 07-25-2003, 02:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Since you will have radials front and back, you will want to go around the waterbox, basically drive on the shoulder say at GLD or US31, you'll see.

Now, I have watched a lot of drag radial guys do different things, but I like the idea of backing into the water, doing a quick full spin of the tires, and then pulling forward about a foot and then doing a 5-6 second burnout. I think that by dipping them you save your posi.

Once you do the burnout you don't want to burn the tires out all the way to the line, I'd almost roll out of the burnout. You don't want to get rid of all the sticky rubber you have.

Next stop, the staging lights. You want to keep the car of course in the GROOVE. This is usually visible, it's where all the racers have gone before you... There should be more rubber in the groove. If you line up out of the groove you might be on bare concrete and you might spin.

If you have never run before, go up and watch folks for 10 minutes to get a feel for things... That way you won't feel goofy when you go up there.

You need to understand where the staging beams are. Some newbs will drive past the beams right up the lights... LOL. The beams are like a car length BEHIND the tree.

I suggest keeping track of different things you try so you can TEST and TUNE your combo.

There you have it.

My first pass ever was a 18@75mph since I missed most of my shifts in my old car.