Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Required safety equiptment for 11.99?

Old 08-07-2003, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Required safety equiptment for 11.99?

I hope to break 11.99 next trip to the track.
Do I need a rollbar?
What else will tech check for on an 11 sec. car?
Any other personal safety equip. besides a helmet?
Old 08-07-2003, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Required safety equiptment for 11.99?

rollbar, SFI fire jacket, 5-point harness (within 2 years of date of manufacture) DS loop, solid valvestems, long wheelstuds
Old 08-07-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO it really depends on your track.

At our local track, I ran an 11.16 and the timeslip girl just smiled as I snagged the slip. I had a helmet and a loop. That's it. (The car is currently at LG getting a chromoly 6-point with 5-point restraint attachments, but anyway...)

RAGEman ran his 11.18 there with no cage. Just a helmet (and a loop, I assume ). Heck, he ran 11.teens and 11.2's all night.

Now, if I'd have done that at HRP, they'dve kicked my *** off the track after the first pass.

-Andrew
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

First off, check to see if it's a IHRA or NHRA sanctioned track. Talk to the local guys who run there about how strict their tech is.
At a IHRA track, you can run up to 11.50 without a cage. NHRA is 12.00.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Driveshaft hoops are "iffy" at most tracks for street cars. I've yet to have ANYONE look under my car at the 10 different dragstrips I've run at.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

With wheel lugs, you'll need to show them that the nut has 100% engagement, no "capped" lugs. I only once had that problem, and I pulled a lug to show them the engagement, and all was well.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is a strict track, you'll need a firejacket, SNELL 90 or better helmet, 5-pt harness, roll cage. I think the cage needs to be 6-pt or better.
For now, I avoid strict tracks, or I race at high altitude.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, it only lets me post a couple of sentences at a time. This software bites.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know what you mean about strict / loose tracks. Even after I put longer studs in my axles i was bout 1/8" short of being to the rulebook so I made some "fake studs" to screw through the remainder of the lug (I have open ended lugs). The only reason I felt safe doing this is cause I'm not running slicks- I know that the arp studs aren't going anywhere. Well, to make a long story short after all that work the tech didn't evel glance at my lugs. It was obvious that he'd never bother to look for my missing driveshaft loop.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Are longer studs needed with one piece wheels such as convo pros? I thought with one piece you only needed open end lugs? I hate the thoughts of having ugly long studs sticking out with my chrome street rims.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

These rules apply to 11.99 and faster in NHRA, 11.49 and faster in IHRA for a hardtop car.

Wheel studs have to extend into the hex portion of the nut (the part your wrench/4-way is put on) at least the diameter of the lug. In other words, regardless of what kind of wheel it is, the stud needs to stick out BEYOND the flat portion of the wheel about 1/2" or more. Convo Pro's are thin enough that stock lugs will go through the wheel far enough to fulfill this requirement (at least on Mustangs - probably the same for an F-body).

The rollbar has to be at least 5 pts (most use 6, the other being the side bar on the passenger side to match the sidebar required on the driver's side). Certain amounts and type of padding is required, though I don't remember the specifics, and I don't have my rulebook in front of me. You don't need a "cage".

A 5-pt harness is required anytime you have a bar, it must be less than 2 years old, as determined by the certificate on the harness.

A driveshaft loop is required for any car running "sticky" tires, or any car running faster than 12.99, regardless of tire.

SFI Firejacket is required, less than 2 years old.

Snell 90 or better helmet.

If it is a 6-speed, you need a scattershield.

Bob

PS...as noted, most tracks don't check some or all of this stuff. I've seen guys run 10 second cars with no bar, shorts, junk helmet, etc.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also the use of c-clip eliminators on the axles on cars 11.99 and quicker.

JR
Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
TECH Resident

C-clip elims are required at 10.99 vice 11.99.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with Bob, but, they now require snell 95, and you dont need any drive shaft hoop, extended studs, or c-clip eliminators, unless your running slicks! if you have street tires your fine, thats why if you dont need slicks the drag radials are a great thing to have, also, when the car is in near stock form, other rules may not apply, like for instance the one foot total of rubber fuel line, wich alot of cars have more than that stock, IMO, all of these saftey devices should be on the car anyway, reguardless of getting technical with the rules, have you ever seen a car flip at the track or break an axle or a drive shaft?, if not for these rules the drivers would not be able to simply walk away!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:55 PM
TECH Resident

Agree with Bob, but, they now require snell 95, and you dont need any drive shaft hoop, extended studs, or c-clip eliminators, unless your running slicks! if you have street tires your fine, thats why if you dont need slicks the drag radials are a great thing to have, also, when the car is in near stock form, other rules may not apply, like for instance the one foot total of rubber fuel line, wich alot of cars have more than that stock, IMO, all of these saftey devices should be on the car anyway, reguardless of getting technical with the rules, have you ever seen a car flip at the track or break an axle or a drive shaft?, if not for these rules the drivers would not be able to simply walk away!
Hate to disagree as I like the spirit of your post, but I have to disagree with the following points:

13.99 and faster (I said 12.99 - my mistake) MUST have a DS loop, regardless of tire.

Extended studs are required as described above, regardless of ET or tire (it's the wheel that makes the difference).

C-clip are also required regardless of tire if running 10.99 or faster.

A source for many of these rules is at http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/ETQuickRef.html

Search this Thread