Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any tips for nailing the tree at the track?

Old 08-19-2003, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tips for nailing the tree at the track?

i have a 6spd and i was just wondering at what point on the tree do u guys usually try to drop the clutch? I will be on drag radials. Also any tips for getting a good tree?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Default Re: any tips for nailing the tree at the track?

next to the last yellow always worked for me but u gotta work at it to cut a good light
Old 08-20-2003, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

this would prob. the best tip anybody would give you:

practice, practice, prace and more practice
Old 08-21-2003, 12:13 AM
8 Second Club

To nail the tree just position the car head on from the starting line. Floor it and nail it hard. The good trees are the new high dollar LED bulbs. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

When the last yellow goes out I pull the trigger.And I usually fall in the .500's. But everyone has to find there own thing. practice makes perfect.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

practice, practice, prace and more practice
Yes, that is absolutely the number one most important thing you can do.

Having the right genes helps a lot too. In some sports it’s called “eye-hand coordination.” In dragracing I guess you would call it “eye-foot coordination.” But you can’t change your heritage.

Since I was born with absolutely no natural ability, I’ve tried to compensate by focusing on other things.

I think the main thing is to try to do everything as consistently as possible. This includes:

- always try to stage exactly the same. The easiest way to do this is to first put the top bulb on and then slowly bump in until the second is bulb is just barely lit.
- try to always launch at the same rpm’s
- keep your seat in the same position
- I even make sure I wear the same shoes each time I go the track (probably overkill?).
- use the same lane each time (i.e., either the right or the left). When/if you make it to the later rounds you often won't get lane choice. But its a nice problem to have because if you don't cut good lights in the early rounds, you won't get to the later rounds in the first place.

Once you find what works for you, don’t change anything.

Second, once you have staged, FOCUS on the bottom couple of lights. They should be the only thing that exist in the world. Don’t worry about anything else around you including the guy in the other lane.

Third, try to stay relaxed although that can often be very difficult to do. Preasure is your worse enemy. You see many racer (like me) fall apart in the later rounds because they get too keyed up.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

focus on the lights, leave when the last yellow comes on, do the same launch every time, whatever that may be, and practice practice practice practice, more practice, and finally practice, buy the ihra drag racing computer game and build your car, practice the tree on the game it will help your timing big time, basically a practice tree set up to your car
Old 08-28-2003, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like above drop the hammer on the last amber light, by the time you floor it and the car reacts the light is green. If you see the green light it may be too late, but the time doesn't start until you cross the line.

Search this Thread