Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF did I do? Installed rim screws, tires won't hold air...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WTF did I do? Installed rim screws, tires won't hold air...

Last track outing I slipped the tire on the rim slightly, so I put rim screws in yesterday. Drilled the holes, installed screws. Tires went flat in a matter of a couple hours. So I did some reading (should have done that first) and saw that alot of guys use some silicone or rubber cement on the screws. I didn't think about it because no air was coming out through the holes anyway. Today I checked my screws with soap and water and they all leaked air. So I removed each one, blew out the hole with air, liberally applied rubber tire patch cement, re-installed the screws and re-checked with soap and water- no bubbles, I'm home free, right? Nope, ******* tire goes flat in maybe 2 hours. I mean flat, 0 psi. I sprayed soap and water all over, including the bead, no bubbles. So where the hell is my air going? I can pump them up, and soak them in soapy water, no bubbles, but they go flat.

I'm frustrated as hell. Simple **** like this should be easy to fix, but its kicking my ***. These tires held air great before, it would take over a month for them to go low at all.

BTW, these are ET drags on MT rims, no tubes.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you drill through the tires?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much air in the tires when you put the screws in? Maybe they are pusing the tire from the bead some?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to say et drags dont hold tire pressure to begin with, now if you have tubes in them your fine ...
Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

i dont have tubes and mine are screwed and there flat in a couple of days
Old 10-02-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fireball
how much air in the tires when you put the screws in? Maybe they are pusing the tire from the bead some?

my guess as well.

take them all out and pump up the air to like 35 and try again. im guessing you have all new screws?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Man-Crush Warning

I believe you need to run tubes if you screw the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
T6Rocket (09-30-2019)
Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

If you coat the inside of the tire with dishwash soap before you mount it it will help it hold air.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I believe the screws are supposed to ***** the tires, but not like be completely thru them? Anyone?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I believe the screws are supposed to ***** the tires, but not like be completely thru them? Anyone?
yes when i drilled mine i just went through my wheel and the screws i used were from jegs and they just go into the rubber .... i dont here mine leaking at all but any wrinkle wall tire will seep air ...
Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
9 Second Club

You're supposed to drill the wheels with the tires removed.
The screws do penetrate the tire but do not go thru them.
You used patch cement??
Some clear silicone will do the job just fine, seals very well and the screws are easily backed out when you have to change tires.
Not sure how the screws are going to come out with patch cement, hehe
Also when you put the screws in the tires should be fully inflated.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:09 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I had the tires inflated but not very far, maybe 15 psi. The thing is the bead isn't leaking at all, so I doubt I pushed the bead in (but I understand what you're saying). I let them dry some and its better, they aren't dropping super fast.

I didn't think the patch cement would dry so hard it would affect removing the screws? Its just rubber cement.

FWIW, I did drill the rims with the tires on, but there was a very small gap between the bead and rim so my drillbit AT MOST may have just touched the rubber, definitely not as deep as the rim screws did. And yes, they were new moroso rim screws. The car is sitting on them now, I'll cross my fingers....
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
kp
8 Second Club

A thin wheel like a Bogart and the usual Moroso length screw will just go all the way though the bead. But I used tubes so it didnt matter.

The M/T wheels are pretty thick so thats not an issue, you need to put more air in there when putting the screws in, even though you cant see it there is a good chance with 15psi it just pushed the beads instead of going into the bead.

I have drilled many rims with the tires on, if you are careful and use a piece of vacuum line or something on the bit as a stop its easy enough to do.

Sometimes you will get some tires/wheel combos that will leak no matter what you do, if you want zero leaks use tubes, I have ran tubes for years and its nice never having to worry about air leaking out. Not to mention they stiffen up the sidewall some and the car is a little more stable with them.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I hear ya KP. I might try tubes, I've just never used them before. Simple enough I guess.

I checked my bead with soapy water and there are no leaks at the bead, not even tiny ones.

So far its holding, its dropping very very slowly but I can deal with that. Before I wouldn't be able to get it to the track!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big fan of tubes here. They change the way the car feels on the big end. Esp higher powered 10 inch tire cars.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
I hear ya KP. I might try tubes, I've just never used them before. Simple enough I guess.

I checked my bead with soapy water and there are no leaks at the bead, not even tiny ones.

So far its holding, its dropping very very slowly but I can deal with that. Before I wouldn't be able to get it to the track!
If you do tubes, be very careful with them. Use LOTS of baby powder on them, in the tire, etc. If you don't, you'll know why you should have.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did my QTP/Bogarts with screws, They go dead in a day or two but good for a day of racing. Never had a problem until the screws but the tires were moving to much
Old 10-03-2008, 12:30 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6

Tubes are no big deal, just make sure you use good ones like M/T tubes. You will have to open up the hole in the wheel for the valve stem. Also make sure you get all the burrs off the inner part of the rim screw holes so the tube doesnt get ripped on them putting it in.

Just make sure whoever is putting the tubes in knows what they are doing. I've been mounting my own slicks for nearly 30 years so its not a big deal but its kind of a lost art these days at most tire stores.

When the temp drops and after you make a couple passes they will leak quicker most likely, unless you have a way to put air n the tires at the track I would do the tubes.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I put screws in my tires a few months ago. They didn't seem to leak any faster, but they did not leak equally after installing screws. It also makes it a pain in the *** to dial in the right air pressure when the tire leaks .5 - 1 psi between runs.

I just got my new tires in a tubes will be going in them.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

I have dealt with screws for years. They always leak out. Tubes are an ok fix but like someone said the car gets' weird on the top end.
If you have the cash, go beadlocks. If not then use silicone and deal with it. It's just a fact of life when you put screws in.

Quick Reply: WTF did I do? Installed rim screws, tires won't hold air...