Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Kind of an odd question regarding altitude horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Kind of an odd question regarding altitude horsepower

First off, I know there isn't a "set power" where our stock motors fail, obviously there are tons of factors that play in. However, generally speaking the 550 rwhp mark seems to be APPROXIMATELY the limit.

My question is this, if I were to make 550rwhp SAE corrected for my altitude, I would in reality be aking about 480rwhp actual. Does this mean that I have a little room to play with and turn up the boost? Meaning should I have my "cutoff" power for actual rwhp or SAE power?

Hope this makes sense, just a random thuoght I had this morning. Thanks!

-Mike
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally i would go for SAE b/c at least then you have a safety barrier but honestly i dont know i would assume rwhp because that is showing actual power to the ground where you have established the "approximate" breaking point
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you would have a little more room to turn it up, but not all the way to 550 actual whp. Theoretically you would be dealing with higher charge temperatures at altitude because of the higher boost needed to make up for the lower air density.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At your elevation there in Evans, CO you have effectively "lost" 3 psi (or about 20%) from sea level. My cousins vette made 532/491 SAE in Virginia Beach, VA, but when we put it on the dyno here in Farmington, NM (5300 ft actual elevation) it made 410/410 non-SAE on a brand new Mustang Dyno. However on the pull here in Farmington he had max'd the dyno out at 142 mph (the college bought the dyno for trouble shooting purposes for the students and didn't buy the better software package) and was still gaining hp. When the car was on the dyno in Virginia Beach the operator quit sampleing at about 150-152 mph.