Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Anyone have dyno Comparson: SC vs Turbo

Old 08-19-2009, 11:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have dyno Comparson: SC vs Turbo

Anyone change from supercharged to turbo charged and have before and after dyno graphs to share (prefer same boost level, but ok if they are a bit different)?... Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might wanna give your mod list to get better results. what kind of power range you looking for, what cubic inch are you, mods, fuel system, meth or no, etc...

also, i doubt many people will have their setup on a s/c and then the same setup for a turbo (or twins) so dont expect those. the forced induction section and a search would prbably be your best friends...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:00 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WSsick
might wanna give your mod list to get better results. what kind of power range you looking for, what cubic inch are you, mods, fuel system, meth or no, etc...

also, i doubt many people will have their setup on a s/c and then the same setup for a turbo (or twins) so dont expect those. the forced induction section and a search would prbably be your best friends...
I did a search and wasn't able to come up with anything. I'm not so much interested in having complete apples to apples comparisons or doing a which is better comparison, just close...I am trying to show differences in boost/hp/tqe curves (i.e. eaton/positive displacement vs. centriful vs. turbo). I know a lot of things can impact the end-results...and I'll take what I can get.

I remember there being a chart around a few years ago which demontrated the differences quite well. I have searched high and low with no luck.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

346, Thunder Trak Cam, AFR 205s, Fast 90/LS2 90

First set up is with a P1-SC @ 7 psi.

2nd set up is same but with twin 67s instead of the P1SC, and at 11.5 psi.

Just a little difference, lol.

Next set up will go 200+ in the mile....
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have dyno Comparson: SC vs Turbo-00_vette_jamie.jpg   Anyone have dyno Comparson: SC vs Turbo-jamie_tt_boost.jpg  

Last edited by Mike@Diablosport; 08-19-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thats a big difference!!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Duh...
2 power adders Vs 1 and 4.5 psi extra, I wonder why , not quite apples to apples for any type of comparison.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

too many variables between sc and tc, to make an accurate comparison.
imo
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

I need to better comunicate what I'm looking for: representation of boost/power curves. I am not necessarily looking to show which one makes more power or which one is more efficient...just how the power curves come on.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Earl H
I need to better comunicate what I'm looking for: representation of boost/power curves. I am not necessarily looking to show which one makes more power or which one is more efficient...just how the power curves come on.
On the SC pull I posted, it made 7 psi on a very linear curve rising with RPM, to a peak of 7 at leak power.

On the TT pull, it hit 7 psi by 4000 RPM, and it was making way more power at 4K rpm than the blower ever could have.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Duh...
2 power adders Vs 1 and 4.5 psi extra, I wonder why , not quite apples to apples for any type of comparison.
Well, maybe if the OP is lucky, this thread will fill up with people complaining about apples to oranges, instead of providing some useful info....

Considering it was same short block, same H/C/I set up, just different means of providing boost, I thought it was a pretty good comparison.

If anyone is interested, I have dynos for that combo N/A, as well as with a 100 shot. Pretty interesting stuff.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Well, maybe if the OP is lucky, this thread will fill up with people complaining about apples to oranges, instead of providing some useful info....

Considering it was same short block, same H/C/I set up, just different means of providing boost, I thought it was a pretty good comparison.

If anyone is interested, I have dynos for that combo N/A, as well as with a 100 shot. Pretty interesting stuff.
Didn't want to be quite so blunt, since I am looking for help..but you pretty much captured the essence of what I was trying to diplomatically say.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport

You pasted my quote; but what/who was I quoting?
I answered the guy saying "That is a big difference" hence my response. (post above mine)

Useful info is 2 power adders (how much more air were the twin huffers pushing Vs the CS?, I bet quite a bit ), and 4.5psi difference you should be able to (theoreticaly) hit another 25% (on a well thought out FI combo) in power increase.
The only thing those graphs show you is that CSCs are linear with rpm, and that Turbos (especialy TT) will shift your trq down low in rpms, giving you a totaly different curve. (Anyone having dealt with FI should know that).

My reponse was toward the power difference not towards analysing power curves
(someone patient enough would recognise that instead of bashing, don't you think?)

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 08-20-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

don`t know wich or where the magazine is .... but maybe it was HOT ROD magazine they did a comparison on the same engine on the same dyno with a roots , cinterfugal and a turbo at the same boost

lower rpm mid rpm high rpm

roots Best falling Worst

centerfugal 2nd Best 2nd

turbo Not Working Rising Best

don`t remember the turbo numbers just remember it was the best at the end and at the important to me higher rpms

Turbo for the win at the streets no rotating robbing power

I don`t feel like looking at all the magazines I have ....
Old 08-20-2009, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bader-X
don`t know wich or where the magazine is .... but maybe it was HOT ROD magazine they did a comparison on the same engine on the same dyno with a roots , cinterfugal and a turbo at the same boost

lower rpm mid rpm high rpm

roots Best falling Worst

centerfugal 2nd Best 2nd

turbo Not Working Rising Best

don`t remember the turbo numbers just remember it was the best at the end and at the important to me higher rpms

I don`t feel like looking at all the magazines I have ....
I ended up finding the article that you are referring to and that I recall. Here is a PDF link: http://www.kennebell.net/media/artic...TBASHpart2.pdf

It was a Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford Article (dont know the year), but it did a great job of illustrating what I'm looking to demontrate. Thanks to all that tried to help with my request.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

it wasn`t this article it was on eof these three Hot Rod , Popular Hot Rodding or Chevy high performance {---not sure of the name

but that`s some reading to do later on ^_^ thanks for the link
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bader-X
Yeah Bader, I know Kuwaitis are Turbo freaks

I agree with you but what i do not like about them here is the amount of heat they generate. I found that Centrifugal is the friendliest (and can make equal power in a properly setup combo)
CFS are much much more reliable in our environment (sand, dust and heat)

Not to mention they can be taken off a lot quicker for the Popo inspection upon registration renewal
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL! loved also the running with one nose hole open comment about the one who asked to do a stroker with stock heads although I prefer a cammed stroker stock heads over a good heads cam car

if the car is inspected eaither try to redister it without taking it or have someone from there to pass it .... or replace with a rented stock engine from the junkyard just for that and later back hehehe

if money isn`t a problem then turbo .... money and hassle wise the near highest boost you can do on the fuel octane you can afford regularly centrifugal supercharger
Old 08-22-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Last year they made me put back my original muffler on (although I've been running 7 years without one), but the idiot failed to say anything about the cutout or the nitrous plate
you should have seen his face when he was looking for the battery

You have to physicaly go and register here.
I've seen one guy fail because he changed his exhaust tips.
They just do not have any clue.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

hahaha on the battery .... baucause of tips? @@ jaw drop

here you have to go physically also but if you know someone that knows someone well you know ..... NEW REGISTRATION DELIVERED TO HOME FTW !
Old 08-22-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ya I know "Wasta"

Search this Thread