Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

FOLLOW UP....AFR 215 "Bullet" Track Day!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOLLOW UP....AFR 215 "Bullet" Track Day!!

Well, I finally decided (and was able to make time) to take the new motor to the track. RPM Transmissions rents Muncie Dragway (Muncie, IN) every year for a Customer Appreciation Day. RPM is a bunch of super great guys and if you are ever in need of a tranny or diff, I highly suggest getting in touch with them. They build some killer stuff.

I drove there and met up with a few of my friends and we all ended up having an awesome day. I have been curious to see what the car can trap with the new motor and AFR 215 heads (hoping it backed up the engine and chassis dyno results), and this was a great opportunity to find out. I wasn’t at all interested in ET for a few reasons – First, I cant come off the line worth a crap. I have only been down the ¼ mile a handful of times in my entire life (I really prefer road racing) and I have no clue how to properly launch the car and maximixe traction getting out of the hole. Secondly, if I did know how it wouldn't have mattered because I rolled to the track on my street radials (Nitto INVO’s), so there would be no way to get any reasonable hook or traction anyway. Third, I have no desire to launch the car hard in search of a lower ET and risk dumping the diff or trans all over the track (the car was built as a street driven weekend warrior and not a drag racer). I promised myself I would be driving this car home LOL!.

As a refresher, this is the motor meticulously built and optimized by Tony Mamo personally to showcase the new AFR 215 LS offering.

Details of the build can be seen here… https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-215-r-d.html

Dont forget, my car is a street driven weekend warrior, with drivability and low rpm performance as the focus of the build. The engine made 618HP on Westech’s engine dyno and the car made 540RWHP on Mike Norris’s dyno (known to be a bit on the stingy side). Now it was time to see what it did at the track.

Some quick specifics of the car:

2002 Z06
ARH 1.875 headers, no cats, GHL cat back
RPS twin disk carbon lite clutch/flywheel
RPM Level IV tranny (MN12)
DTE Stage II diff w/3.90’s
iForged 18x9/19x11 wheel combo (not exactly light weight)
Nitto INVO tires set at 34psi
Full interior with sub/amp box installed busting out Sammy Hager’s “I cant drive 55!” LOL!

I drove the car up there and straight onto the track. No prep, just made sure the lug nuts were tight and the oil level was good and the tire pressures were good (34psi). Didn’t even do a burnout in the burnout box. I ran with slightly more than a ½ tank of 93 octane pump gas in the car. Essentially I hit the track exactly how I would run down my favorite stretch of deserted road in the middle of the night!

Knowing how easily the new engine blows the tires away in the lower two gears I rolled out real easy and found myself short shifting into 2nd gear due to poor traction/wheelspin off the line and also ended up was short shifting the 2-3 shift due to some pretty bad wheel hop in 2nd gear. The 1-2 shift occurred around 5000rpm, and the 2-3 shift also occurred around 5000rpm (obviously hurting how quickly the motor could recover). Car finally hooked in 3rd and I was able to ride 3rd all the way out to 6800rpm and was very clean on the 3-4 shift (most likely due to the Tick master cylinder and RPS clutch).

The car performed flawlessly for the 3 runs that I made. At the end of the day I was extremely happy with the results. Best MPH for the day was 129.18mph. The car is simply an acceleration ANIMAL. It picks up 32mph on the back half of the track!!! That right there proves without a doubt that this thing OFFICIALLY hauls the mail!! LOL!! This car just slams you back into the seat and doesn’t give up. It pulls HARD in 4th gear all the way through the traps. I would love to see what a good driver with a set of tires could do with my car, but that will probably never happen as the car wasn’t built to ET, it was built to carry me and my wife to dinner on Saturday night with relative civility – and it does just that very well.

As a side note, my previous motor was a 402 with ETP LS7 style heads that had killer flow numbers above .400 lift and an LS7 intake, so I was “used” to my car with a decent amount of power. A lot of money went into that build and it was no slouch, but sadly it simply fell short of what I wanted. And what I wanted was something that had a lot of low end pep. My previous motor was an absolute DOG below 3500rpms. My previous motor was the perfect example of bigger is NOT always better. This new Mamo built special with the new AFR 215 heads simply walks that previous dog in every aspect. It has SUPER low end grunt with KILLER throttle response at any rpm, which makes this car VERY fun to drive around town, stop light to stop light, AND has some serious top end power. This engine truly provides the best of both worlds, Tony really nailed the combination.

The good stuff……………….

Vid of the 129mph pass…. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrDUF...eature=channel

Scan of the time slip……

I tried finding someone who had a weather station at the track, but was unable. But according to this website…. http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...alculator.php? …..the DA was 2245ft. Not exactly mine shaft air by any stretch of the imagination and even getting a close to sea level would leave significant room for improvement. I have to tell you I'm just stoked with these results!

Anyway, I have now provided engine dyno results, chassis dyno results and track trap speed results, which is way more information than any other 215 headed car has ever provided on the forum. And every result I have given, backs up the other results – no funny dyno results – no questionable numbers – just cold hard facts. The motor has talked the talk and walked the walk. There is no question, there is no doubt, there is no more debate. The AFR 215 heads WORK, and work VERY well – street and/or track application, you cant go wrong. Again, super special thanks goes out to Tony Mamo for not only building me one badass engine, but also for designing one badass street head.

Take the blue pill and get Mamofied!!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Killer MPH. Get some tires and let a friend drive it!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So. . . 2.2x . . . . no traction ehh? Likewise w/the 1/8 time...
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice with better launch the car will be in low 11s high 10s for sure.

Any pics of the car? I wanna see those IForged on EB
Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

130mph car? Who gives a hoot what it dynos at, that car performs!! Good job on the build! I've been subscribed to your original build thread. I really had no doubt that this motor was going to rock, it was in good hands.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Very nice with better launch the car will be in low 11s high 10s for sure.

Any pics of the car? I wanna see those IForged on EB
Thanks! Clickable link for full size pic........................

Old 10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any idea what the car weighs?

x2 on MPH being better than a dyno sheet.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssmith512
Thanks! Clickable link for full size pic........................

Nice looking car I love the spoiler too but only because I have the same one

What headlights are those?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buzz12586
Any idea what the car weighs?
Weighed earlier in the year (but exactly in the same condition it hit the track) on a 4 corner scale system it weighed 3149lbs with a half a tank of gas in it. I was not in the car when it was weighed. I weigh about 155lbs, so the car was right around 3300lbs when it went down the track.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by venom ws7
Nice looking car I love the spoiler too but only because I have the same one

What headlights are those?
Thanks! Headlights are some from a user on the corvetteforum. He was making them and selling them last year. Dont know if he still is doing it. Username "TheRadioFlyer97".
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would love to see what it will do on some good ol fasshion slicks.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:27 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 AM
LS6
TECH Regular

All I can say is WOW
Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
10 Second Club

Get a drag pack on that car and you'll see mid to high tens easily.
129 mph on street tires is awesome!

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very glad to see some track results STEVE !!! I know exactly what you were dealing with on traction, but I was using Nitto Drag radials. NO TRACTION. Just a small word of advice, the day you do hook you will probably brake. I certainly don't want to read about you going through what I did. Broken output shaft which grenaded the diff when it let go.

32 mph on the back end is huge! Its truly indicative of short shifting and/or no traction. As previously stated traction or getting traction is a bitch. Your results truly proved the potential of the combo. Thanks for posting up and sharing. Great job !!!

I may have missed it but what was the DA ? BTW great run on street tires !
Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was looking at some of my old slips with +2200ish DA and we would be one hell of a close run. Race would definately be determined in the first 60 ft most likely. BTW the night I broke, I had a killer burnout and cut a 1.71 60 time. I think that was as hard a launch my poor stock output shaft could handle. Currently run a G Force hardened output shaft. What are you running STEVE ? Do you plan on going back with some DR's ? If so please remember what happened to me if you don't have a hardened output in your trans. Best of luck and enjoy. Thanks again for the awesome results.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
32 mph on the back end is huge! Its truly indicative of short shifting and/or no traction.
Ya agreed 32mph is huge. Obviously though with even slightly better traction and being able to run out 1st and 2nd gear, the car probably would have trapped higher than 129 (maybe closer to 131??), as it would have been accelerating for a longer portion of the track.

I may have missed it but what was the DA ?
As stated, the DA was 2245ft. Terrible terrible air for making power, and it STILL trapped 129 ON STREET TIRES. Did Tony build a bad *** motor and design some killer heads or what?!?!?

I was looking at some of my old slips with +2200ish DA and we would be one hell of a close run.
I don’t know if it would be close at all, seeing how your car, based on your own posts, has only trapped 126.xxmph at best, in better air (sub 1000ft DA???). My 129mph trap speed simply validates my 540rwhp dyno graph. No happy dyno numbers here.

All thanks and compliments go to Tony for building the motor. I just push on the gas pedal and report the findings.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don’t know if it would be close at all, seeing how your car, based on your own posts, has only trapped 126.xxmph at best, in better air (sub 1000ft DA???). My 129mph trap speed simply validates my 540rwhp dyno graph. No happy dyno numbers here.

All thanks and compliments go to Tony for building the motor. I just push on the gas pedal and report the findings.[/QUOTE]

Gotta correct one thing Steve. You are quoting the god gift air which was in neg da the night I broke and never found out what she did in clean air. My 126.72 mph run was in slightly worse air in yours, and I did let out before crossing the line as i had already been warned for running 11.70 and 11.6x. Milan sucks when the wrong person is deciding who can run and can't.

You are correct about Tony building a great motor. Your Trap does indeed show the potential. Put a tire on and lets see, but I would advise now as I have experienced even with good parts this kind of power does tend to break things.

Your trap is amazing but get that 60 time down. You'd be surprised what a .5 second headstart does for ya. I sure wish I didn't break on that 1.71 60 time.

All water under the bridge Steve. Glad to see that you posted some track results. THats all i got in my pm box after leaving vengeance. Post some track results. All I proved is I can't drive lol.

Did you get a chance to do any road course racing yet? Your mn12 gearing in the zo6 tranny should help her cut some serious lap times. Also helps at the quarter mile too. I will cross my fingers you don't go through all the breaks I did. Gets expensive. Enjoy

Doug aka allngn_c5
Old 10-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug,

Did you hire a "Life coach" or take some happy pills lately or what?

Btw, you might want to properly get Steve's input highlighted/shaded in "Quote" form (in your above post) just to make it easier to read....take a look and you will see what I'm talking about.

Anyway....if you want to put all the naysayers to bed you need to go run that big trap speed because most of the sharper guys know that trap speed is the validation of horsepower....or horsepower to weight ratio to be more specific. Dyno numbers and excuses all hit the curb when you finally get your car staring down the X-mas tree and the half a mile of asphalt in front of you.

I was thrilled (but not surprised) to hear Steve's Vette ran almost 130 MPH slipping and sliding all over the track on 19" street rubber bands. If I drove the car that day with some ET Street (even the ET Street radials) it would have crossed the beams at 131+ for sure....might have got it close to 132. The reason Steve's back half is retarded (a 32 MPH gain) is because he wasted so much time trying to get the power to the ground in the front half essentially pedaling and short shifting wasting precious track and time (hurting ET but more importantly terminal velocity).

My 383 trapped 129-130 (generating 540 RWHP) @ 1400 - 1700 positive D/A or so and Steve's engine made a little more peak power and had significantly more "under the curve" power hence the potential to see low 130's in "OK" air and creeping closer to mid 130's with sticky tires and really good air (negative D/A). Steve's engine while only making 8-10 more peak HP had much higher gains than that in average power when you examine the dyno plots (versus my former 83').

If I were you I would forget about trying to ET the car....it will never run a great ET anyway unless you really get aggressive with bias ply slicks and start getting those 60 foots down in the 1.4 - 1.5 range. Next time the air is good and you have a few hours to kill hit the track and ease that baby out of the hole and shift your azz off looking for the big MPH. The fact you may run a 2.0 - 2.2 sixty foot wont effect the trap speed one bit....only your ET and that's a fact.

Would like to see both of you guys get back to the track with the cooler months ahead....Steve needs to get some sticky tires and you need to forget about ET so your not so worried about trashing driveline parts!

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 10-13-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
The reason Steve's back half is retarded

-Tony
That made me laugh my *** off.

Quick Reply: FOLLOW UP....AFR 215 "Bullet" Track Day!!