Those of you who know me better than most also know how busy I have been the last six months ago helping various individuals with unique projects, some of which are now starting to see the light of day (and being discussed in various other build/dyno threads). Unfortunately my recent "afterhours" workload has back-burnered my own personal project....again....LOL (the 454 I'm building for my C5), but that just goes with the territory.
Anyway, the owner of the beautiful truck below gave me the green-light to post on his behalf and one of the unique factors I like here is that he has documented lots of the progress of his truck build in steps which show the value of all the mods in question alot more clearly.
Here is a picture of his 2006 GMC Sierra VMAX 2wd....its pretty sharp looking!
Lets talk about the baseline of the truck.....unfortunately Brandon (the owner) never dyno tested the truck bone stock but with these mods: 2006 GMC VMAX 2WD 6.0 LQ9, 3/4 Drop, 4.56 Gears, 33" Tire, Zippy Shift Kit, Billet Servos, Dynatech LT Headers, No Cats, Magnaflow Cat-Back, K&N CAI
It produced the power curves seen below thru heavy wheels, 4.56 gears, and an automatic transmission with the stock converter (the converter was locked for this and all future testing btw).
He then added the following:
3000 Stall, Custom Cam - 235/239 .621/.624 112 +3, Custom Tune.
I would note the cam choice is (IMO) aggressive for a 6.0 truck at 2+ tons, but this vehicle is more a toy than a daily hauler and he was thrilled with the top end results. You cant argue with them thats for sure but I might have tried to talk him into something a hair less aggressive (he purchased the cam and had it installed just prior to contacting me inquiring about a ported 102 FAST LSXRT manifold).
Here are the results of the new converter, the new cam, and a tune to take advantage of both:
The LS engine really responds to cam swaps.....they are unquestionably the biggest bang for the buck in a normally aspirated LS street/strip engine. So it was just shortly after the cam install that Brandon reached out to me for the first time inquiring about the virtues of one of my ported FAST 102 truck intakes. I assured him it would make a sizable difference and Brandon quickly jumped at the chance to try it in an effort to improve and fatten his impressive results from the cam swap.
He also installed at the same time a new 102 TB, a custom CAI to hook up to the larger TB, and larger (42#) injectors.
Here is a pic of that new set-up on the dyno and ready to make some noise!
And the results from the ported FAST 102/102 install which are even more impressive when you consider that this truck still had the stock LQ9 heads and a good intake will always look better when its placed in front of a really good set of heads (thats when the stock intakes represent the largest restrictions allowing the better manifolds to shine when you do the swap). We were both thrilled with the results and the area under the curve gains were really strong also!
Of course when is "enough" ever really enough....weeks later I get the call from Brandon inquiring what he thought an aftermarket set of heads might be worth.....you guys can figure out how the rest of the conversation went.....LOL. Brandon isnt a guy to skimp so after couple of discussions and an email or three he took the plunge on a "Mamofied" set of AFR 230's in addition to the following upgrades and components which I provided for him:
Hollow stem 2.080 Intake Valves
Cometic .040 Head Gasket
Comp Short Travel Lifters
Manton 11/32 Custom Length Pushrods
Yella Terra Ultralight Shaftrockers
Heads milled to 61 cc's for a final CR of 11.3 to 1
A couple of pics of the heads I did for him and a shot of them being installed
And ultimately the final results which would be pretty impressive in a car, never mind a power robbing truck driveline with huge 33" tall extremely heavy tires! The heads really woke up the combination, fattening an already fat curve even more helping to tie all the previous mods together. Guys, look at the torque increase after 5500 RPM's or so.....50+ RWHP and 50+ ft/lbs of torque! I sandbagged a bit when I told Brandon what the head swap might be worth but these results even surprised me a little....needless to say he was pleased.
Obviously a shout out has to go out to all the guys at Modern Muscle who did a great job handling most (or possibly all) of the install labor and various tunes along the way to optimize each combo as it kept increasing in efficiency, not to mention Brandon himself who has been as patient as a saint and still hasn't gotten a chance to experience it with the new heads yet but will do so shortly.
Now I don't know if Brandon had planned on it, but Im going to encourage him to get this truck to a dragstrip just for fun and see what its capable off. It has the power of a really stout stroker engine with his bone stock 6.0 liter shortblock....
The devil is in the details guys (and of course selecting the right components) and the results of this build clearly show that!
PS....If you want some additional details, a few more pics, etc. and are interested in seeing the original thread that Brandon himself started on another message board (SilveradoSS.com), click here http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/to...-build-thread/
I just tried to keep this thread on point and share most of the technical data that you guys crave more easily seen in a progressive type build.