Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Track vs Dyno

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Track vs Dyno

So I'm really curious why almost everyone on here says dyno numbers don't matter -- E/T's are the real test. Now I'm not going to try to argue that dynos are the perfect test because they have their inconsistencies between mustang dynos and dynojets, we all know that but I just don't see how comparing track times is more accurate?!?! Driver error, elevation, traction, there are lots of things that can come into play there.

Anyone care to give any opinions either way?

Last edited by maxpower_454; 06-14-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You are correct ET will show a lot of variables...but the MPH at the track ran through a DA calculator to correct for weather is more consistent.

Dynos are calibrated tools and every shop has a "heartbreaker" and "it reads 15% low here" when they're set up properly and the ones who don't have a "low" dyno have the happy button turned up so people think they have a factory freak bolt on car making 370rwhp.

There's a reason a 340rwhp car will often trap the same as a "freak" 370rwhp car at the same track on the same day and it's not because they are both really making 370rwhp.

I have seen my car swing from 368rwhp to 349rwhp on the same dyno, just different days. The kicker is that the 349rwhp was with more mods (larger exhaust, underdrive pulley, good dyno tune).

Search this Thread