Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Afr on dyno sheet

Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afr on dyno sheet

Should I have I received a graph of my AFR on my Dyno tune sheet?
I have always had it on my dyno sheets before and I have had at least 15 dyno tunes before. This was a brand new engine from oil pan to valley cover.

I am a little disappointed with this because it didnt put down the numbers I thought it should ( but do they ever?) and its a handful to drive in town and at cruise. Sad thing is this engine was put together and tuned by a huge sponsor here on LS1 Tech and they are great to deal with when ordering parts and customer service but haven't gotten much communication from them when I have contacted them about drivability. before you bash me about having a performance engine for the street this cam was speced by Patrick G and built by EPS for 95% street use and Patrick and Geoff both have told me this is one of the easiest cams to tune.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Home town Clive,IA current town FORT BENNING GEORGIA

you are never going to have perfect driveability doing a dyno only tune. a wideband street tune would be more beneficial for you since you are actually going to be driving your car and not just going for max HP/TQ for the 1/4
Old 07-16-2012, 04:12 AM
TECH Regular

I agree with mighty mike u need someone to ride along and street tune while u drive
Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

sorry didn't put in original post, They have attempted two street tunes and the tuner drove car home and to work two days to try to straighten it out, and then a second time with me on the streets and highway for two hours on a sunday. Car runs hard but would like to be able to drive it in town or be able to cruise on the highway under 70 in sixth gear without chuging just frustrated I guess.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mightymike2000ss
you are never going to have perfect driveability doing a dyno only tune. a wideband street tune would be more beneficial for you since you are actually going to be driving your car and not just going for max HP/TQ for the 1/4
Completely disagree.

Using a Loaded dyno and dyno tuning using STEADY STATE will give you a better tune than the street, always!
Reason being is you will always have wall fill and transients while on the street. Pretty much impossible to hold a steady load on the street and gather "GOOD" solid values for each cell in the tables due to user variances, road slopes etc.
Steady state dynos have eddy brakes that allow the vehicle to go any set speed no matter what the engine load.
For example, set the dyno for 40mph. It will hold the car at this speed for any pedal % position, right to full load.
This allows to hit every cell and gather PERFECT values for a better, crisper throttle tune you could ever get on the street.
Greg Banish talks about this lots in both his books and dvds.

You should know that a dyno does a lot more than Max hp/tq for 1/4 mile (which a dyno can do as well)
Read up on Steady state tuning.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kirbyman03
sorry didn't put in original post, They have attempted two street tunes and the tuner drove car home and to work two days to try to straighten it out, and then a second time with me on the streets and highway for two hours on a sunday. Car runs hard but would like to be able to drive it in town or be able to cruise on the highway under 70 in sixth gear without chuging just frustrated I guess.
You could try a new tuner, that has a dyno capable of steady state... (the operator needs to know how to tune in this matter however)
Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it back to them and have them tune it for driveability. There is no reason they should have let it leave the shop without good street manners.

Search this Thread