Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

tuning strategy differences? eddy current dyno vs inertia dyno

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tuning strategy differences? eddy current dyno vs inertia dyno

Searched every term I could think of and came up with nothing. I've been reading Greg Banish's books to get a handle on things before I start playing with my hptuners. I obviously won't be tuning on a dyno but I'm curious now about different strategies to tune on the two.

I understand the benefit of steady state testing with an eddy current dyno, especially for VE modeling and spark hook tests. But it seems like most dyno tuning I see is done on inertia dynos. Greg's books are written for steady state tuning, and I saw no real mention of tuning on an inertia dyno.

Is it really that beneficial to use an EC dyno, or is this one of the cases where practical application can overcome theory? Can a good tuner produce just as good of a tune on either?

Without being able to hold steady in one cell of a VE map, how do you map VE on an inertia dyno?

without being able to hold a steady rpm you couldn't do a spark hook test. Would you just adjust spark around a given rpm and make multiple pulls to try to find MBT at that rpm?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Anybody?

Mainly curious how you would map VE and find MBT at a specific rpm on an inertia dyno.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by t_raven
Anybody?

Mainly curious how you would map VE and find MBT at a specific rpm on an inertia dyno.
Interesting questions, you might get an answer in the tuning forum. I think this forum is primarily for results.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Interesting questions, you might get an answer in the tuning forum. I think this forum is primarily for results.
Ah, good point
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Post this in the PCM Diagnostics really good questions that I would like to know the answers to.

Quick Reply: tuning strategy differences? eddy current dyno vs inertia dyno