Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Post up pictures of your Chassis Dyno Room with specs..

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Post up pictures of your Chassis Dyno Room with specs..

What chassis dyno are you using in your shop?
Pros and cons of your dyno?
In-ground or above ground w/ a 4 post lift? Why?
What equipment and accessories do you use?
Room ventilation... Fans, exhaust escapes, ect..
What kind of monitor are you using to view dyno sheets/info? Wall mount TV, computer monitor, ect..

Basically I'd like to see everyones set up. How is your room set up around your dyno and what do you like/dislike about it. I've seen some cool ideas and pictures floating around but not many on this site. Lets see some of your pictures..
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its all about functionality of the space you are in
it doesnt have to look pretty

we use a Mustang Dyno MD-1750
in ground.....the benefit being that we can park any vehicle there at any time and dont have a wasted space that can only be used for the dyno.

we have three tie down locations to the rear of the car, and two in front
plus we have a center tie down bar that is positioned between the rollers so that we can anchor a rearend directly downwards as hard as needed on a high horsepower car
(when you dyno a 2500 hp car, it tends to not work that great with only 2 straps at the rear..you need some extra directly downward force..LOL)

ours is just positioned at one end of the shop....
we open a slide up door to vent to the outside.....
the door faces a big sugar cane field...so no worries about noise bothering neighbors..LOL

we use a 42" tv on the wall outside of the office, and theres a 37" tv inside the office where the dyno computer is, along with a couch, a fridge, and air conditioning for customer comfort

Wireless keyboard and mouse to be able to do stuff from in the car

handfull of normal cables coming from the dyno computer, thru the wall, and over to the car
we hang stuff on hooks on the wall when not in use.

theres a workbench along the far wall that we keep lots of testing equipment and tools on that we routinely need on the dyno - a selection of wrenches and sockets, a timing light, a few noid lighhts, a spark plug tester, tools for compression testing and leakdown tests, a borescope, a few adapters for various vacuum lines and AN fittings, and a selection of wiring tools and connectors.

hell, our shop air compressor is in the corner behind the dyno.....along with our main 3 phase electrical box and our box for the multiple 4 ton Shop AC units

this is the only picture I really have online right now... honestly, we really dont take a lot of pictures of cars on the dyno...its kind of pointless when they all look the same..LOL

Old 07-24-2014, 09:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by soundengineer
its all about functionality of the space you are in
it doesnt have to look pretty
This is exactly why I started this thread. I'd like to get an idea of how you guys position everything in the space you use. When I build a room, I'd like it to be as efficient as possible. Any more pictures you have of the space (preferably without a car on the dyno), I'd be interested to see. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
8 Second Club

we have a car sitting on the dyno right now ready to star in on it tomorrow....
so it might be a few days till I have an empty space...
I'll try to get some pictures the next time its open.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Sounds good. The spot I have been thinking about using is only 14' or so wide. So if I turn that space into a dyno room, it needs to be very efficient.

Quite a pit you have to dig for the 1750.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try digging a pit for a dynojet 424xlc

Not my dyno, but my friends shop/shop I use. Garage 808
DynoJet 424 XLc-1 with Linx
Pros - awd mechanically linked drums to protect center differentials, load control, hydraulically adjustable wheelbase, in ground, in its own room, has a viewing area, etc
4 tie down points in rear and 4 in front.
Cons - giant pit to dig/build, on ground to strap cars down etc.
Using a swamp cooler, and or floor drying fans, open bay door for ventilation. 37" wall mount flat screen for customer viewing of dyno sheets/run info. 2 couches and 6 bar stools to sit in. Soon to be up and running with an overhead projector in the dyno room for the operator.

During the build

The customer viewing room
Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 AM
Teching In

We have an above ground MD-800 chassis unit in conjunction with a 4 post lift which makes life really easy to secure each vehicle. We use a 42" television with wireless controls to run everything from the car. We have exhuast ventilation system through the roof and a 48" fan to keep things cool up front.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is portable or portable as a 3000lb roller & PAU can be. Set up it is approx. 1.5' off the ground which let's you deal with WB's & such. Minor gremlins are easily dealt with being off the ground.

We have a forklift so it is quick & easy to set up approx. .5 hour.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 PM
8 Second Club

Finally had some time without a car on the dyno..so I snapped a few pictures

and like I said... we get a lot of use out of this dyno....

Please Excuse the mess...

Old 09-18-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Lets keep this thread rolling. I like the pics and seeing how all of you set everything up. I was planning on having a front mount tv or projector set up but I didn't think about the hood being up and no being able to see in front of you.

Any more set ups?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fat Jesus 808
The customer viewing room
I'm really liking this! Alot of dynoshops dont want you in there while they tuning. But alot of owners want to video and see their dyno. So this allows the tuner space to do his thing and the customer can still see results from the big screen. This is the best setup I've seen so far!
Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive seen tons of dyno rooms / dyno's and that one above is AWESOME. One HUGE recommendation would be not let people behind the car wile dynoing or atleast something that you can put up behind the car that's about 2 feet tall.... seen nails, or pebbles stuck in a tire go FLYING out like a rocket . Only seen one injury and it was a nail to the calf but was just a flesh wound
Old 09-20-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I'm digging the garage 808s' setup ALOT !
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya. On the old 2wd dyno we had a nail fly off and go through a 4x8 window. A lot of thought went into this setup after we had the 2wd in a hard to access spot.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
What chassis dyno are you using in your shop?
Pros and cons of your dyno?
In-ground or above ground w/ a 4 post lift? Why?
What equipment and accessories do you use?
Room ventilation... Fans, exhaust escapes, ect..
What kind of monitor are you using to view dyno sheets/info? Wall mount TV, computer monitor, ect..

Basically I'd like to see everyones set up. How is your room set up around your dyno and what do you like/dislike about it. I've seen some cool ideas and pictures floating around but not many on this site. Lets see some of your pictures..
We built an addition to our shop for the dyno, it is really nice to have it in it's own room. Cuts down on noise and fumes for the technicians, and lets us run AC or heat year round to keep them comfortable. Also much safer!

Here is the room before the dyno was installed. We have a huge fan that works excellent. Too good almost, in the fall it sucks all the leaves from the parking lot inside It does a great job keeping the air fresh and it never smells like exhaust inside.

Our dyno is a Dynojet 224 XLC with a four post lift. In my opinion the four post lift is so worth it if you have the room. It makes strapping down cars much easier, but also allows us to have a look under them before we get to the tuning, in case there are any issues. It's nice to be able to drive on quickly for small tech jobs as well.

Customers are not permitted in the shop for safety reasons, they can either watch from the garage door (we keep a chain up), and we also have a TV in the waiting room which streams live feed from the dyno as well.

here is the dyno in action!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
We built an addition to our shop for the dyno, it is really nice to have it in it's own room. Cuts down on noise and fumes for the technicians, and lets us run AC or heat year round to keep them comfortable. Also much safer!

Here is the room before the dyno was installed. We have a huge fan that works excellent. Too good almost, in the fall it sucks all the leaves from the parking lot inside It does a great job keeping the air fresh and it never smells like exhaust inside.

Our dyno is a Dynojet 224 XLC with a four post lift. In my opinion the four post lift is so worth it if you have the room. It makes strapping down cars much easier, but also allows us to have a look under them before we get to the tuning, in case there are any issues. It's nice to be able to drive on quickly for small tech jobs as well.

Customers are not permitted in the shop for safety reasons, they can either watch from the garage door (we keep a chain up), and we also have a TV in the waiting room which streams live feed from the dyno as well.
Very cool. I really like this set up and would probably go this route no question.

Quick Reply: Post up pictures of your Chassis Dyno Room with specs..