Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

383 H/C/I Results!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

Seen a LS7 SS camaro (Ryan) run 9.9s-10.0s on 28" tire at the LS fest... but okay guess it can be did with either size tire.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I don't disagree, but if the plenum volume can't keep up, it's drawing air from a vacuum. Sorta like a higher DA. In this case, I'm not saying that the engine will be limiting cylinder fill. I'm saying that the intake won't be able to fill itself as fast as the engine draws it down. Sorta like filling a bucket at 2-gpm while there's a 3-gpm hole in the bottom

Edit - put more simply, the longer stroke won't fill the intake any faster

I honestly think this is the best decision. Larger plenum, shorter runners = less likely to hold the engine back.
Are you familiar with Phoenix dyno thread? We aren't arguing about filling the intake any faster. RPM is RPM, meaning all the timing is the same regardless of whether its a 5.3 or a 427, 6000rpms still equals 100 rotations per second. But each of those rotations has the ability to draw in more air due to the longer stroke. Phoenix' issue was his exhaust port on his heads and long tubes compared to the intake port and valve overlap was overscavenging the combustion chamber and sucking fresh air right out of the chamber. That is not what is going on here.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

6000 rpm is 6000 rpm but on a longer stroke engine the Pistons are moving faster at that rpm, increasing air speed, and choking out an intake earlier than a short stroke engine would
Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Before you guys beat up on the fast intake... it's been 9.3s in the quarter at over 140 mph in naturally aspirated form on pump gas (ported 92mm) in a F body application. Car weighed over 3000 lbs also. And that was back in the day.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

If FAST won't do the short-runner for the Cathedral port, I wonder if someone like Tony Mamo who does a lot of work on this stuff anyway, couldn't get a set of runners fabbed up to fit into the manifold? Or modify the LSXRT runners?

Honestly, I don't know why someone hasn't come along and done that given the modular nature of the FAST. We could have multiple sets available... given the 3D printing capabilities, they could be done fairly cheap and with polymer. Or if you had a CNC machine, could cut them out of 6061 or something and fit them.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
6000 rpm is 6000 rpm but on a longer stroke engine the Pistons are moving faster at that rpm, increasing air speed, and choking out an intake earlier than a short stroke engine would
I would like to see a log of the car showing MAP dropping dramatically during a pull, until then I'm not convinced that it is choking out unless hes revving high. I'm not arguing it would pick up power with a larger intake, I'm arguing scavenging is not an issue with the larger headers and lower overlap than Phoenix had.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
If FAST won't do the short-runner for the Cathedral port, I wonder if someone like Tony Mamo who does a lot of work on this stuff anyway, couldn't get a set of runners fabbed up to fit into the manifold? Or modify the LSXRT runners?

Honestly, I don't know why someone hasn't come along and done that given the modular nature of the FAST. We could have multiple sets available... given the 3D printing capabilities, they could be done fairly cheap and with polymer. Or if you had a CNC machine, could cut them out of 6061 or something and fit them.
3d printing would be the way to go.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen a modified runner on a fast 102 before they were available. Guy with a C6Z did it. It worked out pretty good.Wasn't too hard either.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ces-639wh.html
Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If he did I'm sure they would cost more than the entire intake does
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by blk00ss
If he did I'm sure they would cost more than the entire intake does
The truth!!
Old 03-23-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
The 2" headers would be nice. I just don't like the fitment issues that come. Cutting up the K-member. The 1 7/8 should do ok. For now lol.

Darth. The intake swap you did, between the fast & msd, was really cool to see. Honestly I still liked the fast better. Made more tq/hp everywhere up to about 6200-6400? The msd is better high rpm.

I've been keeping an eye on the manifold vacuum on wot runs. Between say 4000-6100 rpm the vacuum is between .6 & .9 inches. Once it gets over that, 6400-7000, it gets up to just over 1.1" with flashes of 1.4". Right where the msd would do good to keep it at or under 1" at those rpm I bet.

Also I want to keep a Wilson intake on the car.
The 1-7/8 headers will still be an improvement over the current headers for torque. I enjoyed doing that comparison. I do alot of R&D for work, so it was fun to dot a smidge of it for a hobby

The thing is, when you look at the LS7 version of the MSD, it gains EVERYWHERE over the fast. I'm convinced that the shorter runners favor the longer stroke. And also, you can't use the 346 data to determine what's best for a 383. That's how people get a 383 that acts like a truck engine. They need more cam and intake to support that swept volume. Also, since the stroke is longer, the accelerative forces are higher. Without giving too much away, I deal with this in our manufacturing process. I have a machine that is limited by acceleration, so I have to design stroke and frequency within that parameter. With the longer stroke, you reach higher accelerative forces - i.e. internal resistance - at lower angular frequency. This causes the engine to peak earlier and fall off faster. Unless you have the modifications to make enough more HP to support more RPM. Like later IVC and shorter runners. Maybe Wilson can design you an intake

/soapbox

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Are you familiar with Phoenix dyno thread? We aren't arguing about filling the intake any faster. RPM is RPM, meaning all the timing is the same regardless of whether its a 5.3 or a 427, 6000rpms still equals 100 rotations per second. But each of those rotations has the ability to draw in more air due to the longer stroke. Phoenix' issue was his exhaust port on his heads and long tubes compared to the intake port and valve overlap was overscavenging the combustion chamber and sucking fresh air right out of the chamber. That is not what is going on here.
Yes I am, but that is only part of what I'm trying to say. And if we're not arguing about filling the intake faster, we're not talking about the same thing, because that's exactly what I'm talking about. I would argue that my heads have extremely high flowing exhaust ports (possibly more so than his), I still run 11 degrees overlap AFTER the motor has warmed up (17 cold), 1-7/8 headers, and a 3" dual with X pipe.

The definition of overscavenging is drawing more air into the cylinder than the intake can draw in through the throttle. Once the intake is starting to pull a vacuum at WOT, power WILL fall off, because your g/cyl starts to decline even faster due to lower pressure differential between plenum and cylinder. SoFLa not getting much of a WOT vacuum, but when he moves to larger headers, and that cylinder fill jumpstarts better, don't be surprised if the WOT vacuum gets worse. The ONLY cure for that is a larger plenum. This is why the ITB arrangement is so good for power. The entire atmosphere IS the plenum.

Originally Posted by big hammer
Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Before you guys beat up on the fast intake... it's been 9.3s in the quarter at over 140 mph in naturally aspirated form on pump gas (ported 92mm) in a F body application. Car weighed over 3000 lbs also. And that was back in the day.
Not beating up the intake at all. It's a great intake, but let me flip it around. What if the same car ran the 102 instead of the 92? or the MSD (properly ported, since it sucks in as-built trim)? At least for my part, all I'm saying is that a larger plenum shorter runner intake would benefit the OP. And it's up to the OP to decide what he wants to do. And as long as he's happy, it doesn't matter.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think chrs1313 was thinking about making some up
Old 03-23-2017, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

In all due respect I disagree. I have my reasons of corse. Look at the guys running 10s on motor or faster with T56 tranmissions . They all are running a stiff wall 28" slick.... Maybe the weaker/slower cars on in the shorter tire. I damn near got every issue of gmhtp. If you have them... Look at the 10 sec cars featured and see what size slick they running
real life testing on my own says different. If you going to run a 28"slick you better have 4.56 gears at least.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I think a MSD would be better than a FAST 102 on his car
Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
real life testing on my own says different. If you going to run a 28"slick you better have 4.56 gears at least.
Look at the 10 second club section.... hell its a full weight SS camaro just reaped 136 mph trapping with a 10.0 pass on 28' Hoosiers with 4.10 gears

Last edited by Tuskyz28; 03-24-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember seeing this sometime back and hoped that FAST would make a shorter runner for the other LSX heads: Ls7 and Ls2 style heads guy said the hell with it and did his own.

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...2-runners.html

Pictures no longer show up. 1st 4 pictures from goggle images are from the same thread.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Maki...w=1013&bih=582
Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
3d printing would be the way to go.
Got a STL file? I've got access to a decent 3D printer. To do an entire intake would require it being in multiple pieces, but a running should be able to be done in 1 shot.

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Yes I am, but that is only part of what I'm trying to say. And if we're not arguing about filling the intake faster, we're not talking about the same thing, because that's exactly what I'm talking about. I would argue that my heads have extremely high flowing exhaust ports (possibly more so than his), I still run 11 degrees overlap AFTER the motor has warmed up (17 cold), 1-7/8 headers, and a 3" dual with X pipe.

The definition of overscavenging is drawing more air into the cylinder than the intake can draw in through the throttle. Once the intake is starting to pull a vacuum at WOT, power WILL fall off, because your g/cyl starts to decline even faster due to lower pressure differential between plenum and cylinder. SoFLa not getting much of a WOT vacuum, but when he moves to larger headers, and that cylinder fill jumpstarts better, don't be surprised if the WOT vacuum gets worse. The ONLY cure for that is a larger plenum. This is why the ITB arrangement is so good for power. The entire atmosphere IS the plenum.
Agreed, we're not talking about the same thing. I was explicitly talking about the difference between OP's setup and Phoenix in that Phoenix's setup was overscavenging, which my definition of is that there is a lower area of pressure in the exhaust vs. the CC and there is enough overlap, that the fresh air mixture that entered the chamber on the intake stroke was moved directly into the exhaust instead of staying in the CC.

Look at the 10 second club section.... hell its a full weight SS camaro just reaped 136 mph trapping with a 10.0 pass on 28' Hoosiers with 4.10 gears
My TA couldn't hook to save its life on a 26" tall tire at 600+rwhp, went to a 28" tire and went mid 10's lol.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Spider- I'm not surprised at all. 600 rwhp is alot
Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I don't have anything like that sniper. I used to have access to a Pharoah arm but not anymore. Probably outdated tech these days anyway.

Quick Reply: 383 H/C/I Results!!