Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Ls7 Fast 102 vs MSD airforce comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 03:29 PM
TFP
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
We have a real issue with the maturity level on this site. It comes from the average age of the owners going down over time. But, don't think this doesn't happen on other sites. Go to corvette forums, same thing, GTR forums, the same thing. I think the younger generation has "grown up" interacting with people online, so they haven't developed the tact of having a conversation.
There is also a problem with the widespread acceptance of ignorance. You may have a point, but if someone is right, does it matter how they say it?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan23
I'd be interested to see if some simple port matching would make a difference. Unfortunately, I'm a bad test subject for this as I'm coming from a stock LS7 intake, not a Fast. It's looking like this intake may clear my hood after all with this new subframe (Mazda RX7). I can't be 100% certain, as Greg Good has my heads at the moment. Mocked up & sitting on the valley cover tho', the front of the MSD clears by about 3/8".... plenty of room in the back.

I have no idea how this looks with the lid off in regards to port alignment. I plan on touching it up, if it needs it, prior to heading back to the dyno. HioSSilver and I were talking offline about possibly dyno'ing ours back to back to see where they fall out. His LSXR has been Mamo ported. Might make for an interesting comparison. I'm fairly certain neither of us are expecting to see huge differences between the two given the limitations of the packaging.

Ryan
Yea man let me know when you get your stuff back. I'm down for that.

There is some choices for intakes now......that's a good thing for us!!
Old 04-11-2015, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Default Not surprised....

Guys,

I don't have alot of time now but wanted to quickly throw my opinion in the ring here. First off its awesome Ryne took the time to do this test and do his best to keep all the variables to a minimum. That always adds time and can be challenging trying to achieve copy cat runs with only a parts swap.

Let's talk about the results....the largest problem I see with them is the simple fact MSD may have inadvertently overstated potential gains and led people to believe they created the magic intake manifold that was going to be 30+ better than a FAST. Having spent possibly more time than anyone on the planet with my head up all the various FAST intake designs, I can tell you that the LS7 design is pretty good.....in fact its very good only second IMO to their LSXRT design (the huge "truck" intake).

In fact barring a design that would NOT fit under a cowl of a Vette or FBody etc., my opinion was there was no way the gains previously mentioned in advertising would be achievable. Not with a low port height intake and not with a manifold design that wouldnt give away alot on the bottom to get there.

Now if FAST or someone else came out with an LSXRT version of the LS7 I could believe 30 more ponies might be found with little to no loss of low/midrange power because its a straight shot from the bellmouth to the intake port and a very efficient design....the only problem being it wont fit under the hood of any production car. Those who have never seen one apart can appreciate the picture below and realize its just a very high port cross ram design....very efficient....and with the right port work bordering on intake manifold perfection.

Name:  2006_0201FASTTruckporting0002.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  2006_0116ScottLopezlongblock0003.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  126.6 KB

On the bright side.....I feel the results posted by the MSD intake within the confines of a manifold forced to fit under the cowl of most production cars is/was very impressive. An 8-10 HP increase with very modest losses in the bottom of the curve is something to be happy about. Its actually quite the achievement because IMO the FAST LS7 is a well designed piece so you don't have a whole lot of room left if your dealing with an intake that's just as user friendly.

Had they advertised say "12 HP better than the leading competitor" and landed exactly where they did in this test (slightly shy of that), it would have been hailed a home run IMO.....expectations were simply too high and the results were almost a given to disappoint.

Im keeping my eye on the upcoming Vararam design....while Im not a big fan (aesthetically) of the intake manifold covering the entire engine (or so it seems), from the standpoint of functionality it looks like a very promising design and the results will certainly be interesting. Not looking for anything huge here but another solid baby step over the MSD will offer the consumers another solid choice. Maybe that forces all of them to get a little more aggressive on price.....who knows but the more players that get involved the better it is for you guys.

The medium runner FAST will also be interesting but I'm guessing the losses across the lower and middle part of the curve might put some people off....especially if the peak gains are only in line with the MSD which managed to mute most of the trade offs.

Anyway.....exciting stuff....the intake manifold market for the LS performance community has been quiet for many years....its high time we have some new stuff to get excited about and help propel our performance to levels not available previously....it should help set the bar a little higher for guys like myself that want to wring all they can from their particular combination.

Will be keeping my eye out for more independent results which I expect we will be seeing soon

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

thans for the opinion tony, do you feel that the fast cathedral version and the msd cathedral version will be on the same planar difference as far as hp goes or are the designs too different? or do you think the ls7 heads or the amount of mods on here made the difference. In otherw ords would you expect these gains on a cam only ls1/2/6?
Old 04-11-2015, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what Tony can do on porting a MSD intake manifold? That would be interesting.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 01MAROONz2890
thans for the opinion tony, do you feel that the fast cathedral version and the msd cathedral version will be on the same planar difference as far as hp goes or are the designs too different? or do you think the ls7 heads or the amount of mods on here made the difference. In otherw ords would you expect these gains on a cam only ls1/2/6?
Honestly I would be talking out my you know what if I wagered an opinion at this point. Maybe the cathedral picks up more that the LS7....IMO its not as optimal out of the box (the FAST cathedral) and there may be more "room" there but who knows....its all just speculation and ultimately depends on the time they invested in the design of the MSD

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
I wonder what Tony can do on porting a MSD intake manifold? That would be interesting.
Have to get my hands on one....numerous people have inquired about my porting them....doubt it will be long before I have one on the bench!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Speaking of cowl clearance is the MSD any better than the FAST 102s? It gets tight in a C5.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Teching In

So i dont know much but i dont get why everyone seems to be so upset over 10Hp.

It always seemed to me the next step up is always 10 hp?
Ls1 to ls6 10 hp?
Ls6 to 92 10?
92 to 102 10?
102 to msd 10?

I know thats over simplifying things
Old 05-26-2015, 05:33 PM

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...nifold-at-lme/
Old 11-27-2015, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to bump an ancient thread here but has anyone tested one of these on a >650whp boosted setup? I've had mixed luck with FAST intakes on boosted setups and am on the stock ls7 right now but would consider upgrading to this MSD If there were some good gains to be had and the reliability was 100% perfect.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by neverstop
sorry to bump an ancient thread here but has anyone tested one of these on a >650whp boosted setup? I've had mixed luck with FAST intakes on boosted setups and am on the stock ls7 right now but would consider upgrading to this MSD If there were some good gains to be had and the reliability was 100% perfect.
Check out the results of one of my ported MSD's on a customers cam only C6Z....with just the swap to my ported MSD and a 102 TB, he picked up 50+ RWHP. Before you call BS also see documentation on the 4+ MPH trap speed he also picked up at a track he has 1000 time slips from!

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...d-results.html

I have ported over a half dozen of these now and its a superior design from the aspect of runner design/performance compared to the FAST.....I dont think the fit and finish is as good, and much like the FAST needs some loving with a grinder to unlock its full potential.....but properly ported, this intake just flat kicks azz!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 11-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

You mean something has worse fit and finish than the FAST? Is that possible?
Old 11-27-2015, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You mean something has worse fit and finish than the FAST? Is that possible?
Honestly the FAST 102 is a much better design than the older FAST intakes.....a landslide victory better.

With the MSD I'm literally reworking the injector tunnels when I port them in addition to the actual flow paths of the intake (probably worth some power due to a clean shot of atomized fuel). I think they could have done a better job designing the top shell gasket also....its a little "hokey" but it works. They were trying to make one gaskets do the job of nine IMO but like I said....it works.

The manifold has it where it counts....with a little loving its a killer piece like I said

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 11-27-2015, 07:59 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmm, interesting. The injector placement was one thing that I found odd, but I'm not an intake designer.

Do you think there is much to be gained on the cathedral port version?
Old 11-27-2015, 08:08 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

For the record, I've got a cathedral port version being fed 16psi onto a 416ls3 motor.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Being forcefed probably makes up for a lot of issues.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Hmmm, interesting. The injector placement was one thing that I found odd, but I'm not an intake designer.

Do you think there is much to be gained on the cathedral port version?
Honestly I never paid the cathedral version much attention as the apples to apples unported numbers were a little better with the FAST but I'm sure it could benefit from some hand porting because the construction of all the intakes in question is/are extremely similar.

The real home run from MSD is the LS7 manifold....unfortunately the lowest volume player of them all which I find kind of ironic.....they should have spent that time on a good LS3 intake and they would have cornered a huge market share with that.

If you have some downtime over the winter and want to send me your intake shoot me a PM and we can work out all the details

The results from the porting with your combo would be interesting without a doubt

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

My car goes into hibernation with the first snowfall, which here north of philly is usually early december, so I may take you up on that offer.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Ryne- Can you share any more insight on these using them on 416+ cubic inch setups? Have you found them to be better than the FAST102 for an LS7?
Old 08-20-2016, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

"12hp more than the competitor" was likely on an engine dyno...calculates about spot on to 10rwhp diff. If anything, this confirms MSD claims are spot on.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Fast 102 vs MSD airforce comparison