Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang, first it was only LS3s making mid 400rwhp bolt ons. Then some LS6s started making that kind of power, now it's LS1s also?

What's next...5.3s? 4.8s?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
448 RWHP on a happy dyno.

Likely closer to 420-425.

Right now I'm experiencing a misfire at 6000+ that I've been ripping my hair out chasing. But it occurs past peak so I don't thing it'll affect my peak numbers just power over the curve.
specific cylinder or random? valve springs? shouldnt be a problem with factory coils.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Seeing this dyno graph, on a equal, normal, sheet I would say it's not just a "bolt on" car. It's the shape of the curve. That's just me. But who really knows, or cares, except hammer & maybe hio. Oh yea, your making more than hio's ls6? I've known racers that put their car in their trailor, shut the door, before making ANY adjustments or changes.

Gaining 120hp from just "bolt ons" is pretty crazy. Maybe a h/k lol. I've seen the shape of dyno curves from many "bolt on" LS1s. It doesn't look like that.

Either way you got a strong car.

Last edited by SoFla01SSLookinstok; 04-12-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Seeing this dyno graph, on a equal, normal, sheet I would say it's not just a "bolt on" car. It's the shape of the curve. That's just me. But who really knows, or cares, except hammer & maybe hio. Oh yea, your making more than hio's ls6? I've known racers that put their car in their trailor, shut the door, before making ANY adjustments or changes.

Gaining 120hp from just "bolt ons" is pretty crazy. Maybe a h/k lol. I've seen the shape of dyno curves from many "bolt on" LS1s. It doesn't look like that.

Either way you got a strong car.
Most people only a few bolt ons.FAST,headers,CAI and maybe EWP. That's the difference. There's so many more a person can do. When you do all the little stuff it adds up. Hence the OP's numbers lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Most people only a few bolt ons.FAST,headers,CAI and maybe EWP. That's the difference. There's so many more a person can do. When you do all the little stuff it adds up. Hence the OP's numbers lol.
Hey scotty,

The pieces just don't seem to fit for me. Maybe it is just bolt on. Maybe not. Say full intake/induction, full exhaust, no accessories, 1.8 RR, lighten the drivetrain, tune, solid motor mounts, vacuum pump(which I don't think he has). What else would really gain much more power?

I'll also state that tq curve looks way closer to a GT2-3 curve than a stock cam. I had one.

Who knows. I'm sure a lot of you have heard that a dyno graph shows way more than just peak #'s.

Last edited by SoFla01SSLookinstok; 04-12-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most people only a few bolt ons.FAST,headers,CAI and maybe EWP. That's the difference.
What else is going to add 50rwh-60rwhp on top of those? Because most normal bolt-on setups that you mentioned are in the 360s-370s with all those.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Guaranteed it's a stock ls1 cam in there
Old 04-12-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

120 rwhp is about 150 at the flywheel...a LOT for "bolt ons". This is a Mustang dyno which last I checked are stingier than most, opposite of happy typically. This looks like a messed up dyno, not just happy. A custom cold air, ported FAST, big ported TB, cartridge MAF, injectors, EWP, big tube headers, big duals, and lots of other details would be required to even be close. I'm not saying it's not possible, and no disrespect intended...but I am highly skeptical. Tell me these heads are worked by AI and you slipped an LS6 cam in there, now it begins to make a little more sense...but still a tall order. I have been around the block a tiny bit and I know there are a lot of expensive details that can add up but without a list of those, I suspect the definition of "bolt ons" might be doing some yoga here. Tell me what I could be missing...
Old 04-12-2016, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Hey scotty,

The pieces just don't seem to fit for me. Maybe it is just bolt on. Maybe not. Say full intake/induction, full exhaust, no accessories, 1.8 RR, lighten the drivetrain, tune, solid motor mounts, vacuum pump(which I don't think he has). What else would really gain much more power?

I'll also state that tq curve looks way closer to a GT2-3 curve than a stock cam. I had one.

Who knows. I'm sure a lot of you have heard that a dyno graph shows way more than just peak #'s.
I can't speak for anyone's set up. I talk to OP frequently and I can tell you that there's more bolt ons that people are forgetting. I have a good pile going myself for my next build.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

His sig claims 95mph trap. That's about what a full weigh head can car traps. So I'm pretty sure the dyno numbers are pretty spot on. Unless it's a tin can and weighs 3000lb with him in it lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by redtan
What else is going to add 50rwh-60rwhp on top of those? Because most normal bolt-on setups that you mentioned are in the 360s-370s with all those.
It's possible. His trap last time out clearly backs it up. Can't wait to see what it does now
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmilz28
120 rwhp is about 150 at the flywheel...a LOT for "bolt ons". This is a Mustang dyno which last I checked are stingier than most, opposite of happy typically. This looks like a messed up dyno, not just happy. A custom cold air, ported FAST, big ported TB, cartridge MAF, injectors, EWP, big tube headers, big duals, and lots of other details would be required to even be close. I'm not saying it's not possible, and no disrespect intended...but I am highly skeptical. Tell me these heads are worked by AI and you slipped an LS6 cam in there, now it begins to make a little moUre sense...but still a tall order. I have been around the block a tiny bit and I know there are a lot of expensive details that can add up but without a list of those, I suspect the definition of "bolt ons" might be doing some yoga here. Tell me what I could be missing...
Stock ls1 cam, stock 241 casting and have never been off the block
Old 04-12-2016, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Is this thread designed to be a guessing game? It almost seems like a dick move to lead people on with all this quotations "bolt-on" business when a ******* Procharger "bolts on".

Are we going to learn anything from this, like which bolt on upgrades may reproduce these numbers for other members, or is this thread just to show us that there are bolt on upgrades out there that give awesome results, but you refuse to tell us what they are?

Details, or it's all bullshit.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

It's NA.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

And has many bolt-ons. Got it.

Unless this is literally just supposed to drag on and on until someone finally guesses what your magical bolt-ons are, why won't you just tell us what you have bolted on to your LS1? Would you even tell us if we guessed it correctly? Did you start this thread just to taunt everyone that obviously has yet to find the magical combination of bolt on parts? What gives, guy?

Will you please share the exact parts that made your results possible? In the name of science, others may want to reproduce these results... otherwise, it's all bullshit.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a camshaft having -30 degrees of overlap your making more hp than tq? Tq peaks at about 4900 & hp peaks at about 5900. You sir are the new unicorn master.
I've seen a lot of Mustang Dyno's throw out some abnormally high TQ figures. Don't know why, but they seem to sometimes do that.

Not taking anything away from Big Hammer because those are excellent results!
Old 04-13-2016, 05:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidBoren
Is this thread designed to be a guessing game? It almost seems like a dick move to lead people on with all this quotations "bolt-on" business when a ******* Procharger "bolts on".

Are we going to learn anything from this, like which bolt on upgrades may reproduce these numbers for other members, or is this thread just to show us that there are bolt on upgrades out there that give awesome results, but you refuse to tell us what they are?

Details, or it's all bullshit.
Originally Posted by DavidBoren
And has many bolt-ons. Got it.

Unless this is literally just supposed to drag on and on until someone finally guesses what your magical bolt-ons are, why won't you just tell us what you have bolted on to your LS1? Would you even tell us if we guessed it correctly? Did you start this thread just to taunt everyone that obviously has yet to find the magical combination of bolt on parts? What gives, guy?

Will you please share the exact parts that made your results possible? In the name of science, others may want to reproduce these results... otherwise, it's all bullshit.

Wow, someone sounds mad. Is it really that big of a deal what he did? Do you really think barraging him and calling out obscenities is going to make him list out all the mods for you? Lots of people on this board do all out builds and dont list mods (for obvious reasons) I can honestly tell you the car trapped what it did in his sig before all these mods were even complete and that the car def has a stock cam and stock heads and is by no means gutted. The dyno probably should read 420ish though.

Even if all the mods were listed people would still call bs or just simply not want to do it because the attention to detail to do this defies what so many people on here consider worth the effort. If you really wanted to know or get some help I'm sure you could pm him and talk about your car. However I can tell you from posts I have seen and replied to from you in the past you would not believe the numbers for the mods anyway. But instead of being all grumpy about the nummbers maybe you could simply try to understand or do some research in hiossilvers or hammers past threads and just say congrats instead of throwing another temper tantrum
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Idk about you guys but i plan on implimenting some of hammers magical bolt ons!

The process has begun
Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Idk about you guys but i plan on implimenting some of hammers magical bolt ons!

The process has begun
Stop teasing us!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have three questions.

1. Why, is it just for the challenge? Looking at everything you would have to optimise engine and accessory wise plus I assume a lightweight flywheel, clutch, drive shaft (manual) or auto mods, rear end and wheels etc, etc just to say it's "bolt on", surely it would be less expensive to buy even the best set of heads available and an aftermarket cam to make the same or probably more power.

2. Devil's advocate here, technically a stock LS1 cam, slight regrind maybe?

3. Have Big Hammer and HioSSilver ever been seen in the same room/area at the same time?

Jason.

Last edited by Jase01; 04-13-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally dyno tuned my car... Highest hp "bolt on" ls1?