Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Just back from 1st ever dyno - a little dissapointed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just back from 1st ever dyno - a little dissapointed...

Just got back from TTP's dyno day in NJ ($40 for 4 runs-but I only did 2), nice meeting Matt co-owner of TTP and met a couple other nice guys too. I am however, a tad little dissapointed in the numbers I got. Can someone tell me how my A/F ratio looks. Does it look like not enough air? Wondering if my K&N is real dirty or something, lol. Another thing I think is a little bit of a bottle neck is the stock Y-pipe and cats. Realistically I don't have much in terms of power mods and I guess its not that bad, but my Torque does seem low. The guy who ran before me was a C5 which i think just had an aftermarket intake and he had the same exact HP numbers as me (right around 315) but he had 345 torque, wheres I only had 326 torque.
these are my only power mods:
MTI lid
JBA shorties
SLP Loundmouth w/Borla mufflers
Granatelli MAF
Shaner S2 ported TB
Brian Greene Ram Air (does nothing on dyno but probably up to 10rwhp more on highway)

Also not sure if my 17X11 & 315's take a little power away on a dyno???

Let me know what you guys think please.

Name:  Dsc00629.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 10-16-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

A4 or M6? Heavier rims aren't helping, but they're a minor issue. A/F looks a little low.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

M6. what do you mean A/F looks a little low? Rich or lean??
Old 10-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

little lean
Old 10-16-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

well 14.7 is the magic number right? and lookin at the graph, yours is floatin at what? i may just be out of it right now(been a long week)....
Old 10-16-2004, 07:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

his a/f was around 12.5-12.8:1 on that run from where im sitting where on an na motor is pretty close to where you wanna be on the dyno...but then again it could be slightly skewed if hes running cats.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

I guess I just missed you. You have the red ws6? I would love to have your AFR reading. Mine was a tad over 14 for most of the run. 1 run was all I did. My car did 337/354. Later John
Old 10-16-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe that MAF is helping to screw things up a little bit?
Old 10-16-2004, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

I guess I just missed you. You have the red ws6? I would love to have your AFR reading. Mine was a tad over 14 for most of the run. 1 run was all I did. My car did 337/354. Later John
you were there today? yeah I had the red WS6. Were you oneof the younger guys that came in around 4:30 or so with the blond haired girl? Nice numbers. I just ordered some Pacesetter LT's and an off-road Y-pipe. hopefully this will help a lot.

Strahley, could be...people have different opinions on the GMAF. Some people run great numbers with them though. It came with the car when i bought it _ I would never have wasted money on it. I know the guy initially had problems with the car pinging and had to send it back to granatelli and they recalibrated it and than he said it was great. Only thing I added to the car was the shaner TB and the Boyd wheels.

foff667 - Yes right now I have the stock y-pipe with stock cats. mileage on the car is only 26k.

koniu77, a friend ran autotap on my car and as I was afraid it was a little rich and after he ran it he said no if anything its a little lean but just about right. So you are right on with what he was saying. slightly lean Sounds like the A/F is tuned in for maximum power so I don't know...

BUT, i will soon have my LT's and off-road Y on and next will be an LS6 intake and than a TSP 224/224 cam kit so the next time I am on the dyno I should be sporting at least 370rwhp--I hope
Old 10-16-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=KB99WS6]you were there today? yeah I had the red WS6. Were you oneof the younger guys that came in around 4:30 or so with the blond haired girl? Nice numbers. I just ordered some Pacesetter LT's and an off-road Y-pipe. hopefully this will help a lot.

I was leaving when your car showed up I think. My car was the white bird right by the door with the stickers. I did have a blond hair girl but it was my 3.5 yr old. Good luck on the quest for more power. All i can say if I didnt check it I would of blown the motor in 3 wks. Its funny when you try to tell someone that I have enough WOT shifts/driving in 20 min of road racing as most drag cars see in a yr and the setup has to be adjusted... to make sure the its rich enough. That what I get for doing it my way. Later John
Old 10-16-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Oh ok, I know exactly who you were now, you were there right when i pulled up. I was looking at you to say hi but you were pre-occupied talking to your little girl in the passenger seat, which is certainly understandable
Old 10-16-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I have to keep the wife happy or I wont be doing anything. I've been working 70 to 80hr work wk trying to pay for my habit. So giving the wife a break for a bit is a good thing. Maybe will me next yr. John
Old 10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

wow, I'd give up the hobby before I ever worked 70-80hr's a week, especially if I had a kid too. heck, a girlfriend, a dog and 40 hour work weeks are enough for me!, lol. Seriously i am way too lazy to ever work that much. My hats off to you...
Old 10-16-2004, 10:27 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your numbers are fine for the little mods you have and your A/F is right in line of where it should be. since when is 12.5 - 12.8 lean , keep in mine that was on a dyno, on the street it will be a bit leaner due to the load on the car. thats th reason mustang dyno's are better for tuning.

was this your first dyno? if not what was a baseline or previous number. you have to look at things as a collective gain, if you started low your going to end low. comparing your numbers to someone who might of started 15rwhp is something you shouldnt do because all it does is lead to dissapointed like you've already expressed. with a 99 ls1 and those mods your numbers are fine.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

jrp, thanks for your response.

yes as the title states, this is my first dyno ever....with any car in fact. As far as it being a 99, i don't know if people mean that its fine for a 99 b/c its an older car or b/c 99's don't dyno as well as newer ones but for the record the car has only 26k miles on it. i don't know I just figure bone stock LS1's are good for at least 300rwhp and that my mods were worth more than 15rwhp... lid, catback, ported tb, GMAF & shorty headers which I know dont do much but for 98-99 i thought they were worth like 5rwhp...just looks like my car started out from the factory as a little bit weaker running car...

but I am gonna fix all that...as I said i just ordered Pacesetter LT's and an OR Y-pipe and I think this will help a lot. Doesnt adding LT's and an OR Y-pipe make the car run richer...so wouldnt that mean I should see some decent gains before I even get a dyno tune since i am already running a tad lean, i figure it will offset a bit...
Old 10-16-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
wow, I'd give up the hobby before I ever worked 70-80hr's a week, especially if I had a kid too. heck, a girlfriend, a dog and 40 hour work weeks are enough for me!, lol. Seriously i am way too lazy to ever work that much. My hats off to you...
You dont know how close Im coming to in the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I been fixing cars for a living now going on 20yr.To elp a freind at night who lost his tech from a heart attack. The one thing that sucks about the race I do Is all your bills for the race come in a 4 wk time frame. Every other thing I have raced has them spread out over 6 month. Broken parts this yr hurt me this yr too. But its fun. Again good luck on the new parts and quest for more power. John
Old 10-16-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks John and good luck to you too, seriously....
Old 10-16-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

since i am already running a tad lean, i figure it will offset a bit...
If anything you would be a tad rich, not a tad lean. For the typical N/A car you should look around 12.8-13.1 for max power. No idea what the guy who told you that you were a tad lean was thinking.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

but the bottom line is, I am pretty much in a good A/R zone, whether a tad this way or that way. Does it look like I would even benefit much from a Dyno tune at this point? granted i wouldnt do that until after I added the LT's and off road y-pipe...
Old 10-17-2004, 12:06 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jrp, thanks for your response.

yes as the title states, this is my first dyno ever....with any car in fact. As far as it being a 99, i don't know if people mean that its fine for a 99 b/c its an older car or b/c 99's don't dyno as well as newer ones but for the record the car has only 26k miles on it. i don't know I just figure bone stock LS1's are good for at least 300rwhp and that my mods were worth more than 15rwhp... lid, catback, ported tb, GMAF & shorty headers which I know dont do much but for 98-99 i thought they were worth like 5rwhp...just looks like my car started out from the factory as a little bit weaker running car...

but I am gonna fix all that...as I said i just ordered Pacesetter LT's and an OR Y-pipe and I think this will help a lot. Doesnt adding LT's and an OR Y-pipe make the car run richer...so wouldnt that mean I should see some decent gains before I even get a dyno tune since i am already running a tad lean, i figure it will offset a bit...
guess i should of read the title. but anyway, w/o knowing a baseline its hard to guess how much you gained w/ your mods. were saying your mods are fine for a 99 w/ any mileage. compared to 00+ cars you have more strictive manifolds and compared to 01's you dont have the ls6 intake. its easy too think that all cars start at a 300rwhp baseline but the reality is they dont. from a low 273rwhp to a high 320rwhp is the spectrum of stock ls1's i've seen.

Headers and ORY will help emensivly, and your not a tad lean. whoever told you that was wrong or uninformed.