Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Losing HP? How bad do i need the dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Losing HP? How bad do i need the dyno?

Well i just got my F11 cam installed! I have no idea whether i've seen any power from it.. it actually seems to be at about the same it was before it was installed.. i need an LS6 intake on it.. but it seems like i'm not seeing as much power as i should..

my major mods include:
1.)SLP headers, Y-pipe
2.)Vig 3200, shift kit, trans cooler
3.)F11 cam
4.)All new valvetrain, oil pump, timing chain
5.) exhaust cut-out
6.)160 degree stat
7.) SLP lid and K&N air filter

I plan on getting the LS6 intake and polishing my throttle body.. My only questions are....

1.)Will the dyno tune completely wake my car up with the mods i have? Or will i only see small gains?
2.)Is it possible i am losing power from being so out of tune?

If anyone could give me an idea or just reply! i'd appreciate it.. I am just really hoping for more than what its putting out right now..
Old 10-25-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not feeling any gains, you have something wrong in the valvetrain or in the tune. You should gain massive power with that cam, people put down 410 hp with it all the time. I'd go ahead and spend the money for at least a few pulls on the dyno with wideband o2's to see where you stand.
What lifters are you running?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i wouldn't there there would be anything wrong with the valvetrain.. it was all professionally installed.. I have brand new stock lifters.. i think i might be feeling a gain.. it just doesn't feel like it should because its untuned.. But i am not sure.. how much of a gain did you feel with yours untuned? Thanks for the response
Old 10-25-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, mine was tuned immediately after installation. But, I can tell you that a really good tune is worth about 15-20 rwhp, however I think most people pick up 8-12. I really dont think the stock tune is holding you back all that much. Question -- how high are you taking your motor? If i remember, I think that cam pulls from like 3200-6800 (could be wrong, check Futral's website - it's now up and running.) I've noticed that you really feel it shine after 4000 rpm, so if you are shifting at like 5500-5800 you really aren't feeling the power that the cam has to offer. If i were you, I'd call Allan at FMS and talk to him about what you're experiencing, I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i shift at about 5900 to 6000.. when i should be shifting at around 6500.. maybe i'm just not feeling the higer RPM power like i should.. and maybe thats where most of the power will be.. Its also a chance that my intake is choking it out.. i need an LS6.. i'll definately get a tune ASAP.. i think it will be a noticeable difference! Thanks for your reply.. i'm going to check out futrals site now =)
Old 10-26-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those shift points are definetely too low. My 231/237 makes great power all the way to 6800 and I try to shift at 6500. I said I TRY becasue the tach is slower than the actual engine rev's now. I raced my buddy who has Macs ORY and LM and he stays with me until I hit about 3500 and then I start to pull HARD . Having to shift on the stock rev limiter doesn't help him out either.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

so it will definately benefit me to shift around 6500-6700 compared to 5800-6000? hopefully it does.. and i'm guessing the LS6 intake will make a huge difference along with the tune.. just gotta look forward to those 2 mods.. and possibly a polished TB.. Thanks for the reply WS-Sick!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I was pretty disappointed with the sotp feel after my cam swap. I think that was mainly cause it didn't pull much harder, just a little harder for a lot longer. I did get it dynoed and the numbers weren't that impressive. I also have the stock intake and am missing a lot of boltons, but that'll change soon.