Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Added LS6 intake, stage 3 trans and car dynoed much lower

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Added LS6 intake, stage 3 trans and car dynoed much lower

Saturday morning I picked up my car from speed inc. I had my trans replaced with a built 4l60E which is the stage III (strongest) A4 they sell. I also had them install an LS6 intake to the mix. My old dyno numbers are in sig (369rwhp, 363rwtq locked) and my new numbers are 343rwhp and 349rwtq (unlocked). I also had the car retuned (air/fuel tweaked) with LS1 Edit while it was over there. On the dyno in my sig, I ran an open cutout with the 369 figure. The only thing that may have restricted a little power is my Magnaflow catback but I seriously doubt 30 or more rwhp. Anyone know what's going on here. The A/F is 12.9-13.1 across the board.

A few weeks ago at the track I ran a 12.18 at 110.62 with a 1.69 60ft. I'm hoping that I will be quicker with my new setup but with that kind of power loss I'm worried it'll run a lot slower.

Does this new trans suck up extra power? Does it need to be broken in? Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Locking up the torque converter nets bigger numbers. You need to dyno again with the converter locked to get a more accurate idea of what is going on. The cutout may be worth 3-5, but I don't see it being worth anymore with a magnaflow.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
Saturday morning I picked up my car from speed inc. I had my trans replaced with a built 4l60E which is the stage III (strongest) A4 they sell. I also had them install an LS6 intake to the mix. My old dyno numbers are in sig (369rwhp, 363rwtq locked) and my new numbers are 343rwhp and 349rwtq (unlocked). I also had the car retuned (air/fuel tweaked) with LS1 Edit while it was over there. On the dyno in my sig, I ran an open cutout with the 369 figure. The only thing that may have restricted a little power is my Magnaflow catback but I seriously doubt 30 or more rwhp. Anyone know what's going on here. The A/F is 12.9-13.1 across the board.

A few weeks ago at the track I ran a 12.18 at 110.62 with a 1.69 60ft. I'm hoping that I will be quicker with my new setup but with that kind of power loss I'm worried it'll run a lot slower.

Does this new trans suck up extra power? Does it need to be broken in? Any feedback is appreciated.
Won't the stronger transmission eat more horsepower? Kind of like putting a Moser 12-bolt under your car -- now it can take the launch, but the gears eat more horsepower and are heavier, so it requires consideration. Thirty horsepower is a lot, but if they installed their toughest transmission package it's bound to eat the most numbers while also being the heaviest, right? I could be way off, I'm just asking.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd like to find out by taking it to the track. First I have to wait for some break in miles, they suggested taking it easy for the first 500. If I see that I actually gain some trap speed (due to the LS6) then I'll be happy, I could care less what the dyno shows.
They have a great reputation for tuning, I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

But what I'm saying is, I think putting a stronger tranny in your car will make it slower, not faster. The reason why you install a stronger tranny is because your putting out too much horsepower for the stock one and it will break, right?

I'm not saying you should have dropped 30 horsepower, but maybe lost 15-20 with the tranny and added 5-15 with the intake. Then, you have to factor in that every dyno is different and every day is a new story.

Like you say, only the track will tell; dyno numbers are only a guide to true performance.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

did you change converters at the time you installed the tranny?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

There is alot of factors, Weather temp, etc. Also your new tranny shouldn`t eat more than 10-15 at the most. I didn`t loose any with my build from Century! Everyone does dyno`s differant. Alot of factors play with dynoing a car. To the point of straping it down, and air to it. Same dyno can show differant numbers by the way the owner works it. Get track times and go from there! Good Luck!!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The variance in most part is due to the unlocked torque converter.

FWIW, I tried locking your converter on the dyno but it wouldn't hold at WOT.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea, I'm sure the beefy tranny ate of some HP too......

Its like a buddy of mine.....he made 390rwhp unlocked through his setup....STOCK converter.....

He had a 3800 stall put in, and the stage 3 trans and dynoed 353 unlocked after the conversion
Old 11-17-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INTMD8
FWIW, I tried locking your converter on the dyno but it wouldn't hold at WOT.
I thought it can be locked with LS1 Edit. I'm just concerned that my car may have a problem. The tc was sent out to be flush and cut, I just don't want to run into any problems with it.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

That is interesting. Those of you who havn't seen it:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20
I put down nearly identical numbers when i had mine tuned. Differences are that I have a larger cam (MS3), no pulley, and no LS6 intake, and the SSF3500. Though I did run 12.2 @ 111 in that form, which isn't bad considering the scary *** dyno numbers I had.