Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

My car is a SLUG low dyno #'s

Old 02-18-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My car is a SLUG low dyno #'s

Went to a new shop that was doing dyno nights for $35 so it's been 2 yrs since I last dyno'd and haven't dyno'd since my cam went in last last Jan.

First off we're watching them dyno sticks in 3rd gear..........WTF? I told the guy do both of mine in 4th. So he goes to do it and what does he do he goes from 3rd to 2nd then nails it retard didn't go to forth
.........wow that was fast atleast my car will look good when I do spray it someday But the car looked cool when the nose shot up. 299 RWHP on a 2nd gear run Did you know we show more power with a 3rd gear pull so he said

I dropped 316 RWHP bone stock, 327 stock with an air lid, 338/340 with Headers, and an ORY.

I go tonight in 70 degrees to run a whopping 344 RWHP 348 RWTQ with a cam!!

Hahaha, this place is WAY off, considering my car runs low 12's and has also gone 11.91-11.92 before and trapped 116 @ 117 in good air.

Thought you'd all get a kick out of a small cam LS1 that gained 6 RWHP from a Comp cam.

I will be going to my regular dyno in a few weeks to get some REAL numbers and get back to you.

Old 02-18-2005, 03:29 AM
12 Second Club

Did he ever get it to 4th?
Sounds like the guy shouldn't be dynoing anything.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Claire those #'s look right to me
Old 02-18-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hear there is a shop in brandon that dynos the cars in the proper 1/1 gear.....

after the first pull why didnt you just make the guy dyno in 4th gear?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

He had no clue of what he was doing. I was sitting there watching him do a Mustang and pull it in 3rd gear. I was like, that's not right. I told those peope do both of mine in 4th gear.

I told the guy to run 4th I have a shift light set at either 6400 or 6600 (can't remember) and the rev limiter set to 7K so he would be fine to run it to the shiftlight and stay in it. Dave told him to peg the rev limiter so we can see where the cam is pulling to because I may be able to shift higher.

Anyway, long story short he never pulled my car past 6500 and I never saw the shift light come on on his face. I think the sound of the cars scared these people. Mine was nasty loud once it's WOT.

So that was it, the graph they had has no air fuel, and it's not a normal looking graph I am used to seeing the graph showing the curves on it with the grid.

I am going to go back to the dyno I've used since 2000, same shop, same dyno........that's it and SAME Person driving my **** (he builds all out race cars he can drive )

How bout that Vince Wanna take a ride in my magical car? It's a sleeper. BTW, Gator, I heard Jeremy is coming down to tune some Fbods here.........I will go up there for him to tune me so I can meet up with some Tampa people and stick some break in miles on my motor.

Last edited by racer88; 02-18-2005 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 AM
On The Tree

what kind of dyno was he using? Eddy-current dyno's don't require that a 1-1 ratio be used. It will read the same power in any gear.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GREATWHITE
what kind of dyno was he using? Eddy-current dyno's don't require that a 1-1 ratio be used. It will read the same power in any gear.
Above ground Dynojet. It was off it only registered 501 RW on another car with a 150 shot that dyno'd 580 once before.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GREATWHITE
Good point. Depending upon rear end ratios, many cars show slightly higher HP #s on eddy current dynos in 3rd due to lower drivetrain/tire/roller losses. Keep in mind that drivetrain/tire/roller losses increase more then a strait line % as MPH increases. However, on an enertia dyno a higher selected transmission gear loads the engine more that decreases engine/drivetrain excelleration losses, thus more HP. Due to this, many may find that a 5th gear pull on an enertia dyno may even show a higher HP # if the dyno and tires can handle the higher MPH. But here again, at some point the higher drivetrain and roller/tire losses will overcome this potential gain. Obviously different rear-end ratios enter into this picture, especially on enertia only dynos, confusing?

EJ
Old 02-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

YOu have to dyno a car at as close to a 1:1 ration as possible, 2nd gear will give you more power, than 3rd or 4th
Old 02-19-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing happend to me once. I dynoed at a local import show last summer, a dyno that came right off the back of a truck. Anyways I put down 260rwhp.........then a civic with just an intake and muffler hopped on and dynoes 350rwhp........it was funny. They were behind 1 for every car.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wild85
YOu have to dyno a car at as close to a 1:1 ration as possible, 2nd gear will give you more power, than 3rd or 4th
It's the other way around. Dynoing in 2nd will give less power than dynoing in 4th gear.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 97bowtie
It's the other way around. Dynoing in 2nd will give less power than dynoing in 4th gear.
I agree with an inertia dyno but on a load dyno the #s could be very close if the acceleration rate of the engine is programmed to be the same and if traction does not become an issue. We can not and sometimes refuse to do 4th gr pulls on some cars due to MPH speed goveners and tire speed ratings. I've seen enough fan belts, blower belts, hot oil, drive shafts etc come flying across the dyno shop, don't need tire caps too. This is why we do not promote car clubs and audiences. (Organizers of such activities could be liable).

EJ
Old 02-19-2005, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dynocar
I agree with an inertia dyno but on a load dyno the #s could be very close if the acceleration rate of the engine is programmed to be the same and if traction does not become an issue. We can not and sometimes refuse to do 4th gr pulls on some cars due to MPH speed goveners and tire speed ratings. I've seen enough fan belts, blower belts, hot oil, drive shafts etc come flying across the dyno shop, don't need tire caps too. This is why we do not promote car clubs and audiences. (Organizers of such activities could be liable).

EJ
Uhh, ok. I wasn't making a blanket statement, was just responding to his statement which was wrong.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's okay, I was wondering what my power was with a cam. But I have the track #'s to say the dyno isn't accurate.

I will post back other #'s when I hit the same one I've used for the last 4 yrs.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds like this guy dyno's lawnmowers for a living.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
It sounds like this guy dyno's lawnmowers for a living.
Well since being there my ABS Inop is lit, they have cut a wire somewhere. Aside from the retard doing a 2nd gear pull thinking he was in 4th (well atleast my car jumps when you peg 2nd with 4.10's) Looked like you hit the spray truthfully

Here is what 2 Friends that were there saw:

I also saw "Bill" take a pair of dikes and a razor blade into your engine compartment. I thought that maybe he was clipping a zip tie or something to get to your tach signal wire. Now that we know that something else was clipped (i'm sure it was an accident)
And another person standing there stated the same in replies between 2 other local car forums.

Now that you said this, last night they clipped some wire or something when they put your car on the dyno. Right when they were hooking it up to the tach output I believe. I dont think if this even makes a difference, but they cut something and im not the only one who saw it.
Funny tho I rant on the 2 local boards about what I did (even the guys who invited us to go) and the bystanders replied, not sure why they didn't tell me while I was there I would have confronted the shop owner.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer88
Well since being there my ABS Inop is lit, they have cut a wire somewhere.

A common problem on ABS F Body cars dynoed by new dyno operators is that they wrap the left rear axle strap around the axle and the ABS harness. This pulls the harness' plug loose or damages the harness when the strap gets tight.

EJ
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dynocar
A common problem on ABS F Body cars dynoed by new dyno operators is that they wrap the left rear axle strap around the axle and the ABS harness. This pulls the harness' plug loose or damages the harness when the strap gets tight.

EJ
Well the car is now fixed and yes, you are right about that.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer88
Well the car is now fixed and yes, you are right about that.
Glad to hear you're fixed. Recently we had a Viper that came in off of a trailer for dyno tuning. The customer told me that he left the axle straps attached from trailering to save me some work. Great, however when I crawled under to attach the chain, I looked up to see how the strap was attached - it was wrapped around the half shaft on each side. I'm going to up our rates for hazardous pay duty!

EJ
Old 02-21-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

My Boyfriend figured right away what they probably did. The confusing thing is the bystanders that thought they saw they 'cut' something in the engine bay. We have no idea but wires etc have also been checked and appear to be fine.

I won't be going back to that dyno ever again. I will go back to the one I've used in the last few years. I've never had an issue ever at his dyno and he's got some serious race cars he's built dyno at his shop...........if he can secure them down safely there is no reason he can't get a 360 RWHP car secured

FWIW, I raced my car Friday night with no ABS and to tell you the truth our cars are fine without it........not that you use ABS on the track but our cars with good brakes and good rotors stop so well anyway, thing is I don't wanna know what it feels like to try and stop on my skinnies

Search this Thread