Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Patriot Heads/Cam Dyno Results by Horsepower Sales/Next Level Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Patriot Heads/Cam Dyno Results by Horsepower Sales/Next Level Performance

For those of you considering the bargain head/cam buildup, here's your chance to learn from my experience on my 2002 MN6 Corvette Convertible.

Parts Installed:
Patriot Performance Stage II 5.3 heads, milled .010
Patriot Cam 226/226 .585/.585 112 LCA
Harland Sharp 1.7 full roller rockers
Dynatech Dynamaxx LT Headers, HF Cats, X pipe

Parts previously installed:
Breathless Vortex
Borla Stinger Quad Oval

Results:
404 HP, 383 TQ Temp in the shop - 94 degrees, late August in S. Florida. Felt like 110 degrees to me.

Thanks to:
Roger & Crew at Horsepower Sales in Pompano FL. Roger's team had my car done on time, done right the first time. I like to do all my work myself and I'm very meticulous, double checking everything. Roger's shop works like I do - everything was tight, clean, no leaks, etc., just like when I do it myself.

Mike Norris at Next Level Performance - his final tune added 13 HP to the base tune, but more importantly, my car now idles almost flawlessly in bumper to bumper traffic with the AC on. The partnership of Mike and Roger has been a real boon to we S. Fla LS1 enthusiasts.

Gunnar at Patriot Performace for excellent customer service. He answered all my picky questions and beat his own shipping deadline. The price for the H/C/Rockers, bolts and gaskets from Gunnar was awesome - and I think it's dropped since I bought mine!

My Experience so far:
My goal was to 400 HP for my daily driver/ occasional HPDE/Drag Racer, and I achieved it. The price for this system was very low, and thus I was able to get a new clutch installed at the same time and stay in budget. I do wish I would have sprung for the underdrive pulley for the extra 10 HP or so. The car seems a little softer than stock between 1k-2k around town, but when it hits 2.5k it explodes. My runflats give up the ghost at 4k and just start spinning. Second gear is not much better. To me it feels like a two stroke motor hitting its powerband. Idle is ok, a bit rougher than I had expected, but liveable. Only downside so far is the noise from the Borlas – it sounds great, like a race car, but that’s not so cool at 6:00 am when I take off for work. The sound easily doubled from stock with the Borlas, even at idle. I guess I'm getting old!

So overall I’m thrilled with the results. I’ll be hitting the track soon, can’t wait to see how that goes. Tires are going to have to be my next mod!

Thanks again to Roger, Mike and Gunnar for the excellent service!

Dyno Sheet:
Attached Thumbnails Patriot Heads/Cam Dyno Results by Horsepower Sales/Next Level Performance-corvette_hc_dynosheet.jpg  
Old 09-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Banned

I suggest losing the harland sharps and picking up a few lost ponies and recoup a couple hundred bucks.

But very solid numbers and great tq curve. Have fun with her.

Nate
Old 09-11-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
I suggest losing the harland sharps and picking up a few lost ponies and recoup a couple hundred bucks.

But very solid numbers and great tq curve. Have fun with her.

Nate

i agree

sell the hs rockers and pick up an underdrive pulley. worth its weight in gold
Old 09-11-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Q

What improvements would you have seen if 1.8 or 1.85 rockers were installed instead of 1.7?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow that's a fat torque curve...over 300 pounds as low as 2400 rpms Pretty decent numbers but I would've expected a little more with the heads. Maybe b/c you're running cats and a "mild" cam.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Improvement with the 1.8s probably would have got you back up to what it would have been stock. The Harland Sharps weigh so much that they hurt performance compared to the stockers. I think only the Crane Gold 1.7s or 1.8s are worth anything over stock.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on achieving your goal! If you haven't already done it, you should get your throttle body ported as well to pick up some extra power.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:55 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Seems to peak high.....
Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I'm thinking. It peaks higher than my cam
Old 09-12-2005, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Joe G

Parts Installed:
Patriot Performance Stage II 5.3 heads, milled .010
Patriot Cam 226/226 .585/.585 112 LCA
Harland Sharp 1.7 full roller rockers
Dynatech Dynamaxx LT Headers, HF Cats, X pipe

Results:
404 HP, 383 TQ Temp in the shop - 94 degrees, late August in S. Florida. Felt like 110 degrees to me.

Gunnar at Patriot Performace for excellent customer service. He answered all my picky questions and beat his own shipping deadline. The price for the H/C/Rockers, bolts and gaskets from Gunnar was awesome - and I think it's dropped since I bought mine!

So overall I’m thrilled with the results. I’ll be hitting the track soon, can’t wait to see how that goes. Tires are going to have to be my next mod!

Thanks again to Roger, Mike and Gunnar for the excellent service!

Glad to hear you like the set up. Email us a pic of your car and we will put it on our website.

This is exactly what we are working to produce... a quality product, built with quality parts, at an affordable price.

Why pay more?

Thanks again for the kind words and keep us posted on your track times.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

get rid of the cats, port your tb, and get a pulley and you will be around 420 rwhp
Old 09-12-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Very nice results!!! I would also ditch the rockers

Old 09-12-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very nice #'s. You'll be happy with those Patriot heads.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

My 2001 Vette made 414 & 398 with a smaller 224/224 581 112 cam and TEA 1.5 heads. Drove very nice and like your made me get rid of the runcrap tires quickly.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
Very nice results!!! I would also ditch the rockers

Thanks! Everybody seems to think I should go back to stock rockers... anybody have any dyno results from doing so? It's not that hard of a job so I could do it in my driveway if it's worth it.

And, I do have a Shaner TB, but I didn't get the underdrive pulley. I wish I would have, that was just dumb on my part.

I'm sure happy with my results based on the price I paid.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Keep the rockers. The HS rockers aren't heavier than the stockers overall, just a little heavier over the tip. Your running one of the best springs on the market so I see no need to put the stock rockers back on the car and risk it puking needle bearings out. It isn't gonna pick up or lose any with the rockers. I ran the Yella terra's that are heavier over the tip and over all than the HS rockers and did back to back testing on them on the dynowith stockers, same day, 30 minutes between swaps. SAME EXACT HP! SAME EXACT TQ! Kinda takes all the quess work out of it. The vavletrain was much quieter also with the full rollers on it.

Good numbers for the parts you have. I agree though that an ASP pulley is worth it's in gold.

John
Old 09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
JS
10 Second Club

I too think your number are good
I would still try the stock rockers just for S&G,and get that pulley too.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is everyone dumoing on the HS rockers. You guys think there gonna make more power over the stock rockers. Does anyone have any dyno #'s to support the bashing
Old 09-13-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Running the Yella Terra's here with no problems. I could actually tell the valvetrain was quieter with them over the stock rockers as John02SS commented. Not bad at all considering the hot humid FL weather. You would probably pass 415+rwhp in the winter with less humidity.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by John02SS
Keep the rockers. The HS rockers aren't heavier than the stockers overall, just a little heavier over the tip. Your running one of the best springs on the market so I see no need to put the stock rockers back on the car and risk it puking needle bearings out. It isn't gonna pick up or lose any with the rockers. I ran the Yella terra's that are heavier over the tip and over all than the HS rockers and did back to back testing on them on the dynowith stockers, same day, 30 minutes between swaps. SAME EXACT HP! SAME EXACT TQ! Kinda takes all the quess work out of it. The vavletrain was much quieter also with the full rollers on it.

Good numbers for the parts you have. I agree though that an ASP pulley is worth it's in gold.

John
Great infomation, thanks! I do wish I'd got that pulley, oh well.

It was BLISTERINGLY hot when my car was dyno'd. For those that don't live in So. Fla, the air is thick in the summer, you can almost wring water out of it with your hands it seems. I will re-run the dyno in January or Feb (when it's a cool 70 degrees here) and we'll see.

Truth be told, I really care more about 1/4 mile times. I'm off the Sebring this weekend to road race and to the drags in 3 weeks. We'll see how she does there.

Also, each day the car seems to learn its idle better. Today I sat in a food line for 20 minutes in the blazing heat, a/c on, stop and go. No problems at all, didn't stall, nothing. Just idled along perfectly, and seems to be shaking less each day. I was glad about that, I was worried that this cam would not be liveable on the daily drive street life but so far so good.

Quick Reply: Patriot Heads/Cam Dyno Results by Horsepower Sales/Next Level Performance