Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Why such low numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Why such low numbers?

Please look at my sig and tell me where the restriction is. With all this work and money spent, I'm not even making 400 at the wheels. It's a new motor that has seen ZERO miles street usage. Motor was bored/honed with torque plates, so, breaking in at 3,000 miles will probably yield me maybe 10 RWHP if I'm lucky.

Any ideas? I'm hoping the engine is just REALLY tight and will produce better numbers. Dyno was with street tires and smallest Borla restrictor plate ... TQ converter unlocked. Next dyno will be with the new MT ET street radials and wide open Borla. Think I'll gain much?

Hopefully, on this particular setup I'll get a great ET/mph at the traps and numbers won't mean much.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The convertor being unlocked is probably killing ya 20 hp itself. What are the exact #'s?
Old 11-20-2005, 06:27 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im not sure what your expecting, playing the dyno game with your setup and you'll only be dispointed. you've got a hp sucking drivetrain, on top of the inherent greater efficiency loss compared to the t56.

what CR are you running? and as ^ stated, running through an unlocked convertor will kill your numbers as well.

take it to the track and then report back.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converter is unlocked, and you are running through a 12 bolt. Also, I see you have 17" wheels. You're also giving up a little by not having a FAST 90mm set up. JFWIW - on Mike's dyno I only picked up about 5 RWHP by locking the converter. I have a Yank SY3500 in my car.

The wide open plate should free up a little, but the tires may hurt your dyno #'s. I have them, and they are heavier than my regular radials.

I wouldn't sweat the #'s unless you dyno race. I feel you'll be pleasantly surprised when it makes a clean pass down the track.

I have a similar set up going together in the next few months. Mike @ NLP will tune this one as well. My short block is on it's way, and next month my heads and FAST intake go back to AFR for some touch ups. I also went with a slightly bigger cam than you from AFR. I'm running through a 10 bolt still... so I expect to put up slightly better #'s. But, if I had the money... you can bet the farm I'd put a 12 bolt in my car too.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Please look at my sig and tell me where the restriction is. With all this work and money spent, I'm not even making 400 at the wheels. It's a new motor that has seen ZERO miles street usage. Motor was bored/honed with torque plates, so, breaking in at 3,000 miles will probably yield me maybe 10 RWHP if I'm lucky.

Any ideas? I'm hoping the engine is just REALLY tight and will produce better numbers. Dyno was with street tires and smallest Borla restrictor plate ... TQ converter unlocked. Next dyno will be with the new MT ET street radials and wide open Borla. Think I'll gain much?

Hopefully, on this particular setup I'll get a great ET/mph at the traps and numbers won't mean much.
Good heads..good cam and Strange 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. I see no problem for your combo...How much unlocked? HP and curve. "Average Hp" accellerates you with the vertered cars...

Oh yeah, almost forgot....I lost 12 SAE rwhp going from a stock 10 bolt with 3.73 gears to a Strange 12 bolt with 3.73 gears...There's some loss right there for ya!

Last edited by jimbob; 11-26-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

my eyes hurt trying to read your sig.....
but you have a solid drivetrain eating up some power.
take it to the track and see how she runs...

fwiw, is this another "Mamo" combo?
Old 11-26-2005, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

A4's and dyno's go together like turds and hotdog buns. Use the dyno to tune you A/F with and then run the A4 at the track to see how well it performs. I LOVE to race dyno's.. so that's why I have a 6 speed
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gomer
A4's and dyno's go together like turds and hotdog buns.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys. The motor's in and the FLP level5 4L65E is in ... haven't installed the 12-bolt yet. It and the driveshaft should be here, hopefully, this week. I'll report back the dyno numbers soon. I'll also answer all the questions I can. It's going to the track in about 2 weeks and I'll report track details, as well. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Atleast now it can handle a big nitrous shot
Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Thanks guys. The motor's in and the FLP level5 4L65E is in ... haven't installed the 12-bolt yet. It and the driveshaft should be here, hopefully, this week. I'll report back the dyno numbers soon. I'll also answer all the questions I can. It's going to the track in about 2 weeks and I'll report track details, as well. Thanks guys.
Mikes dyno is about 10-15hp low compaired to other dynos, and I`ve always picked up about 20hp on his dyno w/converter locked. If I`m at the track when you go I`ll try to help you with your burnout and launch, you should be able to get 1.59 to 1.62 60's with your setup and OSW has been hooking pretty good lately.

See ya, Dave
Old 11-28-2005, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Default Thanks Dave ... appreciate it.

Yeah, it seems Mike's dyno is known to produce substantially lower #'s than most dyno's. With the coverter locked, I agree, it should give up about 20 RWHP. I think the SS3600 is about 95% efficient (which seems to be about right).

As for the waterbox and staging, I certainly appreciate any pointers if you're there. I plan to hit the waterbox and do a slight burnout until I feel the car start to pull down. Then, I was going to stall it up to about 2500 rpm and floor it. I believe this is how I'll approach my first launch ... glad to hear the track is hooking better.

... maybe they're prep'ing it better and throwing more VHT at it?

Jack
Old 11-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Yea, Mike's dyno is a little low. Had a buddy dyno 11rw less their, compared to Auto Tuners(when they had their dyno). Put the 12bolt in and bring it to the track!

P.S. I'm the kid you met today at the BP
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

It was cool meeting you today, man. I've seen you around town several times. Nice red SS you got there. I'll prob race on Sunday ... not sure yet. I think I'll pull a pretty good timeslip if I can get a good launch.

Since I put the MT ETStreet radials on today, I can feel a world of power difference in the feel of the car ... compared to how it felt before the engine work Mike's folks did for me.

Gotta' run. i'll be talkin' to you ... take care.

Jack
Old 11-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Banned

I know you're gonna have some great times Jack!
Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, but, I'm so committed financially, I won't be able to the nitrous setup I want until next year. I liked Dave's S/C setup so much, I have about decided to go that route, which will take me another year or two. A good DP nitrous setup like I want is about half the price of a S/C, so, I'm thinking I'll be patient and wait so i don't have to keep refilling the bottle ... only thing is, the heat in the summer is my concern with a S/C. Nice having the power ALL the time, though. Right now, I'm having a little more fun with my new setup for sure. Once I put the MT ET streets on, that's when the fun really started ... irregardless of the dyno numbers, I think I'll pull low 11's with good track conditions and some practice launches ... just my $.02 worth.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Yea, PM me or something if you do descide to go, we can meet up before heading out somewhere. I probably will end up going.. But the weather will descide on whether I run or not.. I want to break 12's!
Old 12-03-2005, 03:36 AM
TECH Addict

There's about 10 cars supposed to meet up at SCC at 9:15 on Sunday morning. You ought to meet up there with us if you plan on going early. I may leve later than that, but I'm not sure what time I'll head out there if I don't leave early. I'll PM you otnight or early tomorrow a.m..
Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

... decided to not race my car today ... don't wanna' snap my 10-bolt ... 12-bolt will be in soon ... been 4 weeks since it was ordered. I'll post up when the 12-bolt goes in and it's dyno'd.