Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Another AFR & 224/228 Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another AFR & 224/228 Install

After a year of casual deliberation followed by 3 months of serious trade studies on cam selection and countless IMs to guys like Sidestep, Tony Mamo and Patrick G- I decided to follow the widely known AFR recipe, with one small variation with the mill to .030 for a tad higher compression (ok-ed by Tony for the land of 93 octane). Seemed like the right set up for a 99.9% street car/summer daily driver that gets a ton of bumper to bumper traffic. So 2 weeks ago, I put my car up on the jackstands and my buddy and I start tearing it apart. After a few nights of 2 to 3 hour work sessions and we buttoned it up on Monday. All went well for my first cam swap.... Final activity was a quick injector swap in the parking lot this morning at Speed Inc. and I handed the keys to Jon and Larry and let them do their magic.

The net result was a 429HP & 392 torque. I think thats pretty stout considering I have some heavy *** repro wheels/nittos, a 4.10 rear and running cats. I think my torque would go up nicely with a set of LG headers- and I know the fast 90/90 would be good for 20 up top, maybe midrange too if Tony would port it for me- but I am now flat broke for the summer so needless to say, I'll be enjoying my current power levels for the time being.

For what its worth, I got 31mpg on the way home.
Attached Thumbnails Another AFR & 224/228 Install-dyno1.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

oh, other mods are in my sig. Its a 99 Vette with 51K on the clock.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

looks good! I love my combo!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MSGHUFF
looks good! I love my combo!
Thanks man. I'm pretty sure I saw your sig a while back and you were the one that made up my mind for me. I want to know where you get all your extra torque.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tq curve is nice and flat just like mine. You will kill alot of bigger cammed cars on the street..believe me!

Im having my car retuned with speed density by ECS. Ive seen the results off an LG gs-x3 cam and AFR heads combo vette that had an LS1 edit tune previously.... freakin thing idles smoother than my setup! and he picked up 10 rwt! 11 RWHP! EFI Live opens up alot more tables for the tuner to really tune the car the best it can be.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice number man
Old 06-29-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice numbers through your 410 gear.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice, must be a handful with those 4.10's. I am a little lower than you in the HP and am considering a move to 3.73's from 3.42's next winter.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you could find a little more power with that combo with a little more time on the dyno. See sig, all tuning done at Finish Line Performance by Dan Bills.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

You would pick up A LOT of power with 90/90, LG headers, and might as well throw on the electric water pump as well. That should put you over 450.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I think you could find a little more power with that combo with a little more time on the dyno. See sig, all tuning done at Finish Line Performance by Dan Bills.
Thanks. I'm sure that even a SD tune would get me a few just to get rid of the Maf, but I'm not really chasing a number. Just wanted a fast street car (well, faster than all the bolt ons). I like Dan and his reputation speaks for itself but I didn't want to be lugging back and forth to Aurora (hour drive one way) every time something comes up. That's why I went to Speed Inc.

I'm having some low speed surging that I think is because of the injectors. Long story about why I have 42s, but the part throttle jumpiness I sometimes experience is something I'm wondering about. Not sure if it can be tuned out or if the 42 is just plain to much injector.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Louie83
You would pick up A LOT of power with 90/90, LG headers, and might as well throw on the electric water pump as well. That should put you over 450.
I'd bet 450 no problem with all that. Can't say that the water pump and headers are on my list but it sounds nice- but that fast 90/90 would be nice if I could muster up the coin. I bet that alone would get me over that 450 mark, but its not in the budget for this year. This project nickel and dimed me. Belts, fluids, seals, gaskets, bolts, etc... The hidden costs put me a grand past where I thought I'd be- that's the fast 90 right there.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Very nice, must be a handful with those 4.10's. I am a little lower than you in the HP and am considering a move to 3.73's from 3.42's next winter.
The 4.10 is what kept me out of my motor for 2 years. It was the single best mod I did up until now. The whole package just rips. I'm not sure that 3.73s would be enough for me. Obviously, everyone has a preference- I'd just suggest you take a real peak at 3.90s unless you are a roadcourse guy.

I was afraid of the 4.10 at first... gas milage, short shifting, etc. Man, I tell everyone it should come like that from the factory. Only way I'd stay with 3.42s would be with a blower.

Take care man-
Dave
Old 06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Impressive numbers man & get the other supporting mods to approach 450rwhp

peace
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Great numbers across the board. Did you have to flycut?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Teching In

No flycutting here. Funny, I started out with a bigger cam- say F13 type specs and gradually worked my way down. I even toyed with those LSK lobes that Patrick G. first posted about but no data and valve spring concerns pointed me back to the tried and true 224/228 on a 114. But all along, flycutting was never in the books for me. I was nervous enough just doing the cam for the first time, let alone putting smilies on my pistons.

I know that Tony had seen evidence of PTV contact, but it was real minor and he had lotsa miles, multiple track days and 400+ dyno runs to 7K. He wasn't concerned about it and I'm not either.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bandit_99
Thanks. I'm sure that even a SD tune would get me a few just to get rid of the Maf, but I'm not really chasing a number. Just wanted a fast street car (well, faster than all the bolt ons). I like Dan and his reputation speaks for itself but I didn't want to be lugging back and forth to Aurora (hour drive one way) every time something comes up. That's why I went to Speed Inc.

I'm having some low speed surging that I think is because of the injectors. Long story about why I have 42s, but the part throttle jumpiness I sometimes experience is something I'm wondering about. Not sure if it can be tuned out or if the 42 is just plain to much injector.
Great numbers. I have done several cars with 42's and never had a problem. Those injectors aren't too much IMO, they are about perfect for a HC setup as they leave room for future mods. Depending on where the surging is at, it could be part of the package or it could be something that can be tuned out. That combo should really drive almost like stock.

Congrats!!
Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Great numbers. I have done several cars with 42's and never had a problem. Those injectors aren't too much IMO, they are about perfect for a HC setup as they leave room for future mods. Depending on where the surging is at, it could be part of the package or it could be something that can be tuned out. That combo should really drive almost like stock.

Congrats!!
Thanks man. The surging is all at low rpm, light throttle. Usually right after a let off and deceleration and then I put my foot on the gas to lightly accelerate. That's the point where I get some abrubt jerking. Happens in all gears. The set up is like stock in all other aspects- I didn't really notice it much as I rowed through the gears on my way home...but now after spending 2 days in regular driving conditions, I notice it big time. Honestly, when it was not tuned I didn't have this at all- leading me to believe that the tune/injectors was the culprit.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Teching In

I asked Larry at Speed Inc. about it and he suggested that the 42s have issues like this. I just want to know if it can be addressed with fine tuning or if I really have too big of injectors.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i run 42's on mine and it runs very smooth,no injectors will give you suring/bucking,but a tune that isnt real good will.you need to have them go over the tune with a fine tooth comb.