Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Accuracy of dyno with loss of tach signal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accuracy of dyno with loss of tach signal

Ok guys I am just curious what you guys would believe.

There is a thread on another board were the dyno results in question are well lets just say very high.

The car was dynoed on a Mustang dyno and lost the tach signal but the owner of the vehicle keeps saying the #s are real. He has never posted a graph that has not been left unmolested from a crayon and never has shown a full pull graph just a partial graph.

The combo he has is making a additional 200 more rwtq than any other comparable setup but all his friends keep saying the #s are real.

So the question is how valid is a run with the loss of a tach signal and what #s are effected by this loss of signal?

Les
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

The rpm(tach) signal is one of the main calculation pts on the mustang dyno. RPM and the strain gauge are big parts in the hp/tq equation, any dips or fallouts can and will cause a odd dyno graph.

Some of the new dyno software from mustang does happen to have a obd2 (autotap) connection to pickup a better way of RPM.

So yes, any changes in rpm pickup will give a false reading, even +200tq.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

He also never vids the rest of the setup parameters on the MD software screen. I looked closely at the vids to see if the vehicle weight or rpm range of the pull was realistic. I also didn't see the correction factor. I know from building the computer, installing the software, and setting up part of the hardware on my neighbor's MD250 that I can make it read any damn thing I want it to if I were so inclined. Combine that with the totally unrealistic liter-bike race vids and earlier BS dyno half pulls, and I would say that someone is an attention ***** instead of a racer. To answer your original question, a run on a Mustang dyno is completely blown if the tach signal is lost. Also, if running a Smarttach, the rpm can also be fudged by improper setup.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
The rpm(tach) signal is one of the main calculation pts on the mustang dyno. RPM and the strain gauge are big parts in the hp/tq equation, any dips or fallouts can and will cause a odd dyno graph.

Some of the new dyno software from mustang does happen to have a obd2 (autotap) connection to pickup a better way of RPM.

So yes, any changes in rpm pickup will give a false reading, even +200tq.
Damn, I will have to check their site. An OBD rpm pickup would be sweet. That would leave the smartach available to read driveshaft rpm to measure auto TC slip.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gametech
He also never vids the rest of the setup parameters on the MD software screen. I looked closely at the vids to see if the vehicle weight or rpm range of the pull was realistic. I also didn't see the correction factor. I know from building the computer, installing the software, and setting up part of the hardware on my neighbor's MD250 that I can make it read any damn thing I want it to if I were so inclined. Combine that with the totally unrealistic liter-bike race vids and earlier BS dyno half pulls, and I would say that someone is an attention ***** instead of a racer. To answer your original question, a run on a Mustang dyno is completely blown if the tach signal is lost. Also, if running a Smarttach, the rpm can also be fudged by improper setup.
I realize this as well but I just wanted to get some unbiased opinions on this because the guys on this board call it like it is period.

Les
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

If you want hardcore unmoderated opinions, try yellowbullet. They will tear pro racers that you see on tv to shreds if they post BS.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

If you want hardcore unmoderated opinions, try yellowbullet. They will tear pro racers that you see on tv to shreds if they post BS.
I have heard of that site gonna need to check it out thanks.

Les
Old 12-29-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can make it read any damn thing I want it to if I were so inclined.
Thats more the issue than the tach input.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. Let him post that junk over there. See what happens.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:26 AM
10 Second Club

he will never post it here either.....lol

you rock les

Quick Reply: Accuracy of dyno with loss of tach signal