Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Surprising #'s from Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Surprising #'s from Z06...

Went against the grain and went w/ the un-popular Callaway CAI instead of everyone's favorite, the KillerBee, for my C6 Z06...

The only other modification was a 160 thermostat.

Off the street, with just those two mods and stock tuning, she pulled 477rwhp,449rwtq sae.

After a few pulls (only 5 more pulls total to get everything pretty much perfect as far as afr/ and timing), she spit out
497rwhp/459rwtq SAE

I was more than impressed to be honest w/ ya. The car was tuned by RPM in NC and before anyone believes that their dyno reads high, Please note that the last Z06 that they dyno'd before mine was an 07 w/ killerbee, tb spacer and after tuning she maxed out at 469rwhp sae... Others were right around those numbers w/ one being a little less impressive than that one and another being pretty much right on par w/ the aforementioned 07...

Looks like I got a factory freak on my hands Either that or the LS7 was looking over me

Here's the youtube vid of the last dyno pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqHebVrLhfE

and a couple of shots of the dyno graph
SAE Graph w/ smoothing correction of 5...

STD Graph w/ smoothing correction of 5...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats She is a keeper
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM
Teching In

ps - Forgot to mention that they also pulled the fuse to leave the butterflies open before we made any dyno pulls (considering that they open anyways at WOT, not sure if any sticklers would consider that an actual mod or not)...

pps - Also forgot to metion that the lil video I quickly through together contains like 4 seconds of a yellow Z06 going down the dragstrip. That is NOT my car; that was just a clip of like the first Z ever going down the strip that was posted on the net years ago... Just kinda filled in the gaps and was handy on the hard drive...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It seems like the harder these cars are ran the more power they will make. I've done several that have been babied around and they do around 470ish totally stock.. then you get some like one I did with slicks on all 4 corners and spent most of its days on the track make 493rwhp.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome numbers, factory freak
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 5301113
Congrats She is a keeper
You can say that again bro; and thx for the kind words.

Lurked around forever, but I usually spend a lot of my browsing time moderating on a local board full of diverse performance cars...

But I like the fact that big boys post on here, Brady (madman and co) and others!! Talk about having knowledge on tap...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Alvin@pcmforless.com
It seems like the harder these cars are ran the more power they will make. I've done several that have been babied around and they do around 470ish totally stock.. then you get some like one I did with slicks on all 4 corners and spent most of its days on the track make 493rwhp.
Just wondering, can you go back and look at the years of the aforementioned cars. We were starting to see a sort of trend at the local shop, and was just wondering if anyone else would sort of confirm one's speculation.

Like do any year Z's seem to result in a lil higher numbers than others?? Or do you think it's just the break-in period along w/ factory tolerances that cause the sometimes huge gap in performance as you spoke of. Simply put, my car actually laid out a good deal more than another Z w/ killerbee, longtubes and tuning... Like a 25+rwhp difference at peak...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only tuned a few but they have been all over the place results-wise
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did 2 bone stockers back to back about a year ago, and they made within 1 hp of each other.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, that's just plain sick. About 500rwhp from a stock engine with cold air, a thermostat, and a tune.....I need more money.

Congrats on those killer numbers.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I don't want to sound like I'm boasting or anything but I've done a bunch of them.. I'd guess between 15 and 18 now. Which is not a huge amount.. but its more than I've seen on the road and I think its a good number for such a low production car.

Theres no difference in power between the years. There is a great difference between how they are treated IMHO. For instance.. one of the first ones I did was a pre-production 2006 Pace car.. That car had the **** beat out of it at the daytona 500 and consequently it was one that dynoed in the upper 480s after a good tune. Another one I did had slicks on all 4 corners and was used soley on the track. it even had the headliner removed to give the guys helmet some more room. It did 493 with a K&N FIPK and a good tune.

We did three of them in one day once that had less than 1000 miles on them (one had 22miles) They all varied greatly before the tune one as low as 425rwhp and one has high as 440 rwhp but all three ended up on 468-470rwhp after the tune..

Heres some eye candy

http://pcmforless.com/images/dynosheets/pacecar.jpg
http://pcmforless.com/images/crap/vettes.jpg (yellow is non Z06)
http://pcmforless.com/images/crap/vettes2.jpg (yellow is non Z06)
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...g/100_0732.jpg (the one with slicks)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

And here I thought that CAI was a good one. Great results. Does it feel any faster? :+)

D.J.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

get that weaksauce out of here BJ... lol...

nice man, we all need to get together in the wilson/rm area...maybe do some bowling,shottin range or some shat...

jeff
Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Your #'s seen right for a new z06. On my tuner's mustang dyno they get around 450hp stock with about 3,000mi on them. He can tune another 20-25hp in them easy. Add 25-30hp because your on a dynojet and it still comes out.I see no freak here. The c6 z,is an awsome car........I wish I was not poor
Throw a 150 shot on that thing.

Last edited by mike c.; 01-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Alvin, I can kinda confirm your point. One should expect to see some differences due to manufacturer tolerances, but the difference in numbers I've noticed on different Z's have kinda surprised me. Maybe they do like to be ran hard, hell maybe from the get go people should break em in like they're gonna drive em... All I know is that I'm extremely pleased w/ the numbers mine put down right off the street; As even more impressed w/ the extra numbers Ryan was able to get out of it.

OneQuickCoupe, For some reason you just rarely see people running this CAI. I'll admit, the install is a pain in the *** requiring you to remove the oil cooler and what not. But it's a well thought out piece and makes sense in my mind. It didn't do bad on the dyno either (even though many feel that it's not a dyno friendly cai, like the huge killerbee, k&n and others)...

Thinks for the kind words everyone else.

BlkSheep, That's a big will do as soon as it warms up a little. Some PLP'n will be nice and Drew needs to get that Stang back from Fastlane...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Nice, nothing wrong with having a FREAK!!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by beardWS6
YEAH SUPER FREAK!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by beardWS6
You talking about the garage or the bed-room??

To hell with it, I AGREE ON BOTH ACCOUNTS
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well Rock there's nothing wrong with the Hall Tech stuff as I have been running one of his CAI's on my C-5 going on 7 years and it works great. I haven't modified my C6Z in any way however and may not until I put a few more miles on it, (it has 16.5K on it right now). They claim this engine really comes into it's own after 20k so we shall see. It has a great deal of power stock and feels much lighter than it really is. It's a great all around car. I drive it to work every day.

D.J.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Teching In

My Z's got some catching up to do to get to yours. I don't drive it but a few times a week at most, but that's usually somewhere out of town just so I can enjoy the car a little.

And I agree, there's nothing wrong w/ the killerbee's, that's what everyone goes with. Put the vette-air along w/ it and I really think you might have something. I just didn't like the fact that the Killerbee sits under the hood and has no access to fresh air other than I'm guessing the lil intake infront of the hood... Although it's obvious that it can suck a ton of air pretty damn restriction free, Why suck a ton of hot engine bay air?? That reason and that reason alone made me choose the Callaway setup...

Quick Reply: Surprising #'s from Z06...