Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

WTF, my car is torqueless!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation WTF, my car is torqueless!

Since I bought my car I felt it a bit torqueless... I couldn't even spin my tires in the street when flooring it It's 01 WS6 A4 with 73K miles, the car runs PERFECT, it feel brand new, doesn't burn up any oil, etc. The car has new spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, etc.

I installed an slp lid, long tubes and true duals this past week and took it to the dyno... this were the results WITHOUT a tune:

I think the torque numbers are really low

The only problem I see is that the true duals bends were very shitty. I need to take it back to the shop and get mandrel bends cause they ones they made are something like this:

Could this be affecting me so much in the torque department?

EDIT: THis is without a tune, rear O2s and AIR removed, check light on...

Last edited by Drowned; 06-01-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need a tune....BADLY. Honestly, what did you expect with that horrible hack job exhaust, removing your rear 02's and AIR without getting a tune? Hell, people pick up all kinds of power with just a tune after adding exhaust, imagine what would/will happen when you get a tune and take care of the CEL issues.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say your car should have over 300 ft lbs. stock. Even with a shitty tune his torque numbers should be better.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

you are missing some TQ...something to think about with that exhaust is when they crush bend or similar bends you usually loose about .5inch in exhaust size so if you have crush bent 3 inch exhaust you are looking at 2.5 inches in the bends...go with a 3.5 inch pipe in the bends and it should be close to the 3 inch exhaust...since you have true duals however 2.5 inch exhaust should suffice for up to 450-500 hp (guessing, correct me if im wrong)...get a tune...replace the 02s and delete the AIR and EGR and you will be perfect...if you are still having problems you should do a leakdown test just to verify everything is peachy on the inside...

(i am no tech here but just compiling knowledge i have picked up on here...so if im wrong about something dont hold me to it! just trying to help)
Old 06-02-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could your stock converter be eating up some alot of torque if it is pretty well worn out?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the converter wasn't locked the numbers are basically fubar.

Doesn't really look like it was slipping though, I'd do a tune and even the worst true duals are STILL an improvement over the stock exhaust. 2 x 2.5inch area still outflows 1x2.75 area despite crushbends. It just means at low velocity ie low rpm, the exhaust has to be forced out a bit more. It won't rob a car of 50ft/lb of torque when it's still getting 300hp...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tranny could be taking a **** but honestly guys, when your car is throwing CEL codes for the rear 02's/AIR that means "limp mode". Not only that but it wasn't tuned for the additional exhaust flow he has now which could possibly make things that much worse.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM
12 Second Club

COT probably also needs to be disabled if you removed the cats. Also if that A/F is right it looks pretty rich which could be a result of having all these codes set.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Tranny could be taking a **** but honestly guys, when your car is throwing CEL codes for the rear 02's/AIR that means "limp mode". Not only that but it wasn't tuned for the additional exhaust flow he has now which could possibly make things that much worse.
The car does not go into limp mode just because the CEL is on. The rear o2's/air system will not cause any loss in power. The rear o2's are simply there to make sure the cats are working correctly.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
The car does not go into limp mode just because the CEL is on. The rear o2's/air system will not cause any loss in power. The rear o2's are simply there to make sure the cats are working correctly.
That's what I thought and researched before doing the header installation... all posts I found said it didn't affect power... neither did removing the air.

Torque converter going bad sounds logical but my tranny is shifting perfectly. No symptoms of a bad tranny/converter or anything similar It's really weird that I have so low torque numbers... lower than stock cars. The lowest torque numbers I found here on LS1tech were 298 from a stock 98 LS1 with an A4. I'm 20 lower on my best run
Old 06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

***Was shown the way by Black01M6SS***

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 06-03-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't? Then why is his car running so rich? Oh thats right, it doesn't affect power

Any time a DTC code is thrown, IT WILL cause the car to dump fuel and run horrible. Do a search for DTC codes and all the problems people have with them concerning the front and rear o2's.
Ok, you really don't seem to get it. Running rich in closed loop will cause a DTC to be set. It is not the DTC that causes the car to run rich. Your thinking seems to be backwards. There are many DTC that can be set without the car going into limp mode...in fact I've only seen a handful of cars ever go into limp mode.

I'm a Ford automotive tech by the way.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, you really don't seem to get it. Running rich in closed loop will cause a DTC to be set. It is not the DTC that causes the car to run rich. Your thinking seems to be backwards. There are many DTC that can be set without the car going into limp mode...in fact I've only seen a handful of cars ever go into limp mode.

I'm a Ford automotive tech by the way.
You sir are correct, my bad. I still think without a tune, he's shorting himself quite a bit but that doesn't explain his lack of torque before the current mods.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

You sir are correct, my bad. I still think without a tune, he's shorting himself quite a bit but that doesn't explain his lack of torque before the current mods.
I know I can't figure it out... the car runs so smooth
Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 AM
11 Second Club

maybe it's just a factory fruit?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
maybe it's just a factory fruit?

Get those codes cleared immediately there probably the #1 problem with yor #s

Am I the only one that sees that his A/F is in the low low low 12's the entire run?

Maybe the previous owner tuned it for spray or something and richened up the entire tune

Lean it out between 12.8 to 13.3 add a little timing and watch it pick up power across the board

Try another Dyno and see if the problems consistant
Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

i agree your rich for one thing

for another if the tq con wasnt locked then disreguard all your #'s
everyone does them locked convertor

fix the issues you have

get a tune

re dyno!

if problem still persisits then worry about the low numbers