Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

403ci stroker dyno results...long, but a good read

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 403ci stroker dyno results...long, but a good read

Well, I first have to take my hat off to our vendors and supporting tuners. Without the help of them, this wouldn't have been as easy or fun.

Ok, fast forward a couple months. I was very happy with the gains from my last header swap, but thought the setup should have been making more power. This is a list of what I changed from my last dyno to where the car stands today:

LME built 403-----same unchanged
AFR 225cc heads-----same unchanged
11.8:1 SCR-----same unchanged
7.67 DCR------up to 8.68:1 with new cam
244/250 .650/.650 114lsa cam-----changed to G5X4
Tex OZ700------Changed to Z00M twin disc
LG Pro LT's w/cats------deleted cats
C6Z06 Stock Exhaust-----same unchanged
Ported FAST 90mm-----same unchanged
Ported TB------same unchanged
UD pulley------same unchanged
FMS 30lb injectors------changed to FMS 42lb injectors
Stock descreened maf------changed to Lingenfelter 100mm
Stock water pump------changed to Meizre Electric pump
Stock rocker arms-------changed to Yella Terras

You can see below, the car made great power with the old setup peaking at 502/468.

So I started to look at small things to make up the difference. The first of which was my Tex OZ700 clutch. It failed on me causing a vibration. I settled on a clutch from a company called Zoom. The came out with a twin disc that is holding the power great, and was significantly lighter. The stock clutch checked in at 57.5lbs, the Tex came in at 43.5lbs, and the new Zoom with aluminum flywheel at 29.5lbs.

While the car was in for the clutch swap I had them swap out the stock water pump for a Meizre electric unit. Seems to work fine and does it's job. The temps are a few degrees warmer at highway speeds but in stop and go traffic it now never goes over 190. The temps are kept within a tighter range and are much more consistent.

Hearing all the talk of rocker arms I figured it might be another area where I could pick up some hp. I turned to LME for advice and they recommended Jesels, Harlands, or Yella Terras. Being that it was a price decision only, I chose the Yella Terras which were right around $400.00.

After looking at some of my scan logs I noticed that my injector duty cylcle was up in the 94-97% range depending on what AFR I tuned the car for. I replaced these with a set of 42lb Ford Motorsport Balanced units. This would give me more headroom without running on the ragged edge.

Hearing so much about the larger 100m maf units and seeing GM is now using them as stock equipment on the 08+newer cars I ordered up a Lingenfelter 100mm maf for it's plug and play setup. Although I needed to trim my intake(calloway honker) to get it to fit, it was well worth it. It didn't fit because the fast intake moves the whole intake setup forward about 1". I also lost a little distance due to my nitrous plate moving the tb forward even more.

The last area of attention was the cam. I knew the low DCR was hurting tq. I didn't know how much, but the low DCR I was running wasn't ideal. I called up LG motorsports and spoke with Bobby about my setup. He suggested a G5X4 cam. I was VERY skeptical about his suggestion, and especially being on a 111 lsa was worried about the overall driveability of this setup. It was smaller, less overall lift, and a narrower lsa..I figured this was a poor choice. However, I am not a cam expert, that is why I called for their suggestion. I took his advice and after running some calcs with a friend of mine(Alan) I saw that this cam brought my DCR up 1 full point! I felt better about the suggestion cam and placed the order.

I seriously contemplated changing the heads on the car. With all the great results from Trick flows and L92's etc. it really got me thinking. This post serves that if you have a decent cyl head on the car it can still make ok power, but if not setup properly and matched with the right cam it won't make great power. I'm glad I didn't change the heads on the car.

I've been driving the car around for a month breaking in the clutch and decided to meet up with Jeremy Formato for him to tune the car. The results blew me away and I couldn't be happier. After about 7 pulls we had the car dialed in. The final results are below. The gains are as follows:

30wtq gain peak!
25whp gain peak!
43wtq gain under the curve!

Ok, I decided to make a pull with the C6Z06 exhaust butterflies closed vs. open. WOW, the results speak for themselves. I drive around with them closed most of the time, seems like I might change that arrangement. Results below:

I have to thank Bobby and the crew over at LG motorsports. I actually was in Dallas on business a few weeks ago and had a chance to meet Bobby and Sean. Thanks guys for taking the time to talk to us and show us around the shop.

A big thanks to Horsepower Sales for putting the car together. Couldn't have done it without your patience and assistance through my clutch situation.

And last but not least, Jeremy Fomato for his knowledge and skill in tuning cars.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to explain why I made the changes so that you get a better picture how the gains were made.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:28 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Nice numbers..

For a second I though you yanked the LS7 and installed a 402 ls2 in your Z06..
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 AM
10 Second Club

Very nice results. I bet it is a blast to drive..
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

It is a blast. My best mph prior to the changes was about 96.9 in the 1/8th and 127mph in the 1/4. That is before the header change as well. I went to the local 1/8 mile and was able to best my previous best to 98.2mph after the header swap. I'm confident I should be able to pull a low 100mph 1/8th now and crack 130mph in the 1/4mile.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 09-06-2008, 08:19 AM

Very good read! Thatks for taking the time to explain it right. Enjoy your new found power!
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very glad to hear about all the power you made using the g5x4 in a 402.

Bobby and Sean at LG Motorsports are both class acts. I send people to them all the time. Congrats on all the extra power you found once you made a few changes and got her tuned. I hear great things about Jeremy Formato when it comes to being able to tune a car. He's one of the really good ones.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's some crazy torque. I can't belive how much you lost closing the exhaust. Over 30rwhp, that's disgusting.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Now thats how you dial in a setup. Power every where. Great post! I be checking with those guys here soon myself. I don't think guys are gonna have much to say about those badges. Looks like you've earned them.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

They aren't Z06 badges, they are Z51 badges. I know it's kind of "poserish" but I bought them before there was a Z06 in the C6 bodystyle. Everyone thinks it says Z06 though. LOL.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Regular

those gains under the curve are impressive !
Old 09-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Launching!

You are quite welcome to copy my setup any time buddy!

I'm quite glad I FINALLY talked you into choosing that smaller cam that'll make less peak power....

This goes to show that a smaller setup with properly matched components/cr's will work quite well.

FWIW, my setup: 402/ETP 215's same cam/bolt-ons pulled 524/491 through 3.90's and a stock C5Z06 maf on the same dyno.....Great looking graph Dougie!

Quick Reply: 403ci stroker dyno results...long, but a good read